Game of Thrones TV show with massive spoilers everywhere.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Or he planned it all.

He is a shifty fucker. The wry smile when he told Jon he was where he needed to be.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think they had nice happy endings, as it very much isn't the end of anything except the Night King and Dany. The wheel is still turning and while the Starks are at the top for the moment, nothing will stop it.

Page turned mesel.
  • Yeah, I didn't think it had a happy ending.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Been watching stuff on YouTube about the finale, and I have to say much of it is hilarious. It's almost like a lot of these loons have been watching a completely different show to the one I've been watching.
  • I’ve noticed that even with some of the professional critics. I tried reading Wired’s wrap up of the finale, and their commentary team are utter loons.
  • For example: People complaining that Sam’s attempt to introduce democracy was unrealistic.

The Watch had been electing their leaders all along. All Sam was doing was suggesting that maybe the way ‘his people’ did things was worth trying here too.
  • Drogon melting the throne was just wtf. 
    I don't know if anyone else saw the third episode of this season where all the Dothraki died? Anyone see that? No one making this episode seemed to. Until the end where they just disappeared again. 
    Why was Tyrion upset that people moved the chairs to sit on them? What was he expecting? They all stand around and admire how well aligned they are? 
    Bronn had to have the concept of a bank loan explained to him in season three. Now he's in charge of all money. You can go on and on with all this. It was fucktastically dumb. 

I don't know precisely when this show fell off. It started slipping in around season 5 (Jaime and Bronn's Adventures In Dorne) and by the finale of season 6 it had lost its way entirely. But for every piece of mind-boggling stupidity it had something to enjoy. The zombie capture was probably it's dumbest episode but even that had a pretty terrific fight with a zombie bear. 

If it had kept the quality of seasons 1-4 through to the end it would have probably been the best tv program ever. But it's a bit harsh to criticise a show for not being literally the best thing made by anyone ever. It's no one's fault. The writer's thought they'd be adapting books for the duration. Martin came unstuck trying to write 3,000 odd pages of novels to the timeframe of a tv production schedule. Every other aspect of the show remained high-tier. 

The introduction of more and more EPIC battles didn't help the balance either. Season 1 had zero. They were building up to one then Tyrion got knocked unconscious and woke up when the battle was over. Robb Stark, renowned great and glorious war leader was never shown fighting (iirc). But then they had the Kings Landing invasion episode and then each series needed it's special moment. No doubt sucking the budget up and chipping away at the story telling in other parts. Season 7 had, I think, four episodes in a row, where the required scene in the North was all the lords sat around in that room in Winterfell, getting repeatedly owned by Lynna Mormont, with Little finger inexplicably hanging around and waiting to be offed. Everything was water treading until the BIG MOMENT when they'd blow the budget and do something stupid. For my money the highlights of the battle things were the smaller, more unexpected ones - Hardhome and the Dragon attack on the Lannisters. The full episode ones rarely matched the build up they gave them.

Anyway, it's done now. For better or worse, a massively important show in terms of it's impact. I'm glad it existed but I'm equally glad it's finished.
  • Tyrion and the chairs.
    He created order then everyone came in and disrupted it.
    Do you need a few episodes for them to explain it or something?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think it's understood in fantasy in general, and here too I suppose, that dragons are intelligent, not just animals. So I didn't have any problem with it melting the throne.
  • Did you see the size of that dragon? The size of it’s head? And, presumably, the size of it’s brain?

(Although, for balance, BBC News-style, dinosaurs had fucking tiny brains, sometimes attached to their spinal column lower down and not even in their massive heads. So, whatever.)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Tyrion and the chairs. He created order then everyone came in and disrupted it. Do you need a few episodes for them to explain it or something?
    Of all the hills to die on, don't let yours be Tyrion's reaction to people sitting on chairs.
  • I always figured there was some form of mental link between Daeny/Jon and the dragons. When they ride them they clearly arent sterring and shooting fire through physical movements, they are barely hanging on.

Not quite warging but am emotional link, at that point Jon would have had a deep hatred for that throne and what it represents.
  • monkey wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Tyrion and the chairs. He created order then everyone came in and disrupted it. Do you need a few episodes for them to explain it or something?
    Of all the hills to die on, don't let yours be Tyrion's reaction to people sitting on chairs.

You brought it up. I just dont need every single thing explained. It is just a bit of basic symbolism.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Liv, I saw it as the Dragon expressing it's rage at 'All this pain and death for that fucking chair?'
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I took it as the Dragon expressing it's rage at 'All this pain and death for that fucking chair?'

Works just as well if you prefer to think of it as the dragon enacting Jon’s rage at the same.
  • Tyrion was nervous. He wanted to make a good impression. He tidied up the chairs.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I took it as the Dragon expressing it's rage at 'All this pain and death for that fucking chair?'
    Works just as well if you prefer to think of it as the dragon enacting Jon’s rage at the same.

Thought Jon looked more apprehensive than angry...
  • Dragon burned a chair representing the existential disruption of war on ordinary people's comfort. Tyrion tidied the chairs representing his new role as facilitator for the people of Westeros to be comfortable in their lives. Sansa's uncle wanted to be king and was told to return to his chair representing the futility of ordinary people standing up for themselves. The new King is confined to a chair representing the chair inside all of us. 
    #chairs
  • it almost like musical chairs...
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I suspected that there was a place for each person that they ignored. Tyrion's little chair hand a wee little hand on it.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    it almost like musical chairs...

Or thrones...
  • g.man wrote:
    it almost like musical chairs...
    Like a game almost...
  • I thought it was an OCD gag.
  • I'm at least glad I know how it ends. When GRRM fails to deliver the books, it wont sting so bad.

But this show is aids and has been for years. It is marketed at, and made for, the keep it simple crowd. The final season just made that obvious. It was a rushed telling of the end of the story, like a friend who started a story but then realised a hottie has been giving him the come to bed look and is mechanically rushing to the end to get rid of you, because you're cramping his style.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • monkey wrote:
    wkqlv3aibdz21.jpg

Missed this, glorious.
  • I'm at least glad I know how it ends. When GRRM fails to deliver the books, it wont sting so bad.

I read (again, on Wired) this morning that “George RR Martin has reportedly finally finished the last two books in the series”. Sounded pretty suspect to me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Regarding the chairs, it's a callback to this, Tywin making it harder for everyone to talk to each other, a clear ranking etc. I didn't twig that at the time by the way, I stole it off Reddit :

Which also serves as a good reminder of how much better the show was early doors.
  • Martin probably finished writing them years ago and has been waiting for the show to end. Expect the first one in shops for Christmas.

ka-ching!

g.man
  • poprock wrote:
    I'm at least glad I know how it ends. When GRRM fails to deliver the books, it wont sting so bad.

I read (again, on Wired) this morning that “George RR Martin has reportedly finally finished the last two books in the series”. Sounded pretty suspect to me.
    That’s been denied by Martin. The rumour was that they’d ‘done a deal’ to hold them back until the end of the show so the ending wouldn’t be spoiled. Martin said it was (my words) bollocks and would have been too expensive to compensate them for the millions of dollars of lost revenue from releasing them at the height of public interest.

• Season 6, and Arya tells Lady Crane she'd like to go and explore the west...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!