• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yikes Davy, I'd say that's a bit steep. You can get one on eBay for around £35-45. Wii prices have generally dropped across the board.

oops. That does seem to have dropped. It was more or less the going rate at the time as it was a limited release and in demand.

It isn't going anywhere anyhow. Shrugs.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    You can get it for like £10-15 now

Nice, cheers.

Endless Ocean is another I wanted but seemed a bit steep at the time.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yikes Davy, I'd say that's a bit steep. You can get one on eBay for around £35-45. Wii prices have generally dropped across the board.

oops. That does seem to have dropped. It was more or less the going rate at the time as it was a limited release and in demand.

It isn't going anywhere anyhow. Shrugs.

I was very lucky in that I just found a copy sitting in Game for a cheap price. The price rocketed when it was revealed it was out of print to around £70-80 a pop, but the release of it on WiiU VC saw it start to cool off. As I said, everything on Wii is coming down, which often happens about this time - around 5-7 years ago, GameCube stuff was going for a song - and it'll jump up again soon .

regmcfly wrote:
    You can get it for like £10-15 now

Nice, cheers.

Endless Ocean is another I wanted but seemed a bit steep at the time.

The first can be grabbed for single digits for sure by now . The second is hard to find but not extortionate
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you re on a Wii Spree here's my out of date collection pictures with comments:

Top notch 2D platforming
    wiiGames1.jpg

I sold Paper Mario. Lovely game but not my thing. Sports Mix is so-so due to lack of depth but good in multi-player
    wiiGames2.jpg

RE. Can't go wrong. Solid light gun games too.
    wiiGames3.jpg

I like the Conduit games but I'm not really an FPS bod. The Wii control scheme is excellent though. Got rid of the COD games.
    wiiGames4.jpg

Sonic sports game. Not great. Got shot of the London one which has a tedious board game that gets in the way.
    wiiGames5.jpg

Great examples of motion control done right. Gottlieb pinball has great nudge control. The 2nd Boom Blox is slicker - you only need one of them.
    wiiGames6.jpg

Sold these. They're OK - but you're better off with Nintendo mini game offerings. If I was getting one of these I'd get the original.
    wiiGames7.jpg

Top drawer light gun. Zelda Crossbow is underrated.
    wiiGames8.jpg

Nintendo does mini games. All great. Wii Music is a toy not a game and a charming collectable. The drumming gives you another thing to do with the balance board as it's used as pedals. Wii Party was a late release that many missed - some rather nice tactical games here and some games for kids with interesting use of the wiimotes. (One mode has it making different sounds and the kids have to find it after you hide it)
    wiiGames9.jpg

Smarty Pants is a basic but rather good quiz game. Big Brain Academy is good too - has multi-player modes that are competitive. Wouldn't bother with the other two. Wii Chess is nice only if you are a collector.
    wiiGames10.jpg

I found deBlob overrated and tedious. Got rid. Trauma Centre is good use of motion control.
    wiiGames11.jpg

Fruit Fall was a cash in early release. Collector fodder. It's OK. Bust-a-Move has an interesting motion option which makes it feel different enough for a look. Jewel Quest Trilogy is choc-full of content and pointer control is optimal. Tetris Party Dx is similar - piles of modes - more than the WiiWare version - and my favourite take on Tetris.
    wiiGames12.jpg

I have yet to play Pikmin on Wii!
    wiiGames13.jpg

Only kept All Stars Racing. Colours was nice but I'm not a big Sonic fan.
    wiiGames14.jpg

Shmups on Wii - Blastworks was a nice idea but I found it dull to play. Sold it. Metal Slug Anthology is nice but is almost ruined by idiotic control options. No classic control support either. Saved by the GC controller option. No dpad (they really did try and screw this game up) but the stick with its grooves works well.
    wiiGames15.jpg

Mushroom Men is a nice 3D adventure game but it wasn't my thing. Sold Monster Hunter Hunter. Namco Museum has nice but dull 3D remakes. It has a handful of emulated classics with some oddities you won't have seen before included. A mixed bag - one for collectors. Worms on Wii is rather good.
    wiiGames16.jpg

Sold Monopoly Collection(the original game is solid enough but Streets is annoying). The solo release of original Monopoly is buggy and doesn't always save your progress but this version seems to work OK. Everything else is very good.
    wiiGames17.jpg

Pacman Party is a very nice tactical game that the Mario Party devs should have looked at. MP8 is still OK though some of the motion games are hit and miss. MP9 is just pure luck though nicely presented. Boom Street is an excellent tactical Monopoly style game (there's more to it than that but that's the nearest I can think of). Really nice presentation although you can't save your progress in multi-player which is a mad design decision as a game takes a couple of hours.
    wiiGames18.jpg

Biggest Loser ? Never booted it up. Sold. They screwed up Samba though once you realise how the control works it isn't as bad as you initially think. Have kept Samba. Wii Fit Plus is still entertaining.
    wiiGames19.jpg

Solid. Raving Rabbids Collection is great value. But feeling a bit clunky now.
    wiiGames20.jpg

Mensa isn't worth your time (though it has genuine, tough Mensa tests in one mode) Fritz Chess is shovel ware.
    wiiGames21.jpg

Kept all these except VT4 which is clunky and contrived. Better to stick with earlier releases. Wing Island is a charming Pilotwings style game that got criticised but I like it.  Angry Birds is completely at home on Wii because of the control.
    wiiGames22.jpg
  • Wing Island is another I always wanted to try but was put off by the reviews.

Nice collection/write ups mate.

Zelda Crossbow is indeed underrated.

Gotta give a shout out to Wii Play, just for Tanks.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mushroom Men is a good curio.  Les Claypool provided the soundtrack iirc (may have just been a couple of tracks, got the album somewhere).
  • Funny old console the Wii. There's some good stuff on it but I'm not really taken by any of the first party stuff, which is usually what makes Nintendo consoles. The Galaxies were good fun for a while of course, but everything else was a bit tepid.

Little King's Story, Dead Space Extraction, No More Heroes and S+P 2 were my highlights.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A picture I missed

Animal Crossing - my daughters loved this. I never got it. Metroid 3 replaced with Trilogy.
    Warioland - lovely looking game - mean to go back to it.
    WarioWare isn't as good as the Gamecube game but still good fun.
    Punch Out - top drawer - really good remake.
    Smash Bros - not really my thing - but a ton of content here.

wiiGames.jpg

Some more recommended but not pictured:

Ivy the Kiwi - gorgeous looking platformer with original pointer based control. Very nice indeed with 4 player modes.

Rhythm Paradise : Beat the Beat - excellent port to the Wii. 

Monkey Ball Banana Blitz needless addition of a jump button but the main game is nice. Pile of minigames but the quality isn't a patch on the GC games.

Monkey Ball Step n Roll got this for another balance board game - fine for that.
  • I remember being annoyed that you couldn't use your Metroid Prime 3 save file with the Trilogy version.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • On the off chance someone isnt aware of this

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?sort=titleSorter

Software for MS-DOS machines that represent entertainment and games. The collection includes action, strategy, adventure and other unique genres of game and entertainment software. Through the use of the EM-DOSBOX in-browser emulator, these programs are bootable and playable
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Great collection Davy. I'll post mine this week. There's maybe 5 overall still that I would like, your pics reminded me -

In no order
    1) DKCR - have it on 3DS but would like the original Wii one. What a platformer.
    2) Let's Tap - would love it with the tap box :)
    3) namco Museum - I'm flat up a sucker for these type things. Still have the namco / taito / capcom ones for ps2....
    4) Muramasa - mentioned this elsewhere but I think a badger will ultimately be selling me theirs.
    5) A Boy and His Blob - just looks charming.

I have already your light gun games - a man of taste, the system does them brilliantly :)

• *takes long drag*

Mmmm. Mmmm.
  • I worked on a bunch of them games :)

Some good memories.
  • I had a Boy and his Blob and Muramasa when I was picking up oddities to play.  Couldn't get on with up for jump in Muramasa and never unwrapped B&HB.  Ebay says I got £24.56 for it, so I'm not sure whether I did well.  Was £11.99 from Play.com originally though, so I did well enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Boy and his Blob would be nice. Have lingered over that one several times.

Also not pictured was Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns. Two old light gun games on one disc. Basic , bare bones - but silly and enjoyable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Dx update.

The original failed power supply has arrived back at the suppler (Philadelphia). After repair they are going to test it in an Asteroids Deluxe they are working on next week..

So when it gets back to me it should be perfect. It means the one I'm using now can be a spare. Though I might see if I can swap it or get it modded so it is 100% compatible for sound.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have 4 tap boxes.  :)
  • Can you buy a retropie with all mame roms preinstalled? I really want one with arcade game roms from late 80s and early 90s.

Also im lazy and cant be arsed building one myself.
  • I've decided it's time to ditch Retro Gamer too.  The Pac-Man one has arrived at work, and I'm sure this is the second or third time they've covered Aladdin on Megadrive.  Good game, decent enough article, but come on now.  I'm sure 'Sonic The Hedgehog on the Master System' has been covered too, so when the articles aimed at Segamans like me are eliciting yawns it's time to move on.  

Can I have some podcast/Youtube recommendations to fill the void please?  Retro themed, heavy on the Sega if possible - or not Nintendo-centric, at least.  I've seen a Metal Jesus Saturn rarities thing and a fair few older Angry Videogame Nerd vids, but that's about it, aside from the odd thing that's been posted in here.  I've shied away from podcasts in general, mainly because I buy so much music - not so much recently, but I'm still pretty backed up - I'm worried getting sucked in would take me away from stuff I've paid for, but I'm ready now.  I probably did this a few years ago, asked for suggestions and said I was ready, but I wasn't.  I am now though.  Hit me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I'm lucky enough to have 4 tap boxes.  :)

Youre the reason I can't find them
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've decided it's time to ditch Retro Gamer too.  The Pac-Man one has arrived at work, and I'm sure this is the second or third time they've covered Aladdin on Megadrive.  Good game, decent enough article, but come on now.  I'm sure 'Sonic The Hedgehog on the Master System' has been covered too, so when the articles aimed at Segamans like me are eliciting yawns it's time to move on.  

Can I have some podcast/Youtube recommendations to fill the void please?  Retro themed, heavy on the Sega if possible - or not Nintendo-centric, at least.  I've seen a Metal Jesus Saturn rarities thing and a fair few older Angry Videogame Nerd vids, but that's about it, aside from the odd thing that's been posted in here.  I've shied away from podcasts in general, mainly because I buy so much music - not so much recently, but I'm still pretty backed up - I'm worried getting sucked in would take me away from stuff I've paid for, but I'm ready now.  I probably did this a few years ago, asked for suggestions and said I was ready, but I wasn't.  I am now though.  Hit me.

I'm a patreon on Back in my Play which is one the the best I've found. The guy who runs it - Kevin Larrabee- gets big people in on episodes, he's lining up Ryan Payton for an MGS4 one soon, and he does proper deep dive research. He's also done episodes about the optimal set up, and had music centred episodes with people like Brave Wave on them . If you patreon you can get in on a very good discord channel too which I've found really useful.

Retronauts is also good, as is Greg Stewart's Generation 16 stuff if you're into Sega.
  • Youtube:
    Cinermassacre
    Classic Gaming Quarterly
    The Gaming Historian
    Console Wars
    Did You Know Gaming
    Metal Jesus Rocks
    Wrestling With Gaming
    SNES drunk (covers other stuff)
    Slopes Game Room

Podcasts:
    The Retro Hour
    Maximum Power Up
    Thirty Twenty Ten (covers movies and music too)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • and invest in a smart phone.

YouTube on a commute is great.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Can agree with most of those YT recs apart from Metal Jesus. I find him incredibly annoying. Game Sack > MJR.

Also, My Life In Gaming is not bad at all.
  • Yeah good shout on My Life in Gaming.

Will check out Game Sack.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not letting go of my phone on the commute is the main reason I never replaced the broken Blackberry.  Books*/GBA/Vita see me through nicely.  

Got Youtube/internet access most of the day at work now though, will check out a few of the recs, cheers.

*Not a single one since the 52 games thing started last year though, for shame.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Related to Metal Jesus is The Immortal John Hancock, who I think is leans a bit more towards Sega. Only watched a couple videos of him, he has a lot of really old stuff and curious. He also looks like he's smiling all the time, which I like.
  • SummoningSalt on youtube does really good analysis videos on the progression of speedrun world records.
  • Not retro per se but I won't stop shouting about Noclip from the rooftops. Just released the second part of their Warframe documentary. Part one, like all their stuff, was just great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Not retro per se but I won't stop shouting about Noclip from the rooftops. Just released the second part of their Warframe documentary. Part one, like all their stuff, was just great.
    Seconded. The DOOM stuff was great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!