The British Politics Thread
  • The only advert I've seen was one saying that Labour would ruin the lives of Landlords, especially those whose only income is from Renting.

Good?
  • Aye.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That must be a very niche audience they're going for there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's every reason to believe a hung parliament is on the cards again. Both leaders and Brexit are very divisive.  The NHS is becoming a big enough issue to hamper a Tory lead but maybe it has come too late.

I'll be surprised if one gets enough for a working majority.

It will be interesting to see how the DUP vote holds in the face of Irish Sea border checks and the shambles we currently have with NHS strikes ongoing over here.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I really do think it is going to a hung parliament.
    Labour have been making some good ground in the past week.

Cons will almost certainly get more seats but realistically wont be able to do anything with them.

What was pitched as a straight forward election to get a Con majority I feel is going to be much more complex.

I dont think we will have a government this side of xmas.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    So, anyone staying up tomorrow night...?

I'm getting drunk. I've got Friday off work so I'm preemptively drowning my sorrows.
  • Yep right up until all hope is lost
  • I’m gonna be watching.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Wonder if she’ll have a big finale planned for early tomorrow.

“Now over to our senior political editor, Laura Kuenssberg for her final thoughts on this election campaign...”

*Cut to Laura burning Labour voting slips live on screen from the back of a BBC outside broadcast van*

Narratively the best version of this is a proper heel turn where it turns out she and a professor of psychology have worked out the perfect way to enrage labour supporters so the actually go out and vote and then she shows up hand in hand at Downing Street with corbyn.
  • Also a cute observation I saw the other day: if Johnson had agreed to Swinson and SNPs date he wouldn’t have had his worst election days (boy on the floor and fridge)
  • I'm getting home later tonight an immediately turning off phones, TV, radio, and just unplugging myself from it all. It's been a draining few weeks. Fully expecting to wake up to a miserable dystopia on Friday morning but at least I'll get a decent night's sleep.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yep right up until all hope is lost

This is me.  With a movie in parallel.  Where, worryingly, I'm on my pre-episode-IX star wars binge, and about 10pm tonight will have me moving from A New Hope to The Empire Strikes Back.  Fucking ruh-roh right there.
  • Just voted.

Turns out Labour we’re actually the Conservatives’ closest challenger during the last election, which is very strange down here.

It’s quite a large gap to bridge, but last time I didn’t vote Labour, because they usually have absolutely no chance. Maybe this time there’s a chance of getting Steve Double out.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I have the joys of spending today at Ibrox, doing the Rangers v Young Boys match. I wonder which way the hardcore Rangers fans will vote...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm sort of hoping for a hung parliament because I don't think Labour will get a working majority. If anyone is going to get one it's the Conservatives which I find rather depressing.

No evidence - just my feeling.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Never before have I felt such non-enthusiasm for all of the leaders.

And my constituency is safely Conservative so my vote won't count.

I'm still voting though, always vote.
  • I am truly fearing the worst
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just a few from 2 Irish councillors I chatted to, they felt corbyn gave himself too much of a task with trying to win over a suspect electorate with a proposal that had never been seen before. It might have been two big an ask. That's not to say they didn't think the labour plan would work or not, but it needed someone much more popular to pull off that type of change in how the country works. Oddly enough, one of them reckoned that Blair probably could have done it.

It's worth noting that while I agree some of the British media has absolutely vilified corbyn, the view of him from the Irish media wouldn't be great. Generally, whatever his aims, he isn't seen as a great politician and that looks to have been a key thing. He is too tied to one philosophy to win people over or work with them. Not saying that's accurate just giving you thee view from abroad.

I'm still amazed the tories are doing so well though. I know politics has become too adversarel but they really come across as scum in their decitiful campaign. It wouldn't even be a case of me disagreeing with their policies, it's actually them I disagree with.

SFV - reddave360
  • I'm luckily in a safe labour seat down here in Brixton, bare lengman ready to do us all a favour if any Tory cunts touch the road, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'm luckily in a safe labour seat down here in Brixton, bare lengman ready to do us all a favour if any Tory cunts touch the road, etc.
    Was living in Lambeth during the referendum, 78% is quite a clear directive
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So...
    - removal of parliamentary oversight on Brexit
    - removal of environmental and employment protection
    - reduction in loving wage
    - nurses bursary remaining well below what it used to be
    - £15bn on a bridge over a munitions dumping ground

All going about as well as expected then. The electorate getting what they wanted I suppose. Sigh.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I admit to a fleeting "maybe they won't be quite as bad as I'm imaging" sense of something as an emotional hedge after the results came in. That seems foolhardy in hindsight. Can't really house behind anything now. I guess the "surely they can't blame anybody else anymore" thread is something to cling on to?
  • So from BBC site:

"Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said many of the promises mimicked the "language of Labour policy but without the substance". "

Still winning that imaginary argument eh? You lost, embarrassingly. Stop making yourself sound even more pathetic.
  • I mean attempting to build an impossible bridge that will explode if you try could be Johnsons attempt to make his Brexit policy literal.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    So from BBC site:

"Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said many of the promises mimicked the "language of Labour policy but without the substance". "

Still winning that imaginary argument eh? You lost, embarrassingly. Stop making yourself sound even more pathetic.

You're being an idiot. He is actually not saying he won the argument, he is pointing out that he didn't, he wishes he did, but that the headlines of the policies don't reflect th substance. What's wrong with people that their takeaway of a criticism of the policy of the day is "fuck you Corbyn?"

Get your head examined, friend.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • He made the Tories consider public spending and improved services, both of which they’ll inevitably drop like hot coals from their priorities now that they’ve won the election.

(As any remotely informed voter would have suspected they would, despite people taking them at face value about their plans to build a hospital on every street corner and throw giant wads of money through the door of local councils).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!