Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    Would have been a better idea to completely remove all fast travel, then, rather than keep it in as a paid option. I can't really remember how the first game worked, i think fast travel was limited but then you unlocked an everstone or something that allowed unlimited fast travel.

In the first game you got stones you could place anywhere and fast travel to. I think the ferry stones needed to actually travel to them had to be bought with in game currency, but they added an eternal ferry stone with the Dark Arisen DLC
  • The decision to charge for such items will come from the publishing wing of Capcom.

The developers seemed to have set out to make a game that discourages fast travel. That's the way to play this really regardless of preference. I'm generally a fast traveller but if/when I get this I won't be doing so even if they make it free. Sometimes it's good to have options, others it undermines the core design philosophy.

There was probably some notes from hands on events and previews where the lack of fast travel was raised and the publishing department saw an opportunity.

All that said the very least pubs/Devs can do is be transparent about these things. For the likes of DS who struggles with control over microtransactions it will suck that they have to miss out on this game but at least they have that information up front. There is something up with these reviews that nobody is talking about microtransactions even when the context is there to do so.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    If they want to let people experience the game the way each one wants, then just let them. Charging them to play how they want seems shitty. I mean if my preference is fast travel then I have to pay whereas someone who doesn't like that way can play with no extra charge.

Fast travel is in the game, but you'll need to travel to each location first and drop off a stone to set it up. They're only selling one, singular, of these stones to people who want it. It's up to you whether you can live with like 7 fast travel bus stops or pay a few quid for the transcendent experience of an 8th.

Like absolutely everything these days, a mountain is being made out of a molehill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just reading up on it and in the first game they set a maximum number of port crystals that can be placed on the map. They carried over into NG+ where you could pick up the same ones again, but obviously couldn't place them all. So if you buy one here you're probably giving yourself a temporary leg up
  • If the stone purchasing really is capped at one (1) for the entire game - and they're also in the game to find/purchase with in-game currency too - that's definitely not as dastardly as I thought.
  • Not quite that simple.

According to the PS Store you can only set up 10 of them, including the ones available in game. That to me suggests you can buy 10 and bin the in game ones. Presumably if you want them earlier than you can find/buy them in game.

edit: from the Kotaku review
    Even rarer are “portcrystals,” which let players create fast-travel points of their own. Across my entire playthrough, I found three.
     PS Store
    Note: The base game is required to use the items in this set. Please make sure you have updated to the latest version.

Obtain a Portcrystal, which can be set at a destination of your choice. Use a Ferrystone to instantly transport your party to the Portcrystal's location.

Note: This item cannot be gifted to other online players.
    After purchase, the content will appear in your in-game storage after staying at an inn. Speak to an innkeeper to view your storage.
    This item is also obtainable in-game.
    Ferrystone is obtainable in-game.
    There is a limit to how many Portcrystals you can place in-game. You can set up to 10 Portcrystals including those that are obtainable in-game.

There are other times that are single use but infinite purchase as well like Wakestones.

Put it this way. If people werent going to buy them Capcom wouldnt bother putting them up for sale.
  • David jaffe says this is a whole new level of scumbag.
    https://youtu.be/8YOvP3nJ43I?si=qlnrSiBFFLj-wgfB

Apparently you can't delete save files to restart either if you delete your save its replaced with your cloud save.
    You have to pay for a new character if you want to start again.
  • digi wrote:
    David jaffe says this is a whole new level of scumbag.
    https://youtu.be/8YOvP3nJ43I?si=qlnrSiBFFLj-wgfB

Apparently you can't delete save files to restart either if you delete your save its replaced with your cloud save.
    You have to pay for a new character if you want to start again.

Ok that's pretty shitty.
    I remember this being an issue with MGSV. I wanted to start all over again but it wouldn't let me me start a new character.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm flip flopping to the DWTSOT camp again. How long will it take me to travel back?
  • From reviews, its a bit of a trek and if you want to go anywhere at night its pure death.

However! I do think its designed to not use fast travel. Discovery is important, there arent map icons for everything and if you fast travel everywhere you are going to miss everything of interest.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jaffe has literally nailed what I said from the outset. It's not whether this stuff exists, it's the fact that they snuck it in on the day of release. I'm still playing it, but they are coming across a really scummy now. I missed that bit about not being able to change your character without paying.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You can change your character with in game currency
  • b0r1s wrote:
    It's not even that there are micro transactions, I tend not to buy them myself. It's just weird that no one mentioned it in the reviews, even the site that broke the story about the transactions, then oh our reviewer didn't read that bit, can't believe that no reviewer read the review guide. Definitely smacks of the industry wanting people to like and buy this but not educate customers as to what they may or may not want to consider.
    To give you some insight, I looked at that list of microtransactions when I got the game code, didn't see anything untoward about it, and never thought about it again. Honestly, it never occurred to me 20+ hours in when I was starting to think the fast travel options were a bit too sparse this time to go back and look at that list. So you can put it down to a lack of attentiveness, perhaps.

I do think it's a bit dodgy, but also you can only buy one of the things, which isn't exactly going to be a game changer. What concerns me more is that the whole economy in the game leans towards the expensive side, so I hope they don't start selling off sacks of gold coins in the store to compensate. I don't recall how much a ferrystone cost in the original, but 10K a pop here for a single journey seems very steep.

Anyway, here's my review:
    https://www.gamesradar.com/dragons-dogma-2-review/
  • My mate’s mother’s boyfriend met a guy who knew someone who cleaned the offices of a satellite Capcom studio helping on some lighting tech who said that you have to pay for the game. Madness!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @JonB - good review as always. Interestingly, you mention convenience as something that people will want more of, so perhaps their strategy is to make the game stingy and people pay for a bigger bag or whatever to alleviate some of the inconvenience. Oh well, off to shoot some goblins.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DID YOU KNOW?

That there are oxcarts between settlements at the very reasonable price of 200g?

David Jaffe didn't
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Here's Kasuga the Archer... couldn't quite get his nose or mouth right.

20240322140908-1.jpg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is that your Arisen?

You don't want to see Frantic's. Very NSFW
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. He needs some trendy leather armour.
  • I thought it was just a case that you would have to pay real world monies if you wanted to remodel your character in the character creator?  But are we now saying we can't start a New Game unless we pay for it?   (sorry I can't access that video above)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    I thought it was just a case that you would have to pay real world monies if you wanted to remodel your character in the character creator?  But are we now saying we can't start a New Game unless we pay for it?   (sorry I can't access that video above)

No, that's the latest Yakuza (unless you buy the proper expensive edition or pay like a tenner). I mentioned it in that thread and was ignored.

General Internet response was "nobody does ng+ in a yakuza hahaha who cares shut up".
  • New Game+ on YakLAD is proper shitty.

I believe Blocks is correct though. If you want to start a clean, new game on this you cant, or possibly can but its a microtransaction.
    Moving the save file out of the folder on PC wont work either, it will load from Capcom's server.

(watching Elajjaz play now and that seems to be what he was saying)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah yeah, you can't delete any characters, that's true. Unless you pay. Even if you play offline entirely. Second you start a game, save cannot be removed.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Seems you can on PC which involves turning off cloud saves and manually deleting two local saves. Want 2 characters at the same time? Lolm8
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm never going to change anyway and have only played a handful of big games twice, so this is not a concern, plus who would play anything else other than super archer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You couldn't have more than one character in the first either.

You can change everything about them with in game stuff, no need to buy anything with real money, so again I'm struggling for a fuck to give about this.

I'm up to 5 ferry stones now, found them having just popped to a mine and back. No port crystals yet
  • Surely people should be able to start a fresh new game if they want though? Its hardly a big ask. Its the absolute default scenario.
  • So for those struggling to keep up, such as myself, you can alter all the attributes/chin strength/bum hair length of your character without paying actual real world money for the privilege, but you can't start a fresh game with like none of the map explored etc? With regards to the latter - can you pay actual money to do this, or is it just not possible?
  • Also, couldn't you just play it on a different local profile instead? I've got two on my PS5/Switch and Tilly's has separate saves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!