#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve done it. First draft of The Kite Flyer’s Tale is complete. I’m an absolute mess right now. I never knew I had it in me.

So then, 672 handwritten pages and a conservative estimate of 102,000 words.

I can’t really share anything right now, that’s just not my way. But for some reason I just want to share this song, which inspired me to go back to this story that had colonised my mind like a virus. Without it I don’t think I would have ever put pen to page. It just embodies the whimsy and soul of my tale.

A month off now. Will do some research, learn Scrivener and then on to a second draft.
    Get schwifty.
  • Huge congrats mate, a genuine achievement.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thanks, nick! :)
    Get schwifty.
  • Amazing stuff, Raz. Very impressed!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thank you, tiger.  You know, I was very nervous about how my ending would play out.  I’d had it even before much of the second act was locked, but you can never be sure about these things until you write them.  Not to say anything about my own skill as a writer - that needs bundles of work - but I am so incredibly happy with how it all turned out in the end.  The tale may have twisted and turned in the telling, but the ending was just as I had imagined it.  I’m incredibly happy.

If there’s a big story in you that you’ve been dying to tell, do it.  Sacrifice as much as you can to tell it.  The incoparable feeling is priceless.

Scout, I hope you get around to finishing your work soon too.
    Get schwifty.
  • Thanks Raz and huge congrats. What an achievement! I'm fascinated that your entire opus is hand written. I'm 100% digital (even note taking these days) and I just can't imagine working any other way. What I can see as being a really useful process is moving onto digital with your second draft, editing and rewriting as you copy your work over from your hand written pages. It's a really interesting way to work.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Make sure you save copies somewhere!

And congratulations!!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Smashing it in here gents, keep it up!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Make sure you save copies somewhere! And congratulations!!
    I was thinking that too. I'm constantly saving, backing up etc. The thought of having 100K words on paper is a little terrifying.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have to say I’m a little nervous myself.  But, you know, this is how writers used to do it.  As I’ve said, I will be jumping onto a MacBook for the second draft, but I won’t be completely abandoning my notebooks.  It’s a matter of convenience.  If there are lulls at work I can whip out a pad and make some progress.
    Get schwifty.
  • Second draft.

Will get a couple more thoughts on it before going tidying it up for submission.

Thanks to any and all who spare the time. :)
  • Read this earlier in the bath and forget to write up some feedback. Had an initial read through of your first effort and the premise left me a bit cold, but this is down to the fact it was a fantastical tale, which I don't tend to click with. Strange really, as I love sci-fi, which you would think shares common values with fantasy. 

I digress. Spending some time with the tale, I really enjoyed it. It wouldn't look out of place amongst Gaiman's oeuvre. The best thing about your writing is that you treat the reader with respect and don't shower them with exposition. You give just enough detail to guide the reader along, tease them even and then leave a lot unanswered that we need to work out for ourselves. 

I thought the descriptive elements of the tale were great and you make such great use of your text - there is zero waffle. I liked the creation of Amb, the denouement of the tale and the balance between the two sisters. The only bit that I wasn't sure about was the lines beginning "Hubris, arrogance, conceit" - just felt a  bit obvious? 

Your writing never feels particularly safe and I think it takes a confident writer to create text in a relatively unconventional way.
  • Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Stoph. Means a lot and you're a fine chap for helping out*.

Again, thanks for your kind words. I tend to be clearer with the longer stuff I'm working on (The Book) but I continually find myself drawn to vaguery in short form. Not sure what it is exactly - I enjoy stories that paint an outline and ask the reader to fill in the blanks, as it were. I think it comes down to that. Lots of people don't like this, sadly. Anyhow, I'm agreement with you on the lines about hubris etc - It's one of the only parts I'm still quite unhappy with. I had been tempted to leave this more open to interpretation and not tell the reader what the words are, but I it may also work if I just change this to be more vengeful (daughter's names or something -  a knock-on from her disastrous parenting skills and what is has brought out of Caitlin... spite).

Will mull this over.

*On that note, I was skimming through my OneDrive earlier and came across the reference you wrote me when I was getting stiffed by my former colleagues. Never forget <3!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I apologise for my tardiness, tiger, but I finally got around to reading Scarsong today.  It’s an absolute cheek in my opinion, coming from someone who didn’t go on to further education and probably knows fuck all, but I made some small suggestions.  I’m not at all familiar with this google docs app, so it’s only cursory stuff.  I enjoyed it on the whole.  Are you going to take any more passes at it?

EDIT: One thing I did notice, and is moderately reflected in my suggestions, is that there is an aggressive overuse of semicolons.  In my humble opinion, obvs.
    Get schwifty.
  • Huge thanks for taking the time. :)

Always ready to look at things again! A variety of opinions is invaluable.

I've had it on submission to 2 places. Went to the final round at Shimmer - probably the most interesting semi-pro market for sci-fi/fantasy short fiction - where it was rejected...

After further consideration, we're going to pass on this one. I liked the idea here, but in the end we didn't feel it covered enough new ground. I know that's pretty vague and unhelpful, but I do feel as though we see a lot of stories about mothers/children, and I wish they pushed more than they do. I think back to your first Shimmer story, and how that did push itself in unusual ways--and I think that's what I mean.

Good luck with this one. I hope you will keep trying us!

Disappointing, of course. Put it out to Apex next.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve got to be honest, tiger, it does at this moment seem to me more like a work in progress rather than a finished article.  If it means anything to you, I’ve thought about it long after reading.  I do feel like a cretin giving any advice like this, so I think perhaps I should stick my own neck on the line.  I’ve almost competed a first draft of The Shield Thief prologue.  Will put it up when it’s done and we’ll just see how I awful I am.
    Get schwifty.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    So, erm, a couple of months ago I was sat waiting for my car to be serviced.  They had just announced that there was a problem, and I was going to be stuck there for quite a while longer than expected.  I checked my email, and saw a message from The Caterpillar - a magazine I had subscribed to for the kids, announcing a story competition.  So whilst waiting for the car I wrote a thing. It won. All of which makes it even more embarrassing that I haven't written anything else, but as part of the prize is to go on a writer's retreat, maybe I'll finally find some time to address that...

I have a million posts to catch up on in this thread but have just got to this one and wanted to say congratulations.  Also you are ginger, and for that you have my deepest sympathy.
  • I will jump back to 2016 posts now.  See you all again in two years' time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Spoiler:
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Apologies.  I did try to put all of that in spoilers, but using a Mac and moving my text from Scrivener to here, I clearly don't have a clue what I'm doing.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve just started to read that over and it seems Scrivener makes edits to earlier text based on new corrections.  Not really happy about that, as it buggers up previous text.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Took me 20 minutes to clean that up don't say I don't love ya

Mr Yewtree is an unfortunate name.
  • Mr Yewtree is an unfortunate name.
    Yeah, it is a bit. Wasn't sure I wanted to read the marvellous tales of Mr Yewtree...

I haven't read past the first few paragraphs yet, but will hopefully have time tomorrow.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Appreciate if you do.  Yewtree is a placeholder.
    Get schwifty.
  • Will get to reading when I have some time. Love that you have a character called Mr Yewtree... !
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve got to be honest, tiger, it does at this moment seem to me more like a work in progress rather than a finished article.  If it means anything to you, I’ve thought about it long after reading.  I do feel like a cretin giving any advice like this, so I think perhaps I should stick my own neck on the line.

Certainly don't feel like a cretin. One reader's opinion is as valid as any other.

I don't feel the same about it being a WIP. It's not perfect, but it's basically done as far as I am concerned. I will probably make some tweaks after a couple more rejections. Well, maybe. :)
  • Unlikely wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    So, erm, a couple of months ago I was sat waiting for my car to be serviced.  They had just announced that there was a problem, and I was going to be stuck there for quite a while longer than expected.  I checked my email, and saw a message from The Caterpillar - a magazine I had subscribed to for the kids, announcing a story competition.  So whilst waiting for the car I wrote a thing. It won. All of which makes it even more embarrassing that I haven't written anything else, but as part of the prize is to go on a writer's retreat, maybe I'll finally find some time to address that...
    I have a million posts to catch up on in this thread but have just got to this one and wanted to say congratulations.  Also you are ginger, and for that you have my deepest sympathy.

Thanks, it’s appreciated, on both counts (the latter is a cross I just have to bear).
  • If you're lucky you'll go bald soon.

My wife suggested it would be nice to have a published copy, if such a thing existed.  Is the 2016 winter edition of The Caterpiller the only option?  Suspect that might be difficult to source now.

Er, for clarity, a published copy of your story, not your hair.
  • I pull at my hair every day in hope.

Sadly the only published version is still The Caterpillar.  I’ve had a few people suggest I send it round to some publishers, but for a variety of reasons (mainly laziness and fear of rejection) it never happened.

That said if you’d really like a paper copy I probably still have a couple lying around at home, and you’re welcome to have one.
  • That would be genuinely awesome. I've looked at the website but unless I'm missing something it's not available.
  • I will give you £5 for Unlikely's copy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!