Dragon's Dogma
  • That seems like the worst of it to me.

From what I can gather reading reviews, if you were to spunk money on loads of fast travel and re-rolling pawns you'd miss the point of the game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep, it's not killing it for me, but I can also see why it comes across really badly. People don't want to feel like they are being gouged, you'd think companies would learn. And if it is the point of the game then just don't add the option to pay your way around design decisions.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ach we're only a stone's throw away from monetising continues, like in those shit mobile games.
  • Oh yeah, not justifying it. Just working out how much it would matter to me if I got the game.

Also will be interesting to know why reviewers haven't said anything.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Sneaking micro transactions in on launch day on a €65 single player games just sums things up for me. What a complete shambles this industry has been the past few years. I haven't missed being actively involved one single bit.  

Disgrace.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Sneaking micro transactions in on launch day on a €65 single player games just sums things up for me. What a complete shambles this industry has been the past few years. I haven't missed being actively involved one single bit.  

Disgrace.
  • Forum fart dp
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's always something for the howling at the moon brigade to be upset about
  • They probably had to pay 50p to speed up the day/night cycle.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'd rather howl at the moon than lube up, bend over and let devs slam me. More fun, to begin with. Depends on how ya swing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In what way are the devs slamming you?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anally
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You know what I mean
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They're not as I'm not buying it but I love to froth, middle aged now, stops the right wing tendencies kicking in
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    For argument's sake let's say you did buy it. In what way are the devs slamming you?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    By putting micro transactions in a single player game? By designing the fast travel system to be tedious - but wait, you can buy items in the shop to help with that. How marvelous. 
    ;)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm a staunch believer in stuff available via microtransaction, if non-cosmetic, should be freely available in game also. It is in game but is rare. SP, MP, progression or mechanic should not be locked, no matter how small the blockage is, behind a pay wall. Even if it's 50p.

I'm also very weak and would buy them so am slammed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why shouldn't a single player game have micro transactions? They've been in Capcom games for as long as I can remember. Easy enough to just not buy them, isn't it?

The fast travel system is designed to make you traverse and explore the map, which is what the game is about. Same with the first one
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Performance is ok so far, getting between 50 and 70 fps, it is making me look at CPUs though ;-)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm a staunch believer in stuff available via microtransaction, if non-cosmetic, should be freely available in game also. It is in game but is rare. SP, MP, progression or mechanic should not be locked, no matter how small the blockage is, behind a pay wall. Even if it's 50p.

I'm also very weak and would buy them so am slammed.

You got plenty of the fast travel stones in the first one, so I'd assume that the same applies here. One extra stone isn't going to make a big difference either way
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Because its a slippery slope and the more they pump in and profit from, the more appear. The more the main game itself gets affected. The more and more it becomes cash grabs on top of cash grabs.

It's been a aeedy cunt practice for a long time but eh its rhe norm don't spend etc. I've posted about my issues with such things, primarily Fifa, before. If you csn ignore them, grand. My tendencies and problems with addiction just lead to me inevitably buying such shit for fear of missing out, and it's those kinda minds it prays on.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's not even that there are micro transactions, I tend not to buy them myself. It's just weird that no one mentioned it in the reviews, even the site that broke the story about the transactions, then oh our reviewer didn't read that bit, can't believe that no reviewer read the review guide. Definitely smacks of the industry wanting people to like and buy this but not educate customers as to what they may or may not want to consider.
  • Ive watched the Luke Stephenson review, read the Eurogamer review along with the Polygon review in progress thing that is 90% a review.
    All had very, very clear places to mention these microtransactions and none did.

All three would normally do so. There is something going on.

It might just be that absolutely nobody reads review notes, or that Editor is wrong or got different notes, but there are even clues in the Deluxe Edition contents which I assume didnt just appear on launch day.
    For example the Explorers camping gear is in the Deluxe Edition and states that once bought irl it opens up the options to buy further of them from the in game shops with in game money.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    paul be paulin’ xoxox
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    paul be paulin’ xoxox

Fuck off with that shite
  • Because its a slippery slope and the more they pump in and profit from, the more appear. The more the main game itself gets affected. The more and more it becomes cash grabs on top of cash grabs.

It's been a aeedy cunt practice for a long time but eh its rhe norm don't spend etc. I've posted about my issues with such things, primarily Fifa, before. If you csn ignore them, grand. My tendencies and problems with addiction just lead to me inevitably buying such shit for fear of missing out, and it's those kinda minds it prays on.

Exactly this. It's gross as fuck tbh.
  • I actually find myself agreeing with Sparky on a few points here.
    It's inevitable that this type of micro transaction shite is going to occur but in this instance it seems easy enough to avoid and it doesn't break the game or "pay to win".

The whole design of the game is about that long traversal journey, the reviews I've read talk about how the journey on foot is a big part of the experience and that fast travel items are there but rare. This appears to be a design choice to encourage players to experience the game the way it's intended.
    However if you wanna pay extra to buy these items because you don't like that design choice, here ya go.

Personally I don't see any issues with that.
    Play the game, ignore the transactional bollocks unless you really don't like the journeys. In which case perhaps this game isn't for you
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If they want to let people experience the game the way each one wants, then just let them. Charging them to play how they want seems shitty. I mean if my preference is fast travel then I have to pay whereas someone who doesn't like that way can play with no extra charge.
  • Would have been a better idea to completely remove all fast travel, then, rather than keep it in as a paid option. I can't really remember how the first game worked, i think fast travel was limited but then you unlocked an everstone or something that allowed unlimited fast travel.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There seems to be a single player bad, multiplayer acceptable argument here even though it's multiplayer games where these things are giving people an advantage over others who don't pay.

Personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck if people want an extra fast travel crystal in their single player game for a few quid. Doesn't matter to me at all. Impossible for me to summon the rage about it. Some cunt loading into CoD DMZ with a UAV in the back pocket which they've bought with real money? Down with that sort of thing.

I'm not really seeing the slippery slope stuff either. These things have been around since Oblivion horse armour. If they were going to destroy video games they'd have done so by now. This game is not a tick on the doomsday clock, get a grip on reality.

What is weird is people having a pop at me because I'm not going with the pearl clutching and outraged flow

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!