Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • djchump wrote:
    Speed Racer is fantastic.
    Thank you!!!!

Is there any doubt that this is fact? Them races, daaaamn.
  • I’ve tried to get multiple people to watch it on multiple occasions. Not a single person got past half way.
  • What?? It's so gorgeous
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    What?? It's so gorgeous

I agree.

I get it, though. It's intense and fast and there's a lot of colour. It's like having candy injected directly into your eyeballs. I can understand it wears people who don't click with it down quickly. Doesn't mean they're not wrong. But, you know...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Wait.......The Wachowski sisters? Has the world gone fucking mad?
    They’re trans so... no?

Just seems odd that both brothers are trans.

Old man out-of-touch knee-jerk reaction mode disabled.

Back peddling.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wait.......The Wachowski sisters? Has the world gone fucking mad?
    They’re trans so... no?
    I think he meant the idea that the Wachowskis are involved at all just makes the idea even more ridiculous. Especially after their body of work since the first Matrix.

well - I could have jumped at that as a "get out" but I won't.........

I was being an arse. The whole trans thing turns my head inside out. Not the concept of it but the perceived volume of it.  It's really rather sad that so many people are so unhappy.  Life is difficult enough without having to wrestle with your gender/alignment/identity. It's a real mind fuck for me. I was really reacting to the fact that both of them are trans.

But yeah - Matrix 4 - pointless.
  • I wouldn't worry about it - it seems "sudden" in terms of volume, but there's probably a load of people in the past who just couldn't be who they wanted to be. The fact that both Wachowskis are trans is an anomaly, sure, but not outside the realms of possibility. Ultimately, if they're happier with who they are then it's a net good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wouldn't worry about it - it seems "sudden" in terms of volume, but there's probably a load of people in the past who just couldn't be who they wanted to be. The fact that both Wachowskis are trans is an anomaly, sure, but not outside the realms of possibility. Ultimately, if they're happier with who they are then it's a net good.

That's what freaks me.. It's been hidden all this time...an awful lot of people really do seem to have pretty fundamental problems.

Sexual preferences - whatever floats your boat - but gender seems such a foundation to be unsure of.

My default reaction to trans is pity. I know that probably offends people. The suicide rates are horrific - I find it hard to see how they can ever be truly happy.
  • davyK wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it - it seems "sudden" in terms of volume, but there's probably a load of people in the past who just couldn't be who they wanted to be. The fact that both Wachowskis are trans is an anomaly, sure, but not outside the realms of possibility. Ultimately, if they're happier with who they are then it's a net good.
    That's what freaks me.. It's been hidden all this time...an awful lot of people really do seem to have pretty fundamental problems.

There's a whole load of stuff to unpack - there's a reason why older feminist theory had run up against trans rights. But, the best we can do is focus on what is gonna make society healthier and happier in the long term. The best we can do is try to read and unpack and focus on what will benefit society in the long term without trying to let our own preconceptions take away the rights of others.

This is not a criticism of you - it's clear there's nothing malicious in what you've wrote. There's big changes afoot and there's a lot to take in. Again, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thanks. I was being a dick though.
  • davyK wrote:
    dick

This conversation always comes back to the genitals, doesn’t it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Wachowskis were shit as men, I'm sure they're just as shit as women. Um, as women they're just as shit... Well you know what I mean.
  • Kow wrote:
    The Wachowskis were shit as men, I'm sure they're just as shit as women. Um, as women they're just as shit... Well you know what I mean.

That they’re shit directors?

Although even that would be arguable.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    This didn't need posted.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's nothing in that post but transphobia. If you'd said "their movies are shite" or "they've never made a good movie" then fair enough, but the crux of the post, or the "joke" or whatever is about the fact that they are trans. It's shitty and not needed.
  • I read it as “it doesn’t matter whether they’re male or female, they’re shite”. Don’t see anything transphobic about that really. Perhaps could’ve been worded better.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, the post made a distinction about gender, which was not needed and dragged attention to it. Tis like deadnaming someone. Fucking refuse that answer daddy.
  • Well I’m not gonna argue over someone else’s post, I’m sure kow will shed light if he feels the need, but I didn’t read it the same.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • In this instance, I think you’re reading an intention that wasn’t there Reg.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, I refute that. There's no need to comment over how they choose to identify themselves at all. The quality of their movies is up for debate. Everything else is for them. Fuckin hell, this isn't rocket science.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    No, I refute that. There's no need to comment over how they choose to identify themselves at all. The quality of their movies is up for debate. Everything else is for them. Fuckin hell, this isn't rocket science.

That's basically what Kow's point was. What they identify as is totally irrelevant to him.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Then why comment on it. He had no need to mention the fact they are trans.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Someone else mentioned it before him.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Once again "their films are shit" covers that sentiment.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Indeed, but that was a discussion that was productive and ended positively.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    But it brought the trans thing into the conversation, Kow just stated that it has no bearing on the quality of the film for him. Seems fair enough to me, I think you've grasped the shitty end of the stick.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I might need to bow out here because so much of what I'm doing at work is about trying to change attitudes and discussions around this - as you may expect this is a widening field at school, and as the LGBT link it's very personal to me.
    When we talk about people and their professional lives, the discussion should literally be about their proficiency. Women have had this put up against them for over 50 years and now it's coming against LGBT people. I apologise if I seem "immediate reaction", but as part of my remit this year I'm trying to change attitudes in young people, so it will spill into here.
  • Burying any mention of someone’s transition isn’t healthy either, Reg. These two are high profile celebrity creative professionals. Fucking superstars in their field. Their background and their transitions are part of who they are, not something to ignore. It feeds into their work pretty fucking explicitly too.

I get that you’ve got to have the hottest take on this subject because you’re literally in the position of guiding young minds on how to handle it, but not every comment is a bad one or a wrong one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I resolve such situations by hating everyone, male or female.

Tbf in a lot of modern discourse there is no middle ground, its either black or white (not racist). Shite state of affairs at times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!