Cyberpunk 2077 - new CDProjekt Red
  • g.man wrote:

Is that the Xbox version?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Is there a clear point of no return in the game? I too, like MattyJ, am just enjoying clearing out side mission, gang and police icons. I’m right at the beginning of act two with either going to meet ‘T’ or go to the ‘A’ Club. Can I go a bit further with act two but still keep doing the side missions?
  • Yes. It tells you so don’t worry you can finish everything before you enter the final mission. When you finish the game it plops you right back to that point.
  • Presumably allowing a handy restart point from which the DLC can be staged from.

Anyone looking forward to the DLC?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’ve just hit the point of no return, and I still have a huge amount of side stuff to do.
    I’m still waiting for several people to ring me back with further missions.
    I hope they aren’t bugged.
    And I think there’s some large side missions i haven’t even triggered the meetings with yet.

Made me feel a little glum when I hit the point of no return today. I kind skulked off and half heartedly did some other stuff.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Holy shit...I don’t know what to do here. Do I side with the
    Spoiler:
    ...don’t wanna be in great terms with a Corpo but fuck me nobody sets me up.
  • Kill everyone.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Decision made. King Willy and his Posse can burn.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Kill everyone.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Holy shit...I don’t know what to do here. Do I side with the
    Spoiler:

It doesn't matter because
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah it was a weird situation.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sums the game up for me. Broken promises, wasted potential and a big anticlimax
  • This is why it’s best to go in dark.
  • Sums the game up for me. Broken promises, wasted potential and a big anticlimax
    ...and yet, despite the j ank, I'm still finding it to be one of my favourite games of all time.
  • This is why it’s best to go in dark.

I knew absolutely nothing going in, read (next to) nothing whilst playing.

Worked out a dream.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ignoring the jank (I'm a seasoned veteran of turning a blind eye to stuff like you hovering alongside our chopper instead of riding inside it in Ghost Recon etc. so that's not too much of an issue for me), it's still not what they were suggesting it was going to be and I can't see past that
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah it was a weird situation.
    Spoiler:

It's the diamond narrative structure. I bet it was absolutely designed that way to keep things reined in. Game presents same illusion of carving one's own narrative that The Walking Dead did a decade ago.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Walking Dead also pissed me right off. That demo seemingly having a completely different branching path, with a character either joining your party or dying depending on your choices was a total con job
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    One of the best games I've ever played, this. Have it up ye.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Spoiler:

It's the diamond narrative structure. I bet it was absolutely designed that way to keep things reined in. Game presents same illusion of carving one's own narrative that The Walking Dead did a decade ago.

It was more that the two factions don’t show up again. The set up for the
    Spoiler:
    is pretty heavy - it’s own braindance investigation, a whole area and so on. I suspect there was more in advance.

Personally I’m not really bothered about this illusion of choice. I see it as a problem if you scratch at it but if you play it as a one and done and do it instinctively then the illusion holds. It only really has to sustain itself that much for me because, much like in real life, you shouldn’t be able to see what the alternative choice looks like.
  • I'm team Sparky, game massively underdelivered on what was promised. Great that it's being enjoyed by some but it's a let down for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Spoiler:

It was more that the two factions don’t show up again. The set up for the
    Spoiler:
    is pretty heavy - it’s own braindance investigation, a whole area and so on. I suspect there was more in advance.

Personally I’m not really bothered about this illusion of choice. I see it as a problem if you scratch at it but if you play it as a one and done and do it instinctively then the illusion holds. It only really has to sustain itself that much for me because, much like in real life, you shouldn’t be able to see what the alternative choice looks like.

But it's not like real life - it's a game that people play to completion or to see everything. Let's not bring in a false equivalence like that when save states exist.

Games like this are ones that people put several playthroughs into because they want to see how things play out differently- in fact we have had people on here designing to do that. The three pathways at the start lure you into that. My big frustration is that none of that matters. Not. One. Bit.
    It's not an RPG, it's a narrative adventure game. And none of us consume games in a bubble, and none of the above was in the promise of the game in the run up to release.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I see posts like that then I see elsewhere others who've played it through 2/3 times already and they're saying that choices made do count and wrap it up very neatly. Horse for courses and that, guess I'll see at the end of playthrough.
  • g.man wrote:
    Sums the game up for me. Broken promises, wasted potential and a big anticlimax
    ...and yet, despite the j ank, I'm still finding it to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Me too...
    regmcfly wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Holy shit...I don’t know what to do here. Do I side with the
    Spoiler:

It doesn't matter because
    Spoiler:

Well, it’s already mattered a little as it’s changed the outcome, but isn’t it also about how you feel about the decision? Made me think about it and my character on the grander scale so it mattered to me.
  • Ignoring the jank (I'm a seasoned veteran of turning a blind eye to stuff like you hovering alongside our chopper instead of riding inside it in Ghost Recon etc. so that's not too much of an issue for me), it's still not what they were suggesting it was going to be and I can't see past that
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting for a minute that you're wrong, but it maybe helps me that I'm not an RPG guy, have never played a CDPR game, and didn't really know much about the game other than the setting and a few brief gameplay videos. Only expectations for me were that I really liked the look of the world they were creating.
    That being said, I did find the first 10 or so hours a painful experience, and that wasn't because of the jank, that was more because the game does such a piss poor job of explaining itself to the new player. You are literally reduced to finding videos on YouTube that explain how all the various systems work, how the missions integrate into the world, and basically what the actual fuck you are meant to be doing other than the main mission. For me, (and I'm fortunate cos I've got the SeX version, which looks pretty good) that's where it really falls down as a package. You absolutely just have to push through this nonsense in the hope it's all going to come together at some point. Fortunately for me it has. I'm probably close to 60hrs in now, and I'm absolutely enamoured with the game. The gameplay is far from revolutionary, I've gamed the system to get several million credits in the bank, and I've also got a bunch of gear that sees me through most encounters, but again, that's another failing of the game. The piss-poor pacing of the stat-unlocking and your lack of earning power. 
    It just hampers your enjoyment, cos you just ain't got the creds to by the stuff you want/need. 
    Filling my wallet by nefarious means, has given me the opportunity to kick back and enjoy everything at my own pace, and it also means I can ignore much of the guff that exists in the game only to grind out your stats.
    It's almost like CDPR didn't have the confidence in their main story being on the short side, so they artificially padded it out by slowing your earning progress. If this is the case, then they were wrong. They should absolutely just have given you the tools you need at a fair lick, and let you get on with it, because it's an intoxicating world when you can view it at your own pace.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, where it shines is with the sense of place, the people you meet along the way, and the stories you share with them. That's what makes it special for me.
    Definitely not for everyone tho.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Absolutely valid response, Cocha, but since I essentially
    Spoiler:
    I would have expected the game world to react to that somehow. GTA2 managed it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    @G - as I said in my write up, the one thing I would go back for is a drive through the city. The way it comes and goes into the desert is genuinely incredible.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    @G - as I said in my write up, the one thing I would go back for is a drive through the city. The way it comes and goes into the desert is genuinely incredible.
    Yup. It's an incredible design achievement.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I think Reg is right in his critique - it is more a narrative adventure game for sure. Great that people are enjoying it, but it's no Dues Ex (vanilla) that's for fucking sure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!