General VR and AR chinwag
  • JMW wrote:
    I guess it's like a game of FIFA, where you do a whole match in 20 minutes. You're not running round speeded up like little men in some black & white film from the thirties.

I thought the big selling point was that you got to drove about geographically accurate renditions of the places... you can't have all of those things, it makes no sense.
  • Not sure how geographically accurate it is, most of the towns seem very cut down. Looks good though, and it's just like going to work as a lorry driver, what's not to like.
  • JMW wrote:
    Damn, Euro Truck Simulator on here now. Shit just got real.
    Ahaha yeah I just came to post that!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-23-oculus-rift-plus-euro-truck-simulator-2-equals-the-real-next-gen

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wait... That looks insane...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm imagining an illegal coke and migrant run from Napoli to Dover right about now...
  • I've just jizzed everywhere.
  • Rear view mirror in a truck? Guys a moron.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The presenter is an absolute... Vsauce (well worth looking up if you haven't heard of the dude) counterfeit, but this is quite cool, if it's not been posted already;

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Never fucking ever!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wow... Great spot, G.
    That looks pretty cool.
  • That looks terrifying. 

Pass.
  • I honestly don't see the fuss over that Forest trailer. Looks pretty standard fare, really.
  • Oculus can't make an average-looking game play any better. I don't see anything in The Forest that suggests it's an interesting or new experience, I'm afraid. That's just my take on it, of course.
  • More to do with the immersive nature of the tech and some graphics that don't look two generations old.

I have to agree with that ID nerd, that you don't necessarily have to do anything particularly ground breaking for OR to make the experience genuinely novel and exciting.

I would give a complimentary reach-around to the chap who comes up with a decent approximation of the Navidson Record on Rift.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah... Euro Truck Driver sold me... I'm just waiting for a Rift compatible Forza/Gran Turismo myself...
  • I really liked the look of that Forest game until night fell. Then it went shit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm putting this here. More augmented, at first.

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cool... Now I can finally play pool with balls made out of solid plutonium...

That's a seriously cool bit of kit. A HD one would be mental...
  • BioShock 1 on rift would interesting.
  • I just got Unity Free playing nicely with the OR, man of the hour, thats me
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You gonna publish details??
  • Yeah, i havent had that much interest yet, mind, but thats possibly cause most OR owners are still enjoying their extended pro trial. Otherwise everythings up for free with source for everythng (it involves a wrapper for some functions of the OR, a websocket server and a .NET websocket library i could compile into a managed dll that would work with unity free, so it's not simply a unitypackage), just need to get a package sorted out, and also they need to buy an asset off the store that's 20 dollars and well worth it for free users. And trust my funky lil websocket server that you have to run beforehand and desperately needs tidying up. Actually before I make it available i'd very much appreciate you having a look sir.

But yeah i'll probs make a lil webpage for it and put it all up there since i just figured out to fix my hosting and get a new domain as the old one expired
  • This is probably a repost:

• Give me this for many games. Imagine Dead Space in that fucker!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Brooks wrote:
    This is probably a repost:

id be knackered within 5 mins using that thing and i did reinstall gta 4 recently with a mind to OR but it looked so unbearably shit compared to, say, gta 5, that i just couldnt be arsed

i hope similar mods to 4 are made for 5, cause i think gta 5 with a first person mod/extra traffic/pedestrians and so on working with an OR would be pretty spectacular
  • See, the fundamental flaw with all this head tracking malarky ^ is that it's a disorientating mess because the rift is currently incapable of replicating the two different planes of movement between the human head and eye, and the fixed single plane of movement of the in game camera. 
    For this sort of tech to ever become popular in a mainstream way someone has to come up with some clever tech to make the lens of the game camera move independently of the actual game camera and centre on what the eyes of the OR wearer is actually looking at.
    Basically it requires sensors built in to the headgear that track the movements of your eyes as well as tracking the movement of your head.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    See, the fundamental flaw with all this head tracking malarky ^ is that it's a disorientating mess because the rift is currently incapable of replicating the two different planes of movement between the human head and eye, and the fixed single plane of movement of the in game camera.  For this sort of tech to ever become popular in a mainstream way someone has to come up with some clever tech to make the lens of the game camera move independently of the actual game camera and centre on what the eyes of the OR wearer is actually looking at. Basically it requires sensors built in to the headgear that track the movements of your eyes as well as tracking the movement of your head.

have you used an OR mr g? OR software does model that movement. In a setup in say, a 3d engine, you render the scene through two cameras, one for each eye, most good controllers are infinitely adjustable and calibrate mainly for your ipd (distance between pupils). The cameras move like 'children' to the head but independantly of each other. All the clever stuffs all in there. Its not disorientating in the manner you suggest, its disorientating when low framerate (in cpu ticks), screen refresh rate (lcd refresh) or in game head movement does not correspond to your own body's senses, particularly the last thing contributes to the well known nausea that beginning OR usrs can feel for a week or two after some time using the device

in applications well suited to the device, as in they run at a high frame rate and never take control of your virtual head away from you, its a very immersive initially startling experience and has to be experienced to really be understood, even though technically we do the same thing all the freaking time in normal eyesight

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!