Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Meta is the short hand for metagame. Pretty sure it's just because the origins of the word meta refer to information about thing you're talking about, basically. 

So you can have metadata in IT, which is the data about the data. And the metagame for games is just a way of talking about the data in the game. People who study this and use this information to give them a competetive advantage are referred to as "metagaming" and over time it's just kind of morphed into just "meta" meaning what are the currently understood advantageous methods of playing the game.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Most Effective Tactic Available IIRC.
    Pretty sure thats a backronym.
    Damn, back to square one.

That;s the backronym yep.

Meta is just being used as a shorthand for metagame. Meta means "beyond". The metagame is the game beyond the game or, the game which forms outside the individual matches you play, which is based on the holistic understanding of all the elements of the game available. It's mostly evident in competitive games where knowledge of what the strongest elements of the game are form a secondary game: how do we beat that optimum strategy, and then that tumbles down even further to how do we counter-pick the counter-pick etc. All of that is formed from data outside of the game you are currently playing.

It's is not really all that different from metatext - the requirement of knowledge outside of the singular instance of text you a reading to fully understand it, or a text referring to itself therefore referring to the world outside of its construction.
  • Roujin using the meta tactic of not quoting, allowing for speedier responses.
  • It's OP for speedrunning replies and until they patch it I'll keep using it!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Multiplayer games like Battlefield etc always seem to be the most fun in the couple of weeks after initial release, before every bastard has figured out the metas and counters. Also before the inevitable wave of patches that balance out all the fun wackiness and leave it a boring and symmetrical experience.
  • Most Effective Tactic Available IIRC.
    Pretty sure thats a backronym.
    Damn, back to square one.

There are two similar terms with different meanings for me: the meta-game (something like collection building) and 'the meta' which is the predominant / successful playstyle or character / setup.
  • Oh wow there's a page turn.

I see meta-game and meta as subtly different, I am a maverick tho for sure.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    It goes in at the top of the wall and comes out further down though. I'll try using the existing bell wire to start with.
    I've got a Ring Video doorbell. I just connected it to the original doorbell's wires and it works fine.
    Yeah, the current transformer isn't powerful enough to sort the camera out so I'm replacing the chime and transformer for new.  I did try but the existing transformer made a really weird buzzing sound no matter how I wired it up.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Multiplayer games like Battlefield etc always seem to be the most fun in the couple of weeks after initial release, before every bastard has figured out the metas and counters. Also before the inevitable wave of patches that balance out all the fun wackiness and leave it a boring and symmetrical experience.
    I agree. 
    If it's not game breaking I'd be tempted to leave a degree of asymmetry in a shooter.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So, tomorrow we're gonna exchange a cashier's check for keys to an actual house. It will still be rent, but it has a yard and a garage.

Currently we're living with a roommate in an apartment, and the plan is that he will join us for the house as well. When B brought it up first, it was fine and preparations for the contract etc were made. It's just B and I currently on it.
    Later on they did mention they would need to do a background check for a potential roommate as well.

Now there's the problem, he filed for bankruptcy 8 years ago, and that's an instant red flag and a reason we've been refused before for other places (other times it was me not having anything to my name here). The place we currently live at didn't have a problem with it as we were living in a different apartment before moving to this one, and they trusted us.

B wants to bring it up tomorrow (just mentioning the possibly of a roommate again, and see where it goes from there), but a colleague says wait till you've paid the first rent and then add him to the contract. This would obviously be less ideal for our roommate, as if he gets refused he has less time to find something, and it isn't easy with that bankruptcy.

We could afford the house with just B's new Facebook salary, but splitting costs would definitely be better and we could still save some money / lift the Jeep to ridiculous heights.

Should we bring it up tomorrow or wait with it? It's so annoying that years of steady income / paying rent / decent credit score mean nothing if there's also an old bankruptcy on your name.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If the roommate was the difference between getting it or not, which way would you go? Wood you still want to rent it despite the extra cost, or would you rather look elsewhere? Feels like if the former, you should stay quiet; but if the latter then say it now and find out.

(The former of those is risky for the roommate perhaps, but I don't think unreasonably so. And equally you could say unfair on him to jeopardize your flat if you'd want it anyway...)

Also, didn't know B was at Facebook now! How's that going??
  • Facebook bought Ready At Dawn didn’t they?
  • And that dear Muzzy is how B became employed by FB.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aha
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the input Muzzy. B and I are locked in for the house, contact is signed and we only need to exchange keys for money. So yeah, the roommate isn't gonna make the difference, but would make things a bit better for our financial situation.
    Have to go there and lunch today, we'll see how it goes.

And yep, Reg and Uncle are right. Officially B isn't employed by Facebook yet, as the visa needs to be transferred, but hopefully that won't take too long. All his colleagues got a sign on bonus already, he's still waiting (it's quite a bit of money, that you can't touch for the first year working there, if you stay for a year it's yours. It would definitely help to put my mind at ease a bit more about the house situation).
    Everything's fine for now, way more meetings than I'd like (current apartment only has one main living space, so I can't do much during meetings apart from go away or be quite). Have seen Zuckerberg on chat doing some q&a once at the beginning.
    Will see how it goes, our visa is usually valid for 3 years, but you could quit the job after 2 without needing to pay it back. As long as Trump doesn't decide to kick everyone out. (Our visa is an O-1, which should be pretty safe, hopefully).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How'd it go, Nina?

Meanwhile, I can't find my 3DS X-( where the hell have I put it?!?
  • Kids beds! With things useful things underneath like chest of drawers/desk. Anybody know good places to look?

We like this one but its too wide unfortunately - https://www.cuckooland.com/brand/julian-bowen/julian-bowen-jupiter-midsleeper-bed
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We had a cot that turned into bed. The headboard and footboard were in two sections and the top halves could be taken away so it looked like a small bed when the sides came off. 

That's all I remember. I thought it was a neat idea. No storage though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    How'd it go, Nina?
    Moving in this weekend, incl the roommate. We just mentioned the possibility when we met owner, and a couple days later send him the information from the roommate. He took his chance and increased rent, bit whatever. I can buy Gundams guilt free again.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Kids beds! With things useful things underneath like chest of drawers/desk. Anybody know good places to look? We like this one but its too wide unfortunately - https://www.cuckooland.com/brand/julian-bowen/julian-bowen-jupiter-midsleeper-bed

Ikea have plenty of stuff like that. Not all of their furniture is cheap tat either, they have some great high end products too.
  • As a kid I just had normal bunk beds with planks of wood laid on the bottom bunk to turn it into storage space.
  • Your sibling looks back on this time with less fondness.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hello all - I'm looking to get a replacement wrist strap for my Sony smartwatch 3. I ordered an unofficial one off ebay and the build quality on it was shoddy at best. I'm desperately trying to find an official one - I like the way they sit on my wrist too - but can't seem to find one anywhere, in stockists or ebay. Any help?
  • According to the developer forum it’s been impossible to find official straps since at least 2017.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/smartwatch-3/finding-strap-uk-t3592911

Sound like you’re stuck with third-party.
  • As a last attempt it may be worth emailing customer service. They may not sell them but they might have replacement parts.
  • Maybe get an adapter, then put any sort of standard 24mm watch strap you like on it?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Grumble. Thanks all, I'll look at my options.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Suspect my heart is about to be broken here.

Tried to set up my new smaller crt that we swapped the big boy with my sister. Came on fine and the built in dvd player boot screen was perfect etc.

Started scanning through the static to find the SNES and after a few seconds there were some loud crackles and the screen went black. I've tried turning it on again and the red light to say the power is on is there but the screen staying black.

I've unplugged it just now in the hope it just needs a rest but really...

Is it RIP CRT?
  • Probably cost you a lot more to have it repaired than it would to get another one these days.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!