Currently Playing
  • Exactly. It’s even more ridiculous that they release something for console that simply cannot run, in that space there’s no argument to be had about spec, it simply can’t run on the stock maximum spec Xbox One X option. It’s absolutely abysmal.

Turned most options off and it runs ok and it’s helped that it is even now a terrific game, but selling this mess is disgusting.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah man, I was really looking forward to playing through it again... Been hankering for an old school shooter that isn't in the vein of a Ubisoft game. I can only imagine what it runs like on consoles. And how they managed to get it onto the Switch I'll never know. Must run at appalling fps and resolution.

I mean it actually looks like a great remaster. I'm just not in the mood to sit there playing something that's woefully optimised.

Kinda like building a fucking car that can break the sound barrier, only caveat is you'll disintegrate in the process of driving it. Extremely odd development decision.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Says it all really. No CPU around can run it above 60 at 1440p or 4k.
  • I bought Art of Rally. Same guys who did Absolute Drift. Will report back. 

Could be a fun one for rally/car lovers.

Iso view and stylised gfx. It looks lovely.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cool. Thread created immediately.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • UNDERSTAND...UNDERSTAND...THE CONCEPT OF LOVE...TpU1MZ5.gif

So, inspired by some random Sega chat yesterday, I went for a treasure hunt in the attic and found my copy of Jet Set Radio Future for the OG XBox. Literally blew the dust off my 360, fired the old girl up and stuck the disk in.
    Immediately met with the message that this disk is the wrong region and will not play on this machine message. Noooooooooooo!

However, I do remember playing this on the 360 about a dozen years ago, so I must have two copies.
    Back to the loft.
    After much raking through boxes I finally came up trumps and found the PAL version.
    Hallelujah!
    Stuck it in the 360 and pressed play to be met with that all time classic intro...

Cue massive shit eating grin!

Spent the rest of the day playing this, and yes, it's still incredible, and it still looks like it could have been released today. It's just an ageless beauty of a game.

Caveats.
    It's fucking hard! Doesn't help that I'm 55, have arthritic fingers, and possess the reflexes of a tortoise, but yes, it's hard in that way that games were 18 years ago.
    Takes minutes to learn the basics, but it's going to take days to master. 
    So much of it is button timing on the jumps, and you absolutely have to know where you're trying to land, so really you have to have encyclopaedic knowledge of the levels, or you risk a fail that the save system can screw you on.
    Case in point. There are flag races, and if you don't know where the flags are and have a route prepared in your head to get to them, you will fail.
    As an example, this guy clearly knows where he's going...

The camera can also be a complete arse, but hey, this was eighteen years ago, so that's no great surprise.
    But really, none of this matters, because once you start getting things down, and the music kicks in, it's just still such a thing of wondrous beauty.
    The real fun has always been in unlocking all the levels and free-riding around them while the choons loop in the background.

4EwzFvw.gif

I've obviously got time on my hands these days, so I think I'm going to persevere with a play through of this, or at least as long as my thumbs permit.

So. Eighteen years old, but still the GOAT!

sweet soul, brother

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nice.  I don't have many game soundtracks on CD but I've got those two.
  • Yup, the OSTs still get a regular airing chez G.
  • Hell yeah g-brother

That intro <3
  • Gav confirmed as understanding the concept of love :D
  • God I loved JSRF.

https://youtu.be/HSZIej-ZraE

Still play the soundtrack for gym tunes sometimes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm quite frustrated that JSRF was never remastered as I never had an original Xbox.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm quite frustrated that JSRF was never remastered as I never had an original Xbox.
    Aye, OG XBox disc runs through backwards compatibility on 360, but not on Bone sadly. Some stages suffer from horrific slowdown, but for the most part it pure gold.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Could never get on with original Jet Set Radio it felt too stilted and stop start, but this was something else and yes the soundtrack at the time was amazing. I’d be happy with a remake/remaster.
  • Sony being canny feckers, unsurprisingly tried to kick off a sequel about three years ago. Sadly Sega, being the fools they are now, said no... and not for the first time either apparently.

*facepalm gif*

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dick move Sega
  • Yup. It's heartbreaking.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    They don't make 'em like the used to. Must get my DC out and take her for a spin. Crazy Taxi, JSR, Power Stone, Sega Rally, Super Monkey Ball... Good times.
  • Super Monkey Ball on DC???
  • Nice write up g.man, tempting me into a revisit!

Apparently that game that Mark was on about yesterday is called Bomb Rush Cyberfunk and from the snippet available looks like a spiritual successor. Not sure what SEGA will think though:

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Monkey Ball was supposed to be on DC but didn't make it.

Played a bit of JSR on Dreamcast but I wasn't very good at it and got a bit frustrated. I never got an OldBox but looking back at it now it's the closest thing to a Dreamcast 2 you can get.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Eric wrote:
    Nice write up g.man, tempting me into a revisit! Apparently that game that Mark was on about yesterday is called Bomb Rush Cyberfunk and from the snippet available looks like a spiritual successor. Not sure what SEGA will think though:

LOL
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Super Monkey Ball on DC???

Yeah sorry, I stand corrected. That was on the 'Cube.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I've a load of bat-shit crazy shumps on the DC. Stuff that makes Ikaruga look like Barbies Horse Riding Challenge.
  • Bomb Rush Cyberfunk looks great.
    Shame Sega doesn't want to reboot JSR but after 2 failed attempts I kindoff understand their waryness. Such influential games yet still no mainstream success. They're so close though, with a few gameplay tweaks and a decent marketing push this could become a huge, HUGE ip.

Less floaty jumps, easier grinding, a deeper trick system, more exploration, more rival gangs, more varied missions, more jsr music, well implemented mp. This ip deserves another attempt at a reboot. If sega won't do it I hope BRC succeeds.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bloody adored JSR on the Xbox. Would love a proper new one. BRC does look great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cant fucking believe I missed the JSR shit.

Fuck

The concept of love etc.

Anyway, BRC looks amazing so I am fucking ready for that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bloody adored JSR on the Xbox. Would love a proper new one. BRC does look great.

Aarrgghh apologies I was writing as you were i think! Fully agree!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!