ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A little torn, and I know I'm gonna miss something fundamental and the Cinty will virtuaslap me in the morning. Order here unimportant, just ten games that you must play if you own a PSP

PSP
    Jeanne D'Arc
    Patapon
    LocoRoco
    MGS: Peacewalker
    Wipeout Pure
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Lumines
    Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins
    echochrome
    God of War:Chains of Olympus

I really wanna find room for Gitaroo Man although the controls weren't the kindest for that game, and also one of the Harvest Moons, but in truth there were plenty of other games that could have made this list, proper underated little beastie was the PSP
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • N64
    1. Banjo Kazooie
    2. Diddy Kong Racing
    3. Goldeneye
    4. Conker
    5. M64
    6. Zelda oot
    7. 1080
    8. Mario Kart 64
    9. Pokemon stadium (them mini games)
    10. Wetrix
  • cockbeard wrote:
    A little torn, and I know I'm gonna miss something fundamental and the Cinty will virtuaslap me in the morning. Order here unimportant, just ten games that you must play if you own a PSP

PSP
    Jeanne D'Arc
    Patapon
    LocoRoco
    MGS: Peacewalker
    Wipeout Pure
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Lumines
    FF Tactics: War of Lions
    echochrome
    God of War:Chains of Olympus

I really wanna find room for Gitaroo Man although the controls weren't the kindest for that game, and also one of the Harvest Moons, but in truth there were plenty of other games that could have made this list, proper underated little beastie was the PSP

You missed Ultimate G&G and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Was Star Control the one with the one on one two player mode? If so, it's still ace.
    Yeah, that was part of it. A sort of strategy space game ported from PC that looked dated even then, but the one on one match ups between the ships just worked so well. Get the tactics right and use each ship's special ability properly and the even the smallest ships could take down the big boys. Very satisfying.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Shit the bed I did, proper failed with GandG, was never a massive Castlevania fan, but i did play that one for a while and quite enjoyed it, reckon I'll drop FF TActics, just really there as there were so many Tactics RPGs on the machine, I suppose Monster Hunter should get a shot as well, but I was too old for pokemon
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Mario games:

Mario 64
    SMB
    SMG
    SMW
    SNES Mario Kart
    SMB 3
    SMG 2
    MK8
    SMB2
    Mario Golf (GC)
  • PSOne:

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Vagrant Story
    3. Castlevania: SotN
    4. Final Fantasy VIII
    5. Final Fantasy IX
    6. Resident Evil 2
    7. Metal Gear Solid
    8. Tomb Raider
    9. Wipeout 2097
    10. Silent Hill
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lists eh? I know they are naff, but I love 'em. They can be a selfish thing as the joy is in their creation. Some people use them as an opportunity to list obscurities to show how much of an elite gamer they are…but that's a risk we have to take. I think brief descriptions add to it, particularly if you list a less well known game…

Anyhoo…I'll make a start with the Repton 5 consoles…and they won't be in any order.

NES
    SMB3 - still one of the finest platformers money can buy. Stands shoulder to shoulder with SMW and has considerably more levels to conquer.
    Solar Jet Man Gravity shooter in the Thrust & Gravitar tradition. This takes the genre to the limits with huge levels, loads of power ups to collect and rock solid physics.
    Balloon Fight Nintendo's take on Joust has more to do and features beautifully realised gravity and friction. Also has the crack-like survival mode that is Balloon Trip thrown in for good measure.
    Dropzone Archer Maclean's Defender update is lightning fast (even in PAL - it's originally coded that way) and looks splendid too.
    RC Pro Am Lovely, fast 3rd person racer.
    Boulderdash NES got a splendid port of this. Probably the "best ever" if truth be known.
    Solomon's Key Solid port of the arcade game. This is a rather clever platform/puzzle game with loads of secrets and bonuses to find.
    Contra aka Probotector Solid run and gun from Konami.
    Ice Climber Vertically scrolling platformer. Early , simple Nintendo design but it's brilliant when you add a second player.
    Punch Out Legendary comic boxing game. One of the few games to ever actually make me laugh.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • SNES
    1. Yoshi's Island
    2. Super Mario Kart
    3. Street Fighter II Turbo
    4. Legend of Zelda: ALttP
    5. Super Mario World
    6. Super Castlevania IV
    7. Killer Instinct
    8. Starfox
    9. Super Metroid
    10. Contra 3/Super Probotector

Mega Drive
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog
    2. Road Rash
    3. EA Hockey
    4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    5. Golden Axe 2
    6. Streets of Rage 1
    7. Castlevania Bloodlines/New Generation
    8. Desert Strike
    9. Rocket Knight Adventures
    10. Mercs

and out of those 20:
    Nintendo 6
    Konami 4
    Sega 4
    EA 3
    Capcom 2
    Rareware 1

I love(d) those companies.

NES top 10 will take some time but will post it up soon along with SMS, PSone and N64. Will do my best on the GB front but I was never really into handhelds until DS/PSP.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SNES - Jesus this is going to be tough..

Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island Two of the best platformers ever bookend the SNES's life. Enough praise has been poured on these but suffice to say they are still highly playable and are choc-full of replay value. Finish them once and then go back to find the 96 exits in SMW and go for 100pts in all the YI levels.
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja Konami had a magic spell on the SNES and this is probably their finest hour on the console. Lovely roam and hunt scenes packed with mini-games give way to tough 2D side on levels leading you to great boss battles. The 2 player mode transforms the game - featuring a hilarious piggy-back move in the 2D sections. Loads of Japanese weirdness and great atmosphere.
    Super Aleste One of the finest STGs of the 16bit generation. Technically speaking this trounces anything the Megadrive has to offer , and I'd argue the PCEngine and even the mighty NeoGeo have problems matching it. This game is sprite city with no slowdown, has the best ever use of Mode 7 (level 2), twelve gorgeous levels, and 4 difficulty levels that crank the challenge up to meet the huge arsenal of weapons at your disposal; each of which have 2 methods of use giving you a mind boggling choice of ways to defeat each level and boss. It's an astounding achievement and rarely does gameplay match the technical excellence - it does here with some change left over.
    Super Castlevania IV Before this series went all Metroid on us, we had this - the best linear entry in the series. Loads of levels, great controls (not matched in its flexibility since) and the music, the best on the SNES , is still impressive today.
    Kirby's Dream Course Ignore the Kirby branding - this is an original crazy golf style of game. You control Kirby as the ball on isometrically viewed courses. The aim is to hit all the enemies from which you can absorb special powers and then drop into the hole that the last enemy standing becomes.  It is a very clever game - every hole can be done in one shot - and it has plenty of courses and a smart, tactical 2 player game. A late release that got ignored.
    Cybernator aka Assault Suits Valken Wonderful mech shooter. The feeling of the weight of the mech is really well done here and the control scheme is rich but instinctive. Loads of atmosphere and the levels are varied.
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Beautiful realisation of Miyamoto's original vision which has been recycled ever since. Ageless graphical design and beautifully paced gameplay with the expanding skills and map. The only Zelda I ever finished and I'd say the only one you need to play. Its genius has been diluted by the later games as great as they are.
    Super Bomberman This may have originated on PC-Engine but this version with its multi-tap support is only surpassed by the all conquering Sega Saturn version but that's only because of the 5-10 player options which aren't exactly practical.
    Pilotwings The flying experience in this game still hasn't been recreated despite a couple of attempts. The graphics are ageing now but the gameplay is intact and the challenges are extremely well thought out. Until a proper sequel comes along this is still a unique game.

No SF2 Turbo - it looks great (still - had this on a projector a while back) and still plays great - but it has been surpassed now.
    No SMK? I don't think its aged all that well. It still plays brilliantly but it looks rough now and can now be overlooked in favour of newer games - the 10 above can't be.
  • Sod it:

N64
    1. Super Mario 64
    2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    3. Goldeneye 007
    4. WCW/nWo Revenge
    5. Wave Race 64
    6. Mario Kart 64
    7. F-Zero X
    8. International Superstar Soccer 98
    9. International Track & Field Summer Games
    10. 1080 Snowboarding

PSone
    1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Resident Evil 2
    3. Driver
    4. Ridge Racer Type 4
    5. Final Fantasy VII
    6. Road Rash
    7. ISS Pro 98
    8. Driver 2
    9. Tekken 3
    10. Gran Turismo

Sega Master System
    1. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    2. Action Fighter
    3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    4. Sonic the Hedgehog
    5. Outrun
    6. Secret Command/Rambo
    7. Rastan
    8. Wonderboy in Monster Land
    9. Rocky
    10. Incredible Crash Dummies

NES will have to wait until tomorrow, probably the hardest one for me to work out tbh.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I'll put Legend of the Mystical Ninja in the Retro Club thread. Never played it properly. I can feel a 16-bit binge coming on.
  • Stop typing lists and get to the CCC. We're discussing lists.
  • PS1:

Final Fantasy VII
    Ridge Racer
    Castlevania: SotN
    Resident Evil 2
    Suikoden
    Front Mission 3
    Edit: Bust-a-Move 2
    Tekken 3
    Tomb Raider
    Metal Gear Solid
    Vandal Hearts
  • PS1
    1) Final Fantasy VII
    2) Silent Hill
    3) Tomb Raider
    4) Metal Gear Solid
    5) Syphon Filter
    6) Tony Hawks Pro Skater
    7) Tombi
    8) ReLoaded
    9) Gran Turismo
    10) Crash Bandicoot
    11) Nightmare Creatures
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Did anyone get FF Tactics on PS1? I was always disappointed it never got a UK release.
  • Crisps
    1. Doritos Chilli Heatwave
    2. Walkers Worcester Sauce
    3. Discos Salt and Vinegar
    4. Frazzles
    5. Skips
    6. Spicy Transformer snack
    7. Walkers Cheese and Onion
    8. Frisps Salt and Vinegar
    9. Prawn cocktail wotsits
    10. Tangy Toms
  • Frazzles is a little high but otherwise acceptable.
    You forgot beef McCoys.
  • Swap out Walkers Cheese and Onion with  1994 Branigans Roast Beef an Mustard  and Prawn Cocktail wotsits for Roast Beef Monster Munch and I'm with you all the way there.

I was going to suggest Burger Bites too but then it starts to get a bit beefy
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Aw God those Roast Beef and Mustard were the best.
  • PS1 no particular order

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Final Fantasy IX
    4. Chrono Cross
    5. Metal Gear Solid
    6. Tomb Raider
    7. Tony Hawk's 2
    8. Resident Evil 2
    9. Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
    10. Resident Evil
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    What are the best recent point and click adventure games?
    The Blackwell Legacy
    Blackwell Unbound
    Blackwell Convergence
    Blackwell Deception
    Blackwell Epiphany

Picked these up in a recent steam sale and they're awesome. Epiphany was released this year, the first four are older and appear in their own bundle.

Excitingly, these are in the current humble bundle. I'd never heard of em before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    N64
    Super Mario 64 Boring choice but it is still unique despite the presence of its offspring. The level design and the control are the highlights and they are still highly enjoyable.
    F-Zero X Balls to the wall racing against 29 aggressive opponents. No other game like it and PS1 and Saturn couldn't have done this. The tracks are great, the boost vs shield trade-off is terrific and the difficulty is just right - GX is too hard for its own good. This is better.
    Mario Tennis The Nintendo design ethic on full show here. Simple pick-up-and play controls have depths for more skilled players. Plenty of content, 4 player support. Just a great game of tennis - took the shine off Virtua Tennis when it arrived.
    Wetrix The N64's power on display. The Saturn and Ps1 wouldn't have been up to this. Excellent water effects and a genuinely new puzzle experience. Good selection of modes keep the interest up and there's brilliant presentation throughout from the graphics and chilled out sound through to the playful menu.
    Tetris 64 An early JPN only release that was overshadowed by the excellent New Tetris. This has a slightly more pedestrian look, and the Voss tunes of New Tetris aren't matched, but this still looks and sounds solid. It's all about gameplay - with 4 player options , a unique garbage system and far more modes on offer with hardcore options like selectable rotation schemes means this is the better game.
    Waverace 64 Stunning water effects that still deliver a great experience underpinned by excellent tracks. Looks simple but it hasn't been surpassed.
    1080 Not as trick heavy as more modern games, the emphasis is on racing here. Excellent tracks and splendid racing action. Simple but engaging supporting modes keep the interest up.
    Doom 64 All new levels that look great and a great cast of enemies. It's old-school Doom but it's all the better for it. Brilliant atmospheric soundtrack.
    Mischief Makers Treasure do platforming. A rich control scheme and unique tweaks to traditional platforming gameplay. Looks pretty good too and plenty of replay ability with gems to search for.
    Mystical Ninja 2 The 2nd Mystical Ninja game on N64 returns to the winning format of the SNES games. The weirdness is turned up to 11 here. Lovely fake 3D look and the great controls allow for some great old-school tough side on platforming. Has an unlockable 4 player mode for those who can finish the game.
  • Where's the pickled onion monster munch, list is bullshit.
  • JonB wrote:
    Did anyone get FF Tactics on PS1? I was always disappointed it never got a UK release.

I was tempted to import. But never did. Gutted I never played the original, I'll pick it up some day. But depends if I can be bothered.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Another vote for Roast Beef and Mustard Brannigans.  I notice Workid said 'were the best' - they still sell them in the newsagents next to my office, along with the acceptable but only half as good ham & pickle variety.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The crisp question:-
    1. Tayto Cheese & Onion
    2. Walkers Max Paprika 
    3. Bacon Fries aka Frazzles
    4. Salt & Vinegar Discos
    5. Smiths Salt 'n' Shake
    6. KP Mini Chips
    7. Tayto Onion Rings
    Brannigans used to do a Gammon and Pineapple which were splendid.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Another vote for Roast Beef and Mustard Brannigans.  I notice Workid said 'were the best' - they still sell them in the newsagents next to my office, along with the acceptable but only half as good ham & pickle variety.

OMG. I'm heading out to find some now.
  • Just quickly then, before bed:

Sega Saturn exclusives.

1. Virtua Fighter 2
    2. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    3. NiGHTS
    4. Guardian Heroes
    5. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    6. Virtua Cop
    7. Sega Rally
    8. Athlete Kings
    9. Shining the Holy Ark
    10. Virtual On

Playstation Exclusives (on 32-bit consoles):

1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Iss Evolution something or other
    4. Resident Evil 2
    5. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    6. Worms Armageddon
    7. Micro Machines V3
    8. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (tough choice between this and the original, but the manual was an excellent addition)
    9. Overboard!
    10.. Everybody's Golf 2

Best multiplat titles:

1. Exhumed
    2. Tomb Raider
    3. Streetfighter Alpha 3
    4. Castlevania SOTN (I guess - I'm only putting this in because it's clearly great, I just haven't played it)
    5. Wipeout 2097
    6. Command & Conquer
    7. Warcraft 2
    8. Return Fire
    9. Silhouette Mirage (probably - it's getting late now so I'm making stuff up)
    10. Resident Evil

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!