Xbox One
  • Not exactly, otherwise Moto wouldn't have needed to buy two copies of every game.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.
    I may very well cancel my pre-order now. I was all for game-sharing, fuck being stuck with only what I have bought to play. They have just removed the most attractive feature of the XB1 for me.

There's still going to be the re-emergence of Family Live accounts isn't there? Could your digital purchases not be shared with him that way?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So you will now cancel and get a PS4? Or no at all? Because they are both exactly the same now.
    I have a pre-order for both (£20 deposit on each at GAME), the higher price of the XB1 was offset by the sharing ability and its media features, the PS4 was so that I could still game with those that weren't getting a XB1 but because the consoles are now identical regarding gaming I just don't know. I do really like the media features (I watch a fair amount of Netflix and BluRays) but I just don't know if I can be arsed from day one now, if at all.

Bowing down to those that already had the system in place that they wanted (Sony's model) means that our choice has gone. Fuck spending over £500 and only having 2 games to play. I just don't know what to do but the chances of me having either system on day one has just took a massive nosedive.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, just don't go day one. I'm waiting till after Christmas so I can make a proper choice after all the facts are known. Plenty still to do on the 360 yet, plus the games will hopefully be cheaper after the new gen is out.
  • Didn't see that one coming....!

In all honesty it leaves a pretty sour taste in the mouth.

To go from 'Fuck you consumer, you must obey by our rules, its for the good of the industry...its the future' bullshit to 'ok we hear you now thank you for your pro Sony feedback, please buy our console' certainly reflects pretty badly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Only if that's the way you saw it in the first place, which not everyone did.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Only if that's the way you saw it in the first place, which not everyone did.
    Yeah.

It's exactly that view that has fucked it for those of us that were happy with what we were getting.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.
    I may very well cancel my pre-order now. I was all for game-sharing, fuck being stuck with only what I have bought to play. They have just removed the most attractive feature of the XB1 for me.

Well, the sharing of games bought digitally might not be off the table. I don't see why they couldn't be shared.

Between pettiness, spite and not giving a fuck about blu-ray I'm going to make damn sure no disc ever sees the inside of my XB1 (if and when I get one).
  • Just goes to shows that M$ underestimate us as consumers.  This is a huge egg on face moment and I bet a few suits lose their jobs over this clusterfuck.

This is a 'Where were you?' moment.  Up there with Princess Diana.

"We tried to pull the wool over your eyes with this 24 hour sign in bullshit and the fact you couldn't trade games with your mates anymore, ya know, like you've been doing since the days of the NES.  But we've realised that only 3 people would buy our new box because of this and we're sorry - if we scrap it all will you still give us your hard earned $$$?"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oh ffs.
  • Digital sharing is off the table, that's in the statement.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, which is shit.
  • Plan M wrote:
    Just goes to shows that M$ underestimate us as consumers.  This is a huge egg on face moment and I bet a few suits lose their jobs over this clusterfuck.

This is a 'Where were you?' moment.  Up there with Princess Diana.

"We tried to pull the wool over your eyes with this 24 hour sign in bullshit and the fact you couldn't trade games with your mates anymore, ya know, like you've been doing since the days of the NES.  But we've realised that only 3 people would buy our new box because of this and we're sorry - if we scrap it all will you still give us your hard earned $$$?"

Not sure if srs...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Digital sharing is off the table, that's in the statement.

It says

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc.

Which definitely reads like digital sharing (of digitally bought games) is off the table, but I don't see why it has to be. Especially if Steam are adding it. It could be just that they're using simple terms.

If that happens then it will hasten the death of discs not prolong it. A pyrrhic victory if ever there was one.
  • Only if that's the way you saw it in the first place, which not everyone did.

Lets not split hairs, most did.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    It says These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Which definitely reads like digital sharing (of digitally bought games) is off the table, but I don't see why it has to be. Especially if Steam are adding it. It could be just that they're using simple terms. If that happens then it will hasten the death of discs not prolong it. A pyrrhic victory if ever there was one.

Yes, but the next line says: 
    Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold.
  • So are well buying the 180 now?  I can't keep up.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    It says These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Which definitely reads like digital sharing (of digitally bought games) is off the table, but I don't see why it has to be. Especially if Steam are adding it. It could be just that they're using simple terms. If that happens then it will hasten the death of discs not prolong it. A pyrrhic victory if ever there was one.

It does yes. Um.

Well let's see. I still don't see why technically something you can never trade can't be sold. Perhaps it really was a deal that was struck in exchange for system level DRM. There's no technical reason to lose it.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    It does yes. Um. Well let's see. I still don't see why technically something you can never trade can't be sold. Perhaps it really was a deal that was struck in exchange for system level DRM. There's no technical reason to lose it.

Mod has a point. Just because they take this stuff out doesn't mean they can't put it back at a later date, just to experiment. In the last console cycle both companies made changes to their policies.
    And let's not forget that Steam is going to allow sharing or swapping of licences in the future.

It could happen.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I couldn't give a toss if I can't share games, disc or digital. It won't affect me in the slightest.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So they took out all the good shit just to let tramps trade games with each other? Poor show.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So they took out all the good shit just to let tramps trade games with each other? Poor show.
    My sentiments exactly.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sell your shares in EA and get some in Smack Converters.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    "There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch."

Hope springs eternal.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715
  • So it is gonna be the same as PS4?
    Now if they drop the price to match and fuck off Kinect then they may see some pre-orders.

@Mod74 @Moto70
    I realise this isn't good news for you guys but you have to see how this is a win for the consumer. The people spoke and they got it their way. Next up, convincing Apple to stop ruining their products by over restricting them.
  • Me too I think. Kinect + POWERDACLOOOOOOD can't cost more than all dat rams in the PS4 surely?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I can't see a price cut.

The far stronger line up of games, value some people see in Kinect, online experience, cloud, controller, brand loyalty etc are enough to ride out an £80 difference. That's before any subsidy or price cut.

£80 will make fuck all difference to the launch numbers, those folk would buy at any price.
  • Also this is surely the death nail in DRM's coffin.

Major (MAJOR) player ditches DRM speaks volumes, especially now EA have also ditched online codes.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I can't see a price cut. The far stronger line up of games, value some people see in Kinect, online experience, cloud, controller, brand loyalty etc are enough to ride out an £80 difference. That's before any subsidy or price cut. £80 will make fuck all difference to the launch numbers, those folk would buy at any price.

They should go £399.99 here. That magic penny below 4 ton will make a world of difference, or do a £500 bundle with 2 games and a months gold.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Also this is surely the death nail in DRM's coffin. Major (MAJOR) player ditches DRM speaks volumes, especially now EA have also ditched online codes.

HA!

I can't wait to see if EA stick to their "nah, we never wanted Online Passes in the first place" line. I'm convinced they dropped them with the expectation of both platforms doing it at system level.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!