Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oooh
  • There's a multiplayer beta to download as well as a seperate download.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it a 30 minute timed thing like the last one?
  • No sure buddy, downloaded but it will have to wait for later today. Got a shedload of work to do.
  • Still 17:00 or so for us PC'ers, grr.
  • Kow wrote:
    Is it a 30 minute timed thing like the last one?

Apparently not, the last one was utterly stupid, so they've learned.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't remember Resident 3 being particularly great so I hope they've made plenty of changes.
  • I liked 3. Not as good as 1 or 2 as formula was getting old. But you get chased alot more in this one by the nemesis.
  • I'm going to download on my ps4. No idea how long it's going to take considering half the world are at home playing fortnite.
  • Had a quick 30mins on the demo. Got mike tyson'd a few times. So will come back to it later tonight. They really need a stomp ala dead space. Also ideally better dodge mechanics. But maybe thats just me.
  • It's not just you, I felt it was missing from the modernisation of Resi 2. But that's what it is I guess, purists would presumably hate controls to make a complete jump along with the visuals.
  • Restricted movement is par for the course, it's Resi. Dodging out of the way would sort of trivialise the whole affair.
  • With the longstanding template, yes. If they'd overhauled a bit more, perhaps not.
  • That essentially sounds like you're asking for a different game than Resident Evil 2 and 3, although I seem to recall 3 had dodging in originally? Anyway, dodging in Resi exists and is well executed in the much maligned 6. It's a game that works with it though because it's more open and more aggressive, making 2 more open and aggressive would have made it not 2.
  • If I was into the Resi games in a big way I'd probably want Capcom to reboot them pretty much as they have. The updated/outdated thing is a treat for fans, but the 'that's what makes it survival horror!' controls don't suit modern times without nostalgia imo.
  • I think they work just fine and are really well considered and fine tuned. A far cry from Tank controls. Can't really claim Nostalgia impacts my thinking much as I never played any Resi games until 4.
  • They're not tank controls in the way you'd describe Chris' movement from the fist game...but 'more manoeuvrable tank' fits what I played of the no.2 remake (credits with Leon). That's how these games are set out, but if someone were to break the cycle it could be interesting.
  • 6 did it, like I just said!

Anyway, I guess I just disagree here, I think you need to limit something in Survival Horror and movement is the most obvious one because it is a constant you can keep through the entire game.
  • Aparently it has a dodge button on 3, something I thought was missing from 2.
    Love all the extra story missions in extra of 2,
    When did they get added?
  • Tempy wrote:
    6 did it, like I just said!

Anyway, I guess I just disagree here, I think you need to limit something in Survival Horror and movement is the most obvious one because it is a constant you can keep through the entire game.

6 did but it was rounded on for being a bit bobbins by a chunk of the fanbase iirc. Plus it didn't really, it just added a spot of dodging to an existing template I thought (haven't played it myself so perhaps that one was an overhaul rather than a rejig)?

I'm just musing and you could very well be right with the restrictions thing, but I think there's scope for a survival horror that removes them.

Edit: The Resi reboots could well be the wrong games to try something like with that though. As I say I'm coming at this from the perspective of a half fan of the series so it wouldn't bother me if they bodged it.
  • Have you guys tried the demo?
    Spoiler:

Dead Space 1 did move the formula forwards, apart from the head stomp the menu was great as you were using it in real time. It really added a sense of panic.

Anyway this is a homage to one of my favourite video game series from back in the day so i can give it some leeway.

• Took ages to download.

Played the opening movie - already want Jill to die. Patronising within the first minute of dialogue. I can't stand American voice acting, and then voice acting with attitude.

Edit: and chromatic aberration ftw. Shall be turning that off later in the PC version.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    6 did it, like I just said! Anyway, I guess I just disagree here, I think you need to limit something in Survival Horror and movement is the most obvious one because it is a constant you can keep through the entire game.
    6 did but it was rounded on for being a bit bobbins by a chunk of the fanbase iirc. Plus it didn't really, it just added a spot of dodging to an existing template I thought (haven't played it myself so perhaps that one was an overhaul rather than a rejig)? I'm just musing and you could very well be right with the restrictions thing, but I think there's scope for a survival horror that removes them. Edit: The Resi reboots could well be the wrong games to try something like with that though. As I say I'm coming at this from the perspective of a half fan of the series so it wouldn't bother me if they bodged it.

6 had an amazing movement engine, and it's far better than 5. Definitely feel like it got panned by the community at large because people wanted it to return to basics but Capcom were combating CoD and felt like they needed to do something very similar in terms of scope and scale. It's an utterly lavish game in terms of UI, graphics, options, scale, scope, movement, it's just an exhausting amount of content and polish, and IMO it's a good game. Movement is nonsense, you can run, slide and reload/shoot, backflip and shoot, sidestep and shoot, quick attack, quick reload, crawl on your back, dodge into a fall back and shoot - way more scope than most games.
  • Ah right, that doesn't sound like what I thought it was at all. Maybe I'd like that one.
  • RE6 was pure re anime action, very much inline with the jp prerendered cgi movies capcom released up to re6. I kinda like 6 but the public felt re5-6 strayed too far from the og re1-3 formula of survival horror. It's almost as if the protagonists feel superhero powerful which dampens the survival horror aspect. The melee ott combat feels absolutely overpowered yet strangely satisfying.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Finished the demo, its alright
  • Gawd, people slagging off six is a batsignal at this point for Tempy.
  • Zombies keep gnawing me to death in the re3 demo.
    I must be doing something wrong.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • R1 on ps4 is dodge button.
    Right bumper on other console etc I presume.

It's very very pretty but it's just a bit, well, boring.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!