General VR and AR chinwag
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    If you're on your back, isn't the camera stuck looking at the sky??  Or for e.g. doplhin does it not move the camera with your head, and just give you 3d ness?

You can split the effect of the OR into two parts, the headtracking looking around stuff, which people can imagine quite easily, and the depth perception stuff, which is very hard to get your head around till youve done it. I know you personally have but some time fiddling with it really tunes you into it

I find the depth perception aspect much more important than the headtracking, which has been around forever and woulda been made into a big thing already if anyone could be arsed with it, and it adds a massive sense of location even with fixed cameras, the gc/wii games i played just felt so much better with it, the first 30 seconds of mario galaxy 2 (upon loading the rom) fill you with a sense of space and it sates a previously unrealised hunger for that sensation.

So yeah, no headtracking, just your driver running through dolphin giving you depth perception, very satisfying and the headsets really comfortable on my head at least, and cause no head tracking you can lie back with your feet up or on the sofa and just absorb it, seems most wii games wont really be that hard to control with a reg 360 pad given the galaxy 2 thing

I went on a bit there but i had that point to make, this things all about the depth thing
  • Oh hang on isnt some company pushing a console form factor games machine based on regular pc parts that can run emulators and let you use hacks like im using? HMMM WONDER WHATS GONNA BE BIGTALKED SOON
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ouya's already out mate
  • SNES emulators are so pre-2000 man
  • Also! They really need to keep making games like Dear Esther, limitless amounts of them ideally, the first two sections remind me of clifftop walks ive been on in cornwall, and its such a curious feeling when you're meant to feel like you can reach out and touch something. It's not like things have been made from nothing for your enjoyment that obey hardware and development rules, its like cameras pointed at something real thats been made cruder for some arbitrary reason. Like some truman show im staring at some plants blowing in the wind and it seems funny they're a texture applied to flat billboards (a square, 2 tri-polygons) that contort via algorithms, when they're comically replacing real plants that should look kinda similar
  • Okay that's done it, time for some proper hyperbole, say what you like about Dear Esthers literary pretensions (i neither care for nor dislike the narration), if you dont come out of the 3rd section completely set on this, like not really encouraging this (both the game style and the reality portal you strapped to your head), then you are factually fucking stupid. THATS AN ACTUAL FACT.

I really hope they get on that and give it some proper OR support just so bodies of water dont make you feel weird cause the reflections are all messed up while using tridef but yeah. No words. Loads of words. Gobsmacked. People need to see this.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is the third section the cave bit?
  • Is the third section the cave bit?

Yeah, the whole thing is absolutely beautiful really, and your attention and the flow is guided so well, looking up the cliffs is daunting, real sense of scale to everything, the caves section is well, i thought it was very pretty the 3 or 4 times ive been through it using a regular display. On this thing i was constantly bowled over by what i was seeing and how i was seeing it and one amazing vista is one-upped by the next vista (and you shouldnt forget to turn around sometimes and see whats behind you) and yeah, eventually theres one bit where you just have to stop for a good long while to take it all in, and be a bit boggled. I personally swore and didnt know what to think so i stayed still for a bit and looked around, eventually moved on to the end of the section and then took off the headset and ranted madly at my fiancee.

I'm still excited i got the final section in front of me im just readying to sleep at a silly time of the day and that last bit give me good stuff to think about while i go at it. I just cannot comprehend how anyone could not love it
  • Gunn, is it quite easy then to get HL2 and Dear Esther running nicely? My mate's rift is now pretty much sitting in a corner gathering dust (cause he's useless) and I'm going to ask him if I can borrow it. All your exciting jibber-jabber really has me itching to play HL2.
  • If you borrow it, youre in for some good stuff! Cant talk about a  few things cause high seas and stuff be yeah, just message me with anything you need

Strongly recommend you use xbox controller everything else is wank, and when plying hl2 you got a few commands, you want a control system built around your pad. HL 2 has ages in credibly handsomething thanks to this i hope yiu enjoy it as much as i to. HL2 is an action game though and they can make you sick for a bit till you get used to it bu t i swear designed to be enjoed this way

If you want a gentle but beautiful look into oculus - grab dear esther from steam, the message me, il get it set up nice. You wont forget that. You wont forget hl2, its as potent as ever, but if you can spare the cash, get dear esther, i can tell you in private how to get it running

Anythings non dodgy to help im happy to i guess
  • It'd never have occurred to me to use the Occy with 3rd-person titles.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    It'd never have occurred to me to use the Occy with 3rd-person titles.

Yeah... That would be a little disconcerting.

Unless you take the whole "Rear Window" route, and make the main character external to your avatar.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    If you borrow it, youre in for some good stuff! Cant talk about a  few things cause high seas and stuff be yeah, just message me with anything you need Strongly recommend you use xbox controller everything else is wank, and when plying hl2 you got a few commands, you want a control system built around your pad. HL 2 has ages in credibly handsomething thanks to this i hope yiu enjoy it as much as i to. HL2 is an action game though and they can make you sick for a bit till you get used to it bu t i swear designed to be enjoed this way If you want a gentle but beautiful look into oculus - grab dear esther from steam, the message me, il get it set up nice. You wont forget that. You wont forget hl2, its as potent as ever, but if you can spare the cash, get dear esther, i can tell you in private how to get it running Anythings non dodgy to help im happy to i guess

Cheers, dude! I'll see if I can get it off him and will get in touch if I need help. Dear Esther sounds great. And HL2 is one of my all time favs.
  • I bet Dear Esther is totally brilliant on this, one of the few games I can feel working really well, although the lack of feet would ruin my brain a but. 

I'm gonna spoiler some pictures just because this isn't really the thread for it, but the caves are bewitching.
    Spoiler:
  • Brooks wrote:
    It'd never have occurred to me to use the Occy with 3rd-person titles.

What 3rd person titles do you refer to? Anything with mouselook can usually take advantage of headtracking, dark souls for eg looks fine but sad to say it does take a lot of the atmosphere from the game cause stuff looks dorky, ill see if it gears friendly a bit later if you want? The device's strength is in the depth perception as ive said a lot of times, just on the depth perception it makes a shitton of games more attractive and alive. I couldnt even get headtracking working for bioshock infinite so controlled with pad and the effect of stereography was incredible

If anyone needs any kinda help just ask here or pm me if it might mean naughty things, happy to help, can probs give a few pointers on initial use too, make sure the headsets totally comfortable, always use a pad instead of mouse and keyb if you can, if you ever feel remote queasy, stop playing straight away and chill for a few minutes before returning (this gets better over time)

Tempy the fun thing there is you get the just of it but the really incredible stuff you didnt have pictures for and because you feel you're traversing eroded rock as a sense of genune space it all seems more naturally melded together, but with the textures blending and layered and knotted together like its some internals of some crazy rock monster. And i may one day sound like a broken record (hah) but 2D images just dont capture it, like.. you're there, it feels like its the sort of thing thats impossible, if you were actally there it could never happen again, but it can. It has so many odd psychological effects on you when you start identifying with it as real 'this is impossible, but its here, ill never see anything ike this again, but i can'. If youre really in the mood for chilling the fuck out and not just getting to the end you could spend hours in those caves, just strolling down the crannies, looking at everything at every angle. It's like walking from one artistically brilliant concept painting into the next, with the shapes and moods of the geometry changing with the melding geology. Its even hard to put into words the effect some of it has on you when the scale and the artistry and the absolute deftness of form are bowling you over, especially as theres always this twisting flow to everything that guides the eye naturally all around each location

Very, very, cool stuff, if you get chance tempy do not turn it down to play Dear Esther id say its your thang i think but do make sure your driver is all set up for it (Or the games ipd settings etc are right if the support is added in house by then)

Using drivers like Tridef or maybe VorpX by the time any of you guys get them, if the settings are out it can really ruin the sensation so you can grab me for settings suggestions too

I didnt get as much sleep as i was planning too but means more fun occulus stuff! Just need to get smashed again

Can anyone lend me money for rum :( I'm gonna have a shot at mirrors age and gta4 with mods next although i do hear massive vomming in both cases. Also very keen on finding any tridef style software that can do the side-by-side stereoscoping shifting thing because then i can use oculus overlay to get amnesia: dark descent and machine for pigs working with it too
  • I have played Dear Esther (I took those screenshots) and I am aware that they don't really evoke how it must feel in Occulus/heck I really wanted to take gifs of those locations because they only really work in motion with the running water and flickering lights, but I have no idea how to do that. 

It's one of the few i'd like to play on Occulus if I had the chance, including HL2 and things like Penumbra. I'd like it if Routine and Soma got support too, for "the fear". What I really want to see though is a game that lays the HUD on the screen in the same way that it does in Metroid Prime. Reckon that'd be possible? Some way of wrangling the stereoscopic display to get the hud to feel like it was on glass? The dream!
  • There's no reason why you couldnt hae the hud as you say if the game was deved with that.

I think penumbra uses opengl which is an enemy of this stuff atm but ill find a way round it i hope, ill cerainly let you know as Frictional games really would benefit from this stuff. I'll check out routine for you, least see if it works with tridef or similar
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    OR + horror has be intrigued.
  • Oh you know what, i havent returned to outlast with my newfound knowledge yet, and i'm currently going to bizarre lengths to try get Frictionals games working
  • On, I was meaning to ask if you've tried SotC, Gunn?

You did say it's working with a PS2 emulator, didn't you?
  • And I've been meaning to ask, what's the Rift actually like? 

Forget the problems with mapping controls for a second, and the resolution, motion blur, sound, and other technical stuff. 

What I really want to know is this: 

When you're standing still, in a low resolution world, and just looking at a building or whatever, do you feel like you're actually inside the game?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My mate got tantalizingly close to trying the HD Rift dev kit yesterday - he's trying to get Bossa (Surgeon Simulator guys) to write his game, was at their offices, and apparently they had one in earlier in the week (they got sent one because of surgeon simulator, or mates in the right place, or something), but not when he was there.  

They told him it was amazeballs though.  Obviously.
  • A friend of mine has one but I haven't spoken to him in ages, I'm trying to organise a drink or chance meeting where I can bring up popping over to have a go.
  • The avegant things have been getting some press - beams straight to the retina so apparently it's much higher res than LCD/led
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/avegant-retinal-hmd/
  • And I've been meaning to ask, what's the Rift actually like?  Forget the problems with mapping controls for a second, and the resolution, motion blur, sound, and other technical stuff.  What I really want to know is this:  When you're standing still, in a low resolution world, and just looking at a building or whatever, do you feel like you're actually inside the game?

Yeah, basically, when it's working as intended. It's a very odd sensation sometimes which i tried to describe earlier. Normally when i play a game i see it like something has been created out of nothing and delivered on a screen for me to enjoy. With the OR its like whats there is actually there just artificially coarsened or degraded. You know youre playing a game and what youre seeing is computer graphics but the sensation that you can touch the things around you is profound, when you look down and dont see a body its odd, and i suppose the most special thing is youre both actually there and where you are is a place that could never exist, or doesnt exist, which makes wandering around the start of Bioshock Infinite or just experiencing the entirety of Dear Esther so magical

Because of the fairly low resolution (it's about 600x800 pixels for each eye but the entire space isnt even used as the distortion is circular) you do get the sensation of looking at stuff with a camcorder, and im sure the HD screens are fantastic, but it kinda worked for Dear Esther cause it blended details together and made the whole game feel like a walk through mind boggling beautiful concept art that was real
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I watched that just a day or so ago. The dude wants it to be used for media and doesn't state it's a direct competitor for the Rift oddly? 
    Very early kit and suggested that they'll have Rift style early dev kits available Q1 next year. Seems they're punting a proof of concept rig just now. 

Interesting stuff all round though. Reflective beaming straight into the brain hole.

edit @Chumpo! Pesky Riftomaniac getting in the way in the Rift thread. heh
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • djchump wrote:
    The avegant things have been getting some press - beams straight to the retina so apparently it's much higher res than LCD/led http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/avegant-retinal-hmd/

That looks really rad, if it can offer the stereoscopic effect of the oculus it would obv be a winner i'd imagine but im not sure it will come for cheap, and i think the intention of the OR is to put this stuff in the hands of everyone. Will definitely watch out for this though

Also i have a programming challenge for folk, esp anyone who uses Python, or maybe i could get some advice. I've been trying to make a virtual controller for skyrim that will get round the fact that when you use a pad, the mouse and keyboard are disabled and vice versa, and m&k control with an OR is extremely annoying and saps a lot of fun out of it (I definitely recommend using a pad for games with the OR) - problem is with the pad you cant really get headtracking cause without the native support the looking stuff is all zeroed by the stick.

So the trick is to map all the controls needed so you use the pad but via a driver, skyrim thinks you're using the keyboard and mouse. There's a few applications that try to do this, like xpadder, but i dont know how to get it to take mouse input and add it to some degree to the stick, as the stick would both serve as a mouse itself, but some proportion of its input be added to by the OR using tracking software like opentrack to control the mouse in tandem. And there's python based scripted things like freepie, that let you script that functionality itself as it recognises the input from a variety of devices, including even the OR now. If I can do this then I can get headtracking working with a pad in Skyrim with Tridef, which i've found to be my preferred hacky solution to OR retrofitting so far. Someone clever help me!

And until you do and now i'm way more awake than I was last night, time to scour the inets for a solution.
  • isanbard wrote:
    I watched that just a day or so ago. The dude wants it to be used for media and doesn't state it's a direct competitor for the Rift oddly?  Very early kit and suggested that they'll have Rift style early dev kits available Q1 next year. Seems they're punting a proof of concept rig just now.  Interesting stuff all round though. Reflective beaming straight into the brain hole. edit @Chumpo! Pesky Riftomaniac getting in the way in the Rift thread. heh

I think i generally reflect anyone who owns one thankyou! haha

I think it may not compete cause like they said in the article, its like watching a tv from some feet away, so even with a stereoscopic solution it would still be similar to watching a tv, i'm not sure how easy it would be to beam the image all over your retina when it comes to harder angles but part of the rift's effect is it tries (there's still some border) to fill your peripheral vision too, and accounts for your eyes looking around in there. I can only speculate that that pretty fancy device assumes you'll be looking straight forward directly into the source
  • And this is exactly why i dont see the OR as a gaming peripheral:

http://www.vognetwork.com/rifting-to-a-new-reality/118/I-Am-Stereoblind-But-The-Oculus-Rift-Is-My-Corrective-Lens/

Its interesting how it's function for therapy could be immense in so many fields, nevermind just as a tool for generated 3D spaces

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!