Dragon's Dogma
  • Downloaded this from PS+ and to my surprise it's really good. I'd played a bit of the demo before and I'd let the sometimes janky framerate put me off.

While the game's not without it's faults, the night-time exploration is genuinely eerie and beautiful at times. and fighting some of the larger beasties by torch-light is simply jaw-dropping. Glad I gave this a second chance.
  • I really struggled to get into the expansion but the core game is just fantastic. I think I have 86 hours on the clock and was the best game I played last year. Really need to get back and give the expansion a little more time.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Dark Arisen is fantastic! It ramps up the difficulty quite a bit, making the whole thing a grueling slog down into the darkness. Very satisfying.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    making the whole thing a grueling slog

Sounds like fun.
    Get schwifty.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    In a good way. Lol. Smells a bit like Dark Souls in that respect.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Finally got around to firing tho up from Plus and it's good stuff! Had some rude introductions already to the save system and now save after almost any event. 

I was wondering about the Pawns though. I think I remember seeing that there were some friends list pawns that I could get hold of that were at least 50 levels above my starting point. Aren't they going to just totally game break everything or have I got it wrong? 
    I ended up sticking with some randoms picked form my levels (wish at the time iirc?) but should you stick with one party or keep swapping out for new ones?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Keep swapping as they don't level up with you.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ah ha. I should have guessed when it mentioned that any kit is donated to the owner of the Pawn. Will go hunt some more up to date little buggers then.
  • Pawns = can't be bothered to make interesting npc party characters.  One of the many reasons why I'll never go back to this game.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I've started this twice.  Am I playing a different game?  The thing I'm playing is a slippery, confused mess, with headless chicken NPCs getting in the way every time I'm trying to be a badass fantasy hero.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I also had Dragons Dogma: ADKM Edition
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I also had that version. My favourite part was when all the NPCs were talking at the same time.
  • I'll try it but the first 20 minutes were a bit hack and slash.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I did find that into/tutorial section a bit odd too. Seemed to have a large party of Pawns and not initially a lot of idea about what's going on. Some of the magic dudes seemed to buff you randomly, you have no real idea of your skill sets or how to use your hits and so it all felt a bit hacky, button mashy type affair that the fancy night lighting got me through really. The final boss fight and his climbability that suggested there was a bit more to it kept me in for the first town too. 

Once you get through that to start from absolute scratch, learn the basic moves, go it alone for a bit with your own chara and get the first selection of collect 18 boar testicles quests it felt far more like a large (and pretty.. but crappy draw distance. Roll on next gen please) type MMO mission thing without quite the full MMO actual humans to play with. Pawns seem to flesh out that with handy enough teammates to cure and buff as necessary. 

Very early days for me still but I do like it now I'm getting more into the crafting, enhancing and vocations stuff with some light control of your main Pawn it does look as if I could stick around for a bit. I always like a bit of a grind to get my pointless stats go up by one more point so perhaps it's just a good fit for me.
  • A next gen sequel to this would make me buy a next gen console, for sure. What was evident whilst playing it was the potential. Although I think it was great anyway the potential for something completely epic is there!
  • So I met the Duke (cue long, naff cut-scene) and just did the 'Arousing Suspicion' quest. Not sure how that shizzle passed Q&A. It completely destroys the narrative logic of the game.

Probably not going to continue with it tbh, but I agree that it does show flashes of greatness. A next-gen sequel with online co-op (and some decent writers/quest designers) and it could potentially be amaze.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Really glad I didn't give up on this.  I said I would after starting the Griffin's Bane quest and bumping into a difficulty spike halfway through the quest.  Suddenly my massive hammer (I'm Garl Vinland) was doing bugger all and dearest Astraea couldn't survive more than 5 seconds.  The frustration was also partly my fault for being thick/lazy and not figuring out the fast travel system.
    So I went on the wiki, found some answers, saw the order of things, did a few lower level quests, unlocked some better weapons and switched to Mystic Knight.

Had some great adventures since then just exploring the world, incrementally pushing my portcrystals farther from Gran Soren and creeping through the night in search of friendly encampments.  The nights are flipping amazing and absolutely terrifying by the way.  Feels like a genuine achievement when you've fended off all manner of baddies and beasties and survived to see the sun come up on an unfamiliar landscape.

Now I'm happily bonking things on the head with a spiky bat and spending the nights hunting trolls.  Oh and once I saw a dragon and I ran away because it had about seven health bars.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'm still balls deep in this too Dubs. Having to take it slow as time often doesn't permit but I've only just come off the back of yet another huge quest involving massive day long treks all over the shop, huge beasties of al manner to hunt and clamber all over with a light bit of cross dressing in the middle… I do love me a bit of the trusty Japanese madness now and again. 
    Great stuff so fa but I'm thinking of swapping out my Strider (I think?) for a more brutal traditional English Ranger Longbowman. L33t Snipe3 to help out the Pawns...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ Dubs - Do you have Dark Arisen? You'd definitely like it because it has a Dark Souls vibe in-so-much that you are forever delving deeper into the darkness, and the difficulty ramps up the further down you go.

Some utterly fantastic scenarios and battles, a lot of which require actual planning in your Pawn selection (i.e. the cramped, confined tunnel systems render casters pretty much useless as they get trounced before they're able get a spell off).

Hmm! I reckon i might boot it up later, see where i'm at. I know DA requires multiple runs if you're after the very best loot.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yep, got it from PS+ which is the Dark Arisen version.  Went there at the start of the game because the notification was annoying.  First enemy was a wolf, "pfft, I can take these" I thought, right before he mauled my whole party.  Looking forward to returning, I'll have to get a full Demon's/Dark Souls-themed party together for it.

Hanging around The Abbey waiting for nightfall at the moment.  Need to pull some ogre teeth.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Just cleared out some dirty gert pervy Ogre type from a Quarry cavern that had a predilection for any females in the party. Seemed to just beast it towards the whiff of the fairer sex and proceed to grab em, sniff em in a lengthy and disturbing way then finally proceed to eat 'em. Heheh Genius… 

He simply couldn't resist my main pawn Mage that is wearing a not too sexy Scholars Coat but decidedly more frisky silk thong with just some booties… It's not quite the best armour set I can get for her just at the minute but.. err. .. I'm waiting for some bits to enhance it. Probably…   

I really should probably get around to some kind of story quest stuff but am currently just wandering about and doing convoluted side quest type things. Lovely stuff.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Yep, got it from PS+ which is the Dark Arisen version.  Went there at the start of the game because the notification was annoying.  First enemy was a wolf, "pfft, I can take these" I thought, right before he mauled my whole party.  Looking forward to returning, I'll have to get a full Demon's/Dark Souls-themed party together for it. Hanging around The Abbey waiting for nightfall at the moment.  Need to pull some ogre teeth.

You'll probably wanna clear the main story before attempting Dark Arisen, cause it's tough as nails and you'll wanna be leveled and proper tooled up.
  • Just started playing this properly and bugger me, the bandits are really tough.

The warrior type ones are a copy of the red eyed knight in DS, with their thrusting 3 attacks stun locking with each hit.

I eventually just ran past them on the way to the forest because my pawns died very quickly if I tried to fight.
  • Got Dark Arisen on shopto for around a tenner, playing it through now! Forgot how playable this game is!
  • So I picked up Gothic 4 and Risen 2 recently and realised they were shit so decided to give this another go.

Playin' mage as I didn't get on with the melee system at all last time out.  It still delights and frustrates in equal measures, but I'd love to see a next-gen sequel.  Unlikely now that Capcom has put all its hydra's heads in one basket with Deep Down.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Started playing this this morning.

Good so far, but I'm only about twenty minutes in.

The climbing on the Chimera and Dragon at the start are making me want to see what all the fuss is about SotC too.
  • Its worth trawling a few FAQs to figure out the fast travel system and how to climb bosses.

For instance, I've only now just figured out after played for countless hours that you push the left thumbstick forward to 'scale' the creature after the initial jump and grab move.

The lack of hand holding on this and many other issues can infuriate at times, but it's worth sticking with!
  • I think you don't have to hold the grab button to stay attached to the creatures, remember to jump off before your stamina runs out though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!