Xbox One
  • I would hope (it's a doubtful hope) they get smart like FIFA Ultimate team.

Entirely optional but a total cash cow. You could play FIFa without even knowing it exists, you could spend hundreds getting the best team or you could rinse it via eBay like a couple of mates did and make about £50 a month.

Erybuddy winz.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I can't see a price cut. The far stronger line up of games, value some people see in Kinect, online experience, cloud, controller, brand loyalty etc are enough to ride out an £80 difference. That's before any subsidy or price cut. £80 will make fuck all difference to the launch numbers, those folk would buy at any price.

That's subjective. For me they're both a bit meh. AAA first party stuff goes to Xbox, but the indie stuff + possibly superior 3rd parties due to more power makes it fairly equal.
  • OH Gurt check the Music fred.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I can't see a price cut. The far stronger line up of games, value some people see in Kinect, online experience, cloud, controller, brand loyalty etc are enough to ride out an £80 difference. That's before any subsidy or price cut. £80 will make fuck all difference to the launch numbers, those folk would buy at any price.
    That's subjective. For me they're both a bit meh. AAA first party stuff goes to Xbox, but the indie stuff + possibly superior 3rd parties due to more power makes it fairly equal.

You're correct it's subjective to the individual. But I'd say that subjectively the games they do have are more mass market appealing.

Without being too bitchy, and acknowledging it's fairly early days in the dev process, there hasn't been a lot of evidence of this extra power making better looking/running games.
  • Ah ok I see your point about mass-market appeal, I'm kind of out of touch with whatever the "mainstream" like in terms of games, so I tend to forget about that.

And yeah, the extra power thing is unknown at this point, that's why I said possibly. From my perspective of owning a PS3 for just over half(I think) of this generation, I've often had the irritation of a shoddy/lesser version, so getting the more powerful machine is very appealing. I think the architecture of both of them is nice enough for devs that we wont see the problems of this gen.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm genuinely reconsidering my next gen purchasing decision right now. That Titanfall does look good.
  • Me too Yoss. Quite excited by a new shiny Forza and I'm intrigued by Quantum Break.
  • I'm the only happy one then; sharing was almost irrelevant to me, but the lack of a check in means it can follow me to Afghanistan if I end up being sent there for half of next year, and the region free stuff means I can buy one here, tax free, and save a fair bit. 

If anyone wants to take the risk on import tax I'll buy them for you btw.
  • You're not alone Elm. I'm certainly happier with the policy revision. I shouldn't have pre-ordered the PS4 as there's nothing at launch that I'm that interested in, so I'll be cancelling that. Might just pre-order the Xbox instead.
  • Hurrah for not being alone! I hate being alone :(
  • I care more about what I get from the machine, not whether stat X is Y or Z versus the PS4.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:

Speak for yourself. In my book if you sell me something less well-specced for more money then I'm a fucking mug.

dude, it has an HDMI IN. yeah.
  • On Gizmodo they said a consequence of this U turn will be that publishers won't be able to make games cheaper because they can't guarantee revenue on second, third fourth sales now. I think its ridiculously naive to think games would have got cheaper if one company held all of the keys to control where and when games could be moved.
  • If publishers don't make games cheaper it's them that will suffer, their choice.
  • On Gizmodo they said a consequence of this U turn will be that publishers won't be able to make games cheaper because they can't guarantee revenue on second, third fourth sales now. I think its ridiculously naive to think games would have got cheaper if one company held all of the keys to control where and when games could be moved.

Especially as the selling environment would be locked down, as such creating a non competitive market.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Mod74 wrote:
    HA! I can't wait to see if EA stick to their "nah, we never wanted Online Passes in the first place" line. I'm convinced they dropped them with the expectation of both platforms doing it at system level.
    Most of their on-line games are very DLC heavy, I think it's possible that the pass genuinely didn't work. If no one bought the pass, they then didn't buy any of that DLC. They might think it better to take the hit on the second hand sale, but keep the community numbers up and sell more DLC.
    It's possible that's the writers genuine opinion on the subject, but more likely to be click bait.
  • I_R wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    HA! I can't wait to see if EA stick to their "nah, we never wanted Online Passes in the first place" line. I'm convinced they dropped them with the expectation of both platforms doing it at system level.
    Most of their on-line games are very DLC heavy, I think it's possible that the pass genuinely didn't work. If no one bought the pass, they then didn't buy any of that DLC. They might think it better to take the hit on the second hand sale, but keep the community numbers up and sell more DLC.

EA have reiterated that Online passes will not be resurrected in light of XB1's DRM policy changes.
  • I_R wrote:
    On Gizmodo they said a consequence of this U turn will be that publishers won't be able to make games cheaper because they can't guarantee revenue on second, third fourth sales now. I think its ridiculously naive to think games would have got cheaper if one company held all of the keys to control where and when games could be moved.
    It's possible that's the writers genuine opinion on the subject, but more likely to be click bait.

Thought the writer laid it all out very well, actually.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • yup, it certainly seemed more rational than the eurogamer piece which was some horrid passionate plea to ms to leave DRM alone so that scholars in the future could assess the impact of halo 5 on year 2070 life or whatever.
  • yup, it certainly seemed more rational than the eurogamer piece which was some horrid passionate plea to ms to leave DRM alone so that scholars in the future could assess the impact of halo 5 on year 2070 life or whatever.

Posted in the other thread, but I think this article is better than Gizmodo's and Eurogamer's

http://wasahiro.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/microsoft-do-a-condem-uturn-on-xbox-one/
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's this? Sasukekun posting pro Sony propaganda in the Xbox180 thread? Well I never.
  • I_R wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    This is an interesting take. Think you're probably right.
  • They've been switching to microtransaction for a while now - Real Racing 3 being a big tentpole for that approach. I don't think they'd go balls out with a full-on F2P Battlefield 5 or whatever (as BF Premium sub is doing well enough for them that it first sale profit probably wouldn't be offset by any revenue bump from microtransactions), but from what they've said it seems pretty clear that microtransactions and DLC are a better ROI than online passes. Of course, only they'd know the full figures.
    They have dabbled in lower-tier F2P like battlefield heroes - so maybe we'll see more spinoffs like that - e.g. Battlefield 1942 on xbone/PS4 being F2P cloud be cool - would keep player numbers up.
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see some much more balls out micro-transactions in BF4, it would be very easy to get away with putting some guns completely behind a paywall.

As far as everyone else goes, Destiny, Titanfall and The Division seemed to have the biggest impact at E3 and people are tripping if they think they'll be paying £40 and that will be the end of it.
  • What's this? Sasukekun posting pro Sony propaganda in the Xbox180 thread? Well I never.

What's this? Sparky posting a snarky unnecessary comment in a thread? Well I never.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just keep your sad fanboy shit to the main thread.
  • Just keep your sad fanboy shit to the main thread.

If you actually read the article you'd see it was quite balanced. You can throw the 'fanboy' tag around hoping it'll shame me into silence but you'd be wrong. I've posted a considerable amount of positive XB1 stuff in both this thread and the other since the reveal and shall continue to do so.
    Funny how when I post something positive it is ignored and when I post something negative I'm automatically a fanboy.

You've been really antagonistic of late, unsure why really.
  • Come on guys, let's play nice?  This place has been getting very heated of late - we all used to be awesome to each other.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!