Dragon's Dogma
  • Better than Dark Souls/10
  • Yah, this is an actually enjoyable RPG.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I prefer some things about DD to DS i.e. the far more spectacular spellcasting, greater sense of openess and scale, more naturalistic lighting. But they are very different beasts at the end of the day, so I think it's difficult to directly compare them.
  • Agreed, I actually played both games at the same time and regularly switched between the two. It kinda emphasised their differences but in a good way.
  • A better comparison might be between DD and the Elder Scrolls games. I feel like the rolling-with-yer-crew medium size skirmishes thing is the way forward, or a way forward compared to the usual lone hero thing. It's something I really hope to see more of in the future anyway, the increased hardware power is surely enough to allow for better and more numerous AIs.
  • Hopefully, if a sequel does arrive at some point, Capcom will add co-op. Dragon's Dogma missed a trick with that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Deep Down is the spiritual successor isn't it?
  • It seems so, but still unconfirmed for release in the West.
  • Lopped off the head of a Hydra, headed outside, got killed by bandits.

Also recruited a Lvl 132 mage for free. She doesn't seem to be overpowered though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The bandits are a bit of an odd difficulty spike. Not sure what that's about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I used to have this but a bigger boy stole it from me :(
  • The bandits are a bit of an odd difficulty spike. Not sure what that's about.

Yah, they're lethal on the early to mid stages, made playing as a melee class a real chore. 

Can't think of another game that I've given a second chance to and been rewarded so much (by switching playstyles).    Really hope Capcom find it within them to squeeze out a proper next gen sequel.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Lopped off the head of a Hydra, headed outside, got killed by bandits. Also recruited a Lvl 132 mage for free. She doesn't seem to be overpowered though.

That will be a pawn belonging to one of your friends, I didn't realise all the free high level pawns were friend's at first.
  • Ah that makes sense, because there was a much lower level fighter looking dude that cost about 50,000. Do enemies have a variable level based on your average party level maybe? Could explain getting wiped out so easy.

Think I might stick with low level pawns and build them up myself.

Need to suss out how to get better equipment and sell all the useless crap I've picked up too.
  • It's very old skool in that there are certain areas that contain the higher level mobs.  Stray too far into the hinter regions and you'll get trounced by something nasty.

Having said that, bandits almost seem to level with you and remain the toughest foes throughout.

Only your main pawn levels with you.

Loot only gets better as you progress through the (lengthy) main quest.

There is an amazing amount of cookie clutter you can collect, pity the crafting system was never fully realised.
  • Just send all the materials and anything else you aren't going to use to storage. When in the main city you can sell stuff direct from storage to the shops there, and you can also craft using stuff that's in storage. If you have no immediate need of cashola then just stow everything for rainy day.
  • Picked this up on switch
    The Forum Herald™
  • Played it before? If not, be prepared for the most annoying shopkeeper npc repeating looped dialogue in existence.
  • Fuck I should play this again. Hardly put any time into the super duper PC edition.
  • I gave up on the PS3 version at Gran Soren.  Frame rate was appalling.

Adored the PC version.  Steams says I did 160 hours.

The end game dungeon is amazing.
  • I really enjoyed it. 
    Great idea, quite novel, it got a bit janky at times but it was a cracker.
    Going out at night was genuinely scary.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Oh the darkness and danger at night was great. It's funny just how much this game got right that so many other games have either failed utterly at or just not really even tried yet.
  • Nobody tried to replicate the 'pawn' idea because it was shit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Plenty seem to love it.

I really want this. I think I’ll make it my after FFXII game.
    Get schwifty.
  • Pawns are there for carrying your stuff, and buffing your weapons early game when you don’t have any element stuff.

And the darkness was awesome.
  • Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved the game back in the day. It's just that pawns, being mute and interchangable, were no substitute for a proper party of well-fleshed out recruitable NPC's, with character.

I wish they would crack-on with a full blown sequel.
  • Mute? Wish mine were - I really don’t want to be told what wolves are weak to, every 5 minutes :-)

But yeah, they were soulless automatons. I never had a party, just my own for carrying stuff.
  • I like that there wasn't any pretence that they were automatons though, most RPGs with companion characters try to mask the real basicness of the AI by adding all that 'character' to them, but it's a thin veneer of bullshit really. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Both approaches are fine anyway, but I liked how different yet familiar DD was.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fireworks, well!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!