Currently Playing
  • Tempy wrote:
    Been playing a lot of Nioh this week because i’ve been off ill and i’ve been meaning to get back to it for ages. Had to start again as my cloud save didn’t work for whatever reason, but that’s probably for the best. It’s an utterly bizarre game though. I’ve been playing it with the help of a few guides to understand the stat and gear stuff, as it’s very in-depth in a Diablo 3 style, with loot having lots of randomised incremental effects and special abilities as well as set bonuses and so on that basically make it a... Soulslike loot ARPG? It’s a mad blend of genres because the first half means that’s it’s overly punishing (more like sadistic and mean) and if you don’t understand the second half it can be even harder. Anyway, so much old news as this is what I discovered back from my 20+ hours with the demo back in the day, when it was even harder than it is now. It’s clearly designed to be pummelled in co-op, but I hate using that as a crutch and so I have been battling through it solo. It can be insanely frustrating at times, especially with some of the bosses having pointless combos where if you aren’t specced perfectly gear-wise you’ll get stun locked to death, or the window for escape will land you back in trouble making the gap in punishment utterly pointless. Also the window for timely blocks and parries is... insane? I don’t know how anyone can react as fast as you need to, adding another layer of frustration on top of a brilliantly outstanding but very exacting and punishing combat system that expects you to dance your fingers across the pad like a caffeinated spider. Still, I have refrained from summoning and I am now on the last mission main mission before the NG+ content? though I have one or two side missions left to do. Deposit all of that, it’s a weirdly enjoyable experience but it throws the whole difficulty debate around the Soule games and especially Sekiro into sharp relief, in a weird way. From what I’ve read and seen, co-op trivialises most bosses and tough fights utterly (and i’ll be dipping in to this for NG+) but it also means the game’s difficulty is frequently petulant and arbitrary, and has no way of leading the player through a meaningful learning experience. Where Sekrio has razor’s edge focus, to the point that its combat can be vested with no HUD and no challenge is off limits because you haven’t got the right gear or a good enough limits, Nioh is all over the place with most enemies killing you in two hits and bosses laughing at the idea of giving you even a second to heal. Challenge is a weird thing in games though, because Nioh also has tons of tools in the form of ninjitsu and magic that let you turn the tables, in a more free form and versatile way than Sekiro’s tools and items, although I think they’re great too. Ultimately i’d rather a game that gives you the tools to follow a curated path through a game like Sekrio rather than crafting your difficulty around the exceptions of co-op and random loot drops and stat levels. But Nioh has still been really good fun, and has an incredible amount of missions to plough through. If only it wasn’t so utterly capricious so often.
    I thought Nioh was much easier than Sekiro overall and I didn't use co-op. The early bosses are toughest, before you can learn loads of extra stuff, but after that I thought it was a pretty even challenge, barring some crazy optional battles towards the end.

I didn't really get into the loot side of things very much. Just took the best base stats I could find IIRC. I do wonder if the Kusari-Gama is overpowered though - it's chain reeling attack is far too useful. Also some of the magic is too good. The slow talismans are basically easy mode on bosses when you have enough.

But most of all there's just nothing that takes as much learning as a Sekiro boss. The attack patterns are nowhere near as complex.
  • hunk wrote:
    Silke wrote:
    Dark Souls III (PC) Running around Lothric with six million unspent souls, roughly the population of Denmark, come take me on.
    Haha, I admit I lolled! ;) Struggling against Yhorm the Giant who's making minced meat out of me. I swear I got to that mountain peak in a previous run doing some sitting gesture but for the life I can't remember which one.

I think you learn the gesture first. Found somewhere near the Seath-like boss? Can’t remember.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I don’t mind learning patterns for bosses, cos they’re usually enjoyable to execute, whereas every human boss in Nioh has a lot of bullshit up their sleeves. IMO and all that. I mean i’ve beaten everything so far, but I
    prefer the way Sekiro does it.
  • Still working my way through Disco Elysium. Some great writing in there, quite enjoying role playing my absolute mess of a cop. I’ve started playing my own character arc, my cop is slowly earning his redemption and solving this case will give him his self respect back which will be the boost he needs to stay off the drink and drugs.

He’s still quick to anger and lead by his nose which often pisses off everyone but at least he’s no longer pissed
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Escape from Tarkov. It's pretty unforgiving but I'm enjoying it a lot.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Still working my way through Disco Elysium. Some great writing in there, quite enjoying role playing my absolute mess of a cop. I’ve started playing my own character arc, my cop is slowly earning his redemption and solving this case will give him his self respect back which will be the boost he needs to stay off the drink and drugs.

He’s still quick to anger and lead by his nose which often pisses off everyone but at least he’s no longer pissed

I played close to this though he did fall off the waggon a couple of times. There’s some dark places he had to go to.
  • Dark Souls 3 is an oddly underappreciated game
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    Silke wrote:
    Dark Souls III (PC) Running around Lothric with six million unspent souls, roughly the population of Denmark, come take me on.
    Haha, I admit I lolled! ;) Struggling against Yhorm the Giant who's making minced meat out of me. I swear I got to that mountain peak in a previous run doing some sitting gesture but for the life I can't remember which one.
    I think you learn the gesture first. Found somewhere near the Seath-like boss? Can’t remember.

I looked it up and you learn the gesture in the area after you defeat Yhorm.
    Tough big bastard.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Still dabbling with THOTH.  Completing the main stages unlocks a randomly generated mode.  Each stage is so meticulously calculated that the fact that the procgen side of it works so well is pretty impressive.  Apparently it was designed by the 'lead gameplay designer' of Limbo and Inside.  I'd urge any fans of twin stick shooters to check it out, it deserves more love.  Unless I missed the love when it released on PC in 2016.
  • Unravel. It is lovely.
  • Agreed. The sequel is quality in co-op too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Doing the absolute dirty to act 2 of Dragon Quest XI and Hallelujah/Electro Lighting my way to level 99. On level 86 with hero. I regret nothing.
  • Playing that Telltale Batman.
    Wow, what a technical heap of shit this is.

Gordon's cigar smoke is missing the alpha channel so is just a series of white rectangles.

Characters are blurred in an attempt at faux depth of field but dont update quickly enough for close ups, th effect doesnt work anyway so should have been dropped.

The time given to choose dialogue is totally random in length, often with no time to read the options.

Characters clip through stuff constantly.

I have played through a few Telltale games but none have been as bad as this. Doesnt help that Episode 3 is incredibly boring so far.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Doing the absolute dirty to act 2 of Dragon Quest XI and Hallelujah/Electro Lighting my way to level 99. On level 86 with hero. I regret nothing.

That's me hit 99 all round. Should probably get back to the game.
  • Gotten to the bit of The Switcher 3 where it suggests you're hitting the end game and certain side quests will be gone and you should save now as I sail to the
    Spoiler:

but fuck me there's still loads to do. I played it four years ago and I'm pretty sure got to the last battle but so much of this I don't remember.. it's really really good still. Loving the bond I have with my crew. Apart from Dandelion he's obviously a bit of a tit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I started playing Bloodborne again last night on a whim. I think it's been long enough that I've forgotten the layouts and various details.

I'd also forgotten just how intense it is, like almost all the time. I've no idea if I'll go through it all this time, but having done Cleric Beast I've definitely got a taste for it again. There's nothing quite like it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    God help me

I was in game in ocean terminal whiling down time before lunch at The Kitchin at 12 (pics incoming in food thread) and I kept circling Deadly Premonition with badges for £39.99 on switch. Then I checked eBay and Amazon and they were wanting £10 more and I guess I own Deadly Premonition now.
  • Holy shit I just beat Father Gazza first time.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    God help me I was in game in ocean terminal whiling down time before lunch at The Kitchin at 12 (pics incoming in food thread) and I kept circling Deadly Premonition with badges for £39.99 on switch. Then I checked eBay and Amazon and they were wanting £10 more and I guess I own Deadly Premonition now.

Have you played it before Reginald?
    The Forum Herald™
  • JonB wrote:
    Holy shit I just beat Father Gazza first time.
    And only now just remembered that weapons have two forms in this. Duh.
  • Brilliant fight. I think I beat him first time too on NG+ and NG++, but you’ve had a big break so good going!

Let’s see how you do with Amelia cos I struggled on her.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, I always found that difficult.

I'm surprised I've done the first two bosses first try though, because I've forgotten a lot about their moves. Just playing in a more aggressive style I think.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Holy shit I just beat Father Gazza first time.
    And only now just remembered that weapons have two forms in this. Duh.

you clown
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    God help me I was in game in ocean terminal whiling down time before lunch at The Kitchin at 12 (pics incoming in food thread) and I kept circling Deadly Premonition with badges for £39.99 on switch. Then I checked eBay and Amazon and they were wanting £10 more and I guess I own Deadly Premonition now.

Have you played it before Reginald?

Twice so far.
  • Started The Evil Within again, for an article I am preparing to write. Only at the very start, going to dig in a bit. Love the atmosphere, and some of the creature design is top tier stuff. Way scarier than RE4.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Yeah it's still a whole mess of fun. Love the gore. The enemies really stick with you.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Q.U.B.E. 2. Chapter 8 now, so getting there (and nice to have a change of aesthetic). But in so not wholly sure I'm enjoying it vs looking guests to being done with it. Mm
  • Had a go at a couple of demos on Switch last night.

Blasphemous.  It's tempting at 40% off.  I'm keen on the visuals, punishing parry-based combat and non rogue-ness, but it might be a bit intense for what I'm after right now.  It's on the watch list though, I've been paying attention to feedback on here.

Pixeljunk Monsters 2.  Hell nope, turns I still hate tower defence stuff.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Brilliant fight. I think I beat him first time too on NG+ and NG++, but you’ve had a big break so good going! Let’s see how you do with Amelia cos I struggled on her.
    2nd try as it turned out. Took 3 goes for Blood Starved Beast.

Still going on with it then. Still not sure when I'll stop. The level design in the early stages is so good, but I remember it takes a dip towards the end.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I bought Dark Souls Trilogy for my bone. Might be going back in!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!