General VR and AR chinwag
  • Perhaps goes to show how effective this thing will be. You have to wonder slightly, Daily Mail aside, if this thing will have harmful effects on the mentals. I bet the military is raising a brow as we speak
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    sounds intriguing, although maybe they need to add a 'peril sensitive sunglasses' mode whereby the visuals and audio fade to black/static (or maybe switch to a nice relaxing scene) if the player reacts too violently?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Been reading some interesting articles about playing scary games with this OR. Apparently it's so scary that it's not really fun anymore: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/a-machine-for-fear-ben-spends-hours-playing-oculus-rift-horror-games-and-ha
    There is no nice way to put this. I screamed and nearly fell out of my chair. You see, there is a creature who is actively stalking you through the ship, and I thought the static noise was just some effect. When the thing finally jumped out at me I didn’t have a single guard up.  I wasn’t clenched. Every single one of my fight or flight instincts kicked in and it took some time to calm myself down.
    Sounds like he literally shat himself and:
    The dungeon is tight, and I’m claustrophobic, so I began to feel uncomfortable immediately.
    so yeah, not surprised he didn't enjoy it really.
  • Funnily enough it just makes it sound even more awesome to me, I can't wait to try it with something like Machine for Pigs
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Been reading some interesting articles about playing scary games with this OR. Apparently it's so scary that it's not really fun anymore: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/a-machine-for-fear-ben-spends-hours-playing-oculus-rift-horror-games-and-ha

That sounds very cool.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Outlast is amazing with this thing, just been trying the last few days to tune it properly to my liking, half life 2 has been the most impressive thing so far however, its native support means the implementation has been designed for the game and with binaural stereo on, its very easy to panic when things get intense and its very easy to to get freaked out and forget its a videogame sometimes.. you forget the things cant actually get you

The sad thing is you cant currently get Machine For Pigs working properly on an OR because theres no opengl hack for the OR, but i hope it does at some point, because im no playing that game with no OR

Experiments begin anew today, going to start with kane and lynch and modern warfare 3, two very different fps games, then i'll hunt around for slightly more abstract efforts and see how they go down, Antichambers definitely a good idea
  • Also scout, hl2 is very easy to get working with a google search, but in steam add -vr to the launch options in game properties and sign up to the steampipe beta in properties too
  • Also i'll take suggestions for any racing games and of you'd like a comment on, ill try the latest f1 game first however
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Geoff Crammonds GP4?
  • Did anyone see the now-removed-from-youtube advert for this thing?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Geoff Crammonds GP4?

I'm wearing my Geoff Crammonds GP3 T-shirt.
  • well ive got the latest grid coming, ill try get gp4 but itll take a while, i had the bright idea of seeing what simulations might be like with this so il2 modded up and war thunder (that has native OR support) will have a go too
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nelson wasn't a gangster. He was a terrorist. Jeez mod.
  • MW3 was puke inducing and entirely unconvincing with the hacky approach to OR, so a nooope to that
  • It's occurred to me, and this may sound silly, but the profound implications this can have on how people see the world, based on the fact that wearing this and playing a game as immersive as hl2 is with it on with headphones is how i'd describe what psychosis is like for me, like reality normally could be something you 'take off', revealing another reality underneath, or one you 'put on', and you could be entirely oblivious as to wether your reality is contained within your headset. I think anyone who has experimented with particular drugs can relate to a feeling like that but to have a reality you wear thats programmable, a weird concept!

I imagine the philosophical implications of it all are far reaching, as it's something anyone could try with (probably) no risk to their health, something they can stop any time they like and can have deep effect on their perception - esp with stuff like binaural stereo (ATM i'm using an audio driver that mixes 5.1 surround into something similar) and galvanic vestibular stimulation.

The future is happening, one second at a time
  • I've always maintained this universe is a simulation of times past. I wonder what year it is in the original universe?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    lazyGunn wrote:
    to have a reality you wear thats programmable, a weird concept!

The wearable bit aside...

Also Jeremy Beadle (R.I.P) ftw.
  • Haha i liked that dynamite

Gazelle - i genuinely do wonder, it's like that episode in Red Dwarf with the suicide squid, are we playing the game correctly?

And an interesting note regarding the OR's main detractor - the motion sickness. I just made my fiancee play hl2 for a bit from the beginning, not only was she completely amazed by it, like she'd never experienced anything like that in her life, and was incredibly excited about what the future holds for 'interactive experiences' using the oculus (i refuse to consider it a gaming peripheral, its no more a gaming peripheral than a monitor is), but she experienced absolutely no motion sickness even through sections where i was feeling like i was getting a bit pukey. The conclusion is the degree to how sick it makes you is very individual, and it seems i was very prone to it but after a few days use it's becoming less and less problematic, so, like riding a bike, you might fall off a few times but it's worth sticking with because it's really not long until you've trained your mind into it.

As i've used it more, i've become more aware of what you need to do to make it more pleasant - particularly with the hacky ways to retrofit old games to suit it, like tridef and vireio, is to move your head as you move the mouse in a mouselook situ so the in-game vision movements correspond to your head movements, and in the setup of these is the observation that the main variable in the experience is your IPD (inter pupilary distance), and i suppose FOV(field of view) being it's lesser brother (With a FOV of 105 being ideal). It's the distance between your eyes which governs depth perception, and something that's quite profound and why you can tell something that is closer looks larger, and the entire strength of the oculus. None of the hacky efforts seem to calculate convergence directly based on this which may be where they fail to produce an implementation as convincing as half life 2's efforts by valve - you have to use team fortress 2's calibration app to calculate this (in inches) and put it into half life 2 to get it but it makes the experience fit your eyes perfectly.

Interestingly assuming you wear glasses/contact lenses and are hence aquainted with your optician, they should be able to give you this measurement quite easily, and worth bearing in mind next time you visit them. If you dont wear glasses, you might want to call an optician anyways and see if they'll charge for getting this measurement, because as an adult it will never change and be the leading basis by which you adjust this sort of equipment to your eyes. The oculus rift makers have already stated that they don't wish children to use this equipment as they are growing and their ipd will constantly change but as their eyes are developing, they shouldnt be strained by incorrectly calibrated optical equipment.

Although i wonder if the calculation of this will be automated in the consumer version of the oculus
  • We don't have any choice but to pay the game correctly; we're the NPCs.
  • Of course, the game's only being played by whoever you define as 'me'
  • This sounds absolutely mental, can't wait to give it a try.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Of course, the game's only being played by whoever you define as 'me'

Not at all, consciousness is just a side effect of simulating the systems.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Of course, the game's only being played by whoever you define as 'me'
    Not at all, consciousness is just a side effect of simulating the systems.

The system's only currently relevant to the 'me' until that state of consciousness is terminated. Your 'we are all the npcs' comment is relevant cause to everyone reading that except yourself, its true.

Also i think this thing has permanently borked not so much my vision but my perception of vision - after fucking with the tridef settings for outlast everythings playable but seems strangely enormous when close up, but it seems completely okay to play, but now i look at things normally i cant tell how enormous they are in terms of the relative scale of the universe.

It's all a bit much. I don't think many people will be as excited as i am by this stuff, but then they probably dont intend to make things for it, as for people not liking it, or saying its overhyped, i can just saying they're talking hoo haa and hype is completely irrelevant, would you get hyped over a monitor after LCD alarm clock style displays, yeah you'd think it was amazing but it's not a pop culture event its a fundamental step forwards in displaying information, 'hype' towards it is just stupid, its just nice it's being finally recognised on a mainstream scale. It's pretty much factual that anyone who says anything about it, when they havent used it, can be ignored (the only mainstream analogue is a 3D tv but a 3D tv is still just a window however deep it is), and those who have used it but think its shit cause of motion sickness, do not own it because motion sickness rapidly improves from repeated use (with decent breaks if motion sickness manifests). This is a win.
  • I haven't been this excited since the wait for Ocarina. 

How's the LCD motion blur? I can imagine that breaks the immersiveness when you're moving? It's pretty much inherent in all LCD technology so unless they switch to something else I can see it being a problem. OLED perhaps.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Actually... Thinking about HL2 on the Rift (or any FPS), do the traditional controls now feel conspicuous? I suppose it wouldn't in a racing game, or something where you maintain a fixed playing position, but surely, if this thing's really doing such a great job of rendering a synthetic environment for the user, then your natural inclination would be to poke, kick, and run at things...

Is that a big part of the experience?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also this...

Is an incredible concept (posted already? It's on the Occulus Rift site, anyway).
    Especially when compared to this...

I always thought that film was ahead of it's time...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I still can't wait to have a go on a proper racer or flight sim with one of these, with a wheel or joy stick, with full head tracking. I think that they would be the most immersive experience.
  • Actually... Thinking about HL2 on the Rift (or any FPS), do the traditional controls now feel conspicuous? I suppose it wouldn't in a racing game, or something where you maintain a fixed playing position, but surely, if this thing's really doing such a great job of rendering a synthetic environment for the user, then your natural inclination would be to poke, kick, and run at things... Is that a big part of the experience?

Half-life 2's implementation offers 5 different control schemes that suit the OR loads better than traditional fps controls (unless your very careful how you move your head with mouselook a fps becomes a pukefest unless its adapted), i cant remember which one i settled with but it was the one that worked best with a gamepad, i def found a gamepad much better for playing than a mouse and keyboard in terms of removing annoying distractions. And initially yes! Wanting to poke things is initially something that occurs to you, a mate who tried mine out today couldnt get his head around, after getting off the train in hl2, just being in a train station and waving his hands around in front of him and not seeing them. And he's not even a simpleton.

Regarding LCD blur, there is blur there and its very noticable but there's a list of shortcomings with the current panel that they'll no doubt be addressing in the consumer release (they're very aware of current shortcomings of the device and arent stupid and seem very dedicated to the spirit of it rather than crazy profiteering), i have no idea about that stuff though so i wouldnt know what the final panel would be. I'm hoping something crazy like some 4k thing, not that many computers would like that at all
  • I love the girl's reaction to the rollercoaster at 3.30.

There's an excited "OMG, OMG!" but then, just as she's going over the very edge for the long drop down, there's a quieter and genuinely astonished "omg".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!