Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • There's a lot that's maybe rushed in this film as JJ seemingly tries to make middle part of the trilogy again. But in the film sense I'm with Andy in that it works. First Rey shows the healing power on a smaller scale so it's a thing, then she does it larger to save Kylo, then Kylo returns the favour.

Compare to say TLJ were Luke suddenly can project himself across the galaxy and then dies, that to me was just a magic plot device.

Basically i didn't like the payoff on that so it was bad, but liked the payoff in Rise so it's fine :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The force projection thing in TLJ was bedded in when Kylo wasn't all that surprised that it was happening and knew it wasn't Rey doing it as it would take too much effort on her part. So it's a known technique.

Rey just randomly chanced her arm with the snake thing, oh look I got a new power now, that'll come in handy.
  • I think of the rey and kylo seeing each other while talking as different to Luke appearing to be somewhere else for everyone to see.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ok, it is different. Kylo didn't at first, as it's the force projection thing that he's talking about when he's saying it'll take too much effort.
  • Pacing and editing issues were my biggest gripes. The story is what it is, it’s not ideal or great, but show it well and I won’t have a problem. It jumped around way too much and tried to fit way too much in.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    First Rey shows the healing power on a smaller scale so it's a thing, then she does it larger to save Kylo, then Kylo returns the favour.

I think it's the first bedding in scene being a huge life or death risk that doesn't float my boat. I needed to see it on a much smaller scale than that. Maybe she cut herself in training, felt the wound and realised she could heal the scrape. Healed a pet. I dunno.

As it stands she risks her life on a whim. She might be able to fly, might as well jump into a canyon to test the theory. Survive in the vacuum of space? Let's jump out the airlock and see. Maybe I can stop a blaster bolt, Kylo can do it. Quick Fin, shoot me in the head and we'll find out. She's a walking Darwin Award, were it not for the force/plot tricks pulling her out of the shit.
  • I didn’t think that was the first time Rey had healed something. Her explanation afterwards indicated it’s a technique she has learned (along with a whole bunch of others) in her training. It’s not that she suddenly thought, “Ooh, I wonder if I can heal things.”
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Rey had the original Jedi books from the first temple so she could have rediscovered techniques that were lost even before the prequel trilogy. I feel like Ben was probably only able to heal Rey despite her being pretty much dead because of the dyad thing though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I didn’t think that was the first time Rey had healed something. Her explanation afterwards indicated it’s a technique she has learned (along with a whole bunch of others) in her training. It’s not that she suddenly thought, “Ooh, I wonder if I can heal things.”

What did she say afterwards?
  • She spoke about giving her life force. I can’t remember exactly, I wasn’t taking notes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Rey had the original Jedi books from the first temple so she could have rediscovered techniques that were lost even before the prequel trilogy.

Yup. Or she heard ghost voices telling her what to do. Or she just got lucky with it when she chanced her arm. None are particularly convincing to me though.
  • I'd agree the scene felt rushed, it's very much "omg monster"...."Hang on lads it's maybe just injured and if i heal if by putting my hands on the wound it will understand, appreciate and move away and open the door "....

But in the sense of her being able to heal i took it as a bit of 'look what I've learnt to do ' rather than first go at it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    She spoke about giving her life force. I can’t remember exactly, I wasn’t taking notes.

No indication at all that she's trained to do it then, she just explained what she thinks happened. Probably to bed in the idea of the life swapping twist later on so we weren't confused when Kylo died.
  • No, Paul, the line was a clear indication that she knew what she was doing before she tried it. Give it up.
  • The whole thesis of the JJ Contribution to Star Wars:

But what if the same... but more.
  • Not sure it’s better than TLJ for me. 

I have a second viewing next weekend with the kids. I’ll decide after that.
  • Also: was anakin not also Palpatine’s son? I asked someone about the irritation about reys lack of heritage last time around because obv anakin comes from nowhere too but they suggested palpatine was involved in that.

Which would mean that Ben and Rey are cousins?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    No, Paul, the line was a clear indication that she knew what she was doing before she tried it. Give it up.

To you maybe. I disagree. Try not to let that get to you though. We're only discussing Star Wars.
  • I’d have liked it if emperor had died because he took in the souls of nice people rather than whatever it was that happened (although I must admit that they wriggled out of having Rey kill palpatine directly very well, even though it probably would have been okay to do so).

• hylian_elf wrote:
    Pacing and editing issues were my biggest gripes. The story is what it is, it’s not ideal or great, but show it well and I won’t have a problem. It jumped around way too much and tried to fit way too much in.

This is exactly how I feel too. I feel like I might enjoy it more next time knowing what the pacing will be like.
    The first viewing threw me from the start with the Kylo scene being so rushed.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I’d have liked it if emperor had died because he took in the souls of nice people rather than whatever it was that happened (although I must admit that they wriggled out of having Rey kill palpatine directly very well, even though it probably would have been okay to do so).

I think if she'd have killed him directly he'd have force possessed her soul? And that was the aim with Luke, and Anakin before he got cut up by Obi-Wan. Palps needed a new host and one of Rey or Kylo would have done.
  • Also: was anakin not also Palpatine’s son? I asked someone about the irritation about reys lack of heritage last time around because obv anakin comes from nowhere too but they suggested palpatine was involved in that. Which would mean that Ben and Rey are cousins?

I thought Anakin was immaculate conception and a Jesus-a-like???

There’s some bollocks about Palpatine manipulating the midi chlorians bullshit to make her pregnant but that hardly makes him the father anyway, more a genetic scientist type meddler type bloke.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Imagine getting away with the immaculate conception line in this day and age. Git me a DNA test on that baby and cross reference it against the blue milkman. He delivers blue milk by the way, he's not a blue guy who delivers normo milk.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In a publicly released segment of a draft of Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine explicitly tells Anakin that he manipulated the midi-chorlians into creating him and thus in a way is his father. It was meant to parallel the Darth Vader and Luke plot twist from Empire but they cut it back.

Re: healing, it may be that it was intended to be backed up a bit more with dialogue that ended up having to be cut. It sounds like Rise has quite a few dangly bits from plotlines that were cut.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Also Rose was totally done in in this film by Finn. What an asshole.
  • Also the mother fuckers at Disney buy fox and don’t even bother putting the 20th century fox before the Star Wars music which was specifically designed to follow the 20th century fox music.

What a waste.
  • When Rey says to that alien “you’ve got such a beautiful name” i fucking wanted to curse the whole thing to death.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also: was anakin not also Palpatine’s son? I asked someone about the irritation about reys lack of heritage last time around because obv anakin comes from nowhere too but they suggested palpatine was involved in that. Which would mean that Ben and Rey are cousins?

I thought Anakin was immaculate conception and a Jesus-a-like???

There’s some bollocks about Palpatine manipulating the midi chlorians bullshit to make her pregnant but that hardly makes him the father anyway, more a genetic scientist type meddler type bloke.

If that is true then why does he need his actual bloodline via Rey to do the same plan he was originally going to do with anakin (and later luke? - ie need to re-energise into my own bloodline)
  • Andy wrote:
    No, Paul, the line was a clear indication that she knew what she was doing before she tried it. Give it up.
    To you maybe. I disagree. Try not to let that get to you though. We're only discussing Star Wars.

This is why I said I could see this going the same way as the last thread; people not paying attention while watching, and then laying the blame on the film. It is indeed only Star Wars, it shouldn’t be difficult.
  • Andy wrote:

Adam can't let stuff like this go, c'mon.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!