Hey Bats, go easy on him hmmm? For me?
  • As long as gameplay isn't affected, I personally couldn't care less.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blimey, I think I like the look of the originals throughout most of that comparison video.
  • Generational leaps are getting smaller, but it's a bit of a shame half-arsed remasters are now a thing.  They can't even pull the old Disney trick of pretending the originals look like someone left an unboxed VHS on a damp speaker, because Digital Foundry exposes all.
  • I mostly enjoyed Arkham Knight though it had some big problems. The biggest for me was the way the batmobile changed the tone of the game. It was mostly OK but there were some ridiculous difficulty spikes, especially with the side missions. The story was pretty decent and the combat was still fun. I don't think it was nearly as accomplished a package as City was. A big failure was how empty the city seemed. I'm not expecting Rockstar levels of interaction but give me something for pity's sake. I will say however that I liked Origins less, not least for the mess of a story and an inferior rehashed city. It was a piss poor origin for Batman and featured none of the interesting starting from the bottom stories that the comics have explored.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I don't disagree, but the city feels empty because it was evacuated IIRC. Or at least that's what the story said to justify the lack of inhabitants.
  • I think they did a slightly better job than Origins did for explaining why there were no people, but it still felt like an excuse for not wanting to deal with how adding people would complicate gameplay.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I want a living, breathing Gotham. Bank heists with hostages, society balls hosted by Bruce Wayne that get gatecrashed by Two-face and his goons. None of this locked down, evacuated city, all in one night jazz that we've had since City. It worked with Asylum though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I enjoyed Knight overall, but I found the combat a bit annoying. I liked being able to build up my combos and destroy all of the enemies' weapons in the earlier games, I thought it was a shame that so many could only be dropped rather than destroyed.
  • I mention this every time it comes up, but the implementation of the batmobile wasn't a problem for me in Knight - in some ways it elevated the gameplay above its predecessors as I thought the regular tank battles were slightly retro-ish and fun.  My main problems were the lack of bosses, how underused some of the best gadgets were, adkm's Dracula-float combat gripe and the fact that it moved further away from the room clear-up feel of Asylum, which remains my favourite.  It was fun while it lasted and I'd still describe it as good game, but I was definitely disappointed.
  • monkey wrote:
    I want a living, breathing Gotham. Bank heists with hostages, society balls hosted by Bruce Wayne that get gatecrashed by Two-face and his goons. None of this locked down, evacuated city, all in one night jazz that we've had since City. It worked with Asylum though.
    I agree. The bank heists were probably my favourite part of Knight. Some fun stuff.
  • Why does batman have to fight the entire cast of villains in every game? Not a single game or movie has ever really utilised the "world's greatest detective" angle to its fullest.
    Personally hated the batmobile aspects. Asylum is the strongest of the games very metriod-ish imo. Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady and the only batman game I didn't complete. The city was ridiculously empty.
  • Got an hour into Arkham Knight, did a riddler batmobile mission. Hated it. Deleted the game.

That is all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It gets a bit better as long as you strictly follow only the story missions. The tank battles are fucking tedium ad naseum.
  • Kow wrote:
    It gets a bit better as long as you strictly follow only the story missions. The tank battles are fucking tedium ad naseum.

If I reinstall it and it’s still shit I’m coming for you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It also outstays its welcome by about 30 percent as well. And most of the boss battles are terrible. Um...
  • Don’t bother with it. Shit tier of the toppers of all levels. Total and utter bobbins with no sense of cohesive world building. An absolute mess.
  • Yeah me too. I wasn't crazy about it first time through. I was quite disappointed - didn't hate it though. But on subsequent playthroughs I grew to really like it a lot. Once I got the hang of the Batmobile stuff, the game clicked for me. Only complaint is the character of the Arkham Knight. But Scarecrow makes for a brilliant villain so it kind of balanced out.
  • It's not a bad game, but it's the worst of the Rocksteady Trilogy.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I liked it

This. And...

It's not a bad game, but it's the worst of the Rocksteady Trilogy.

This too.

It's not bad, but everything feels a bit off. It's like they added way too much sugar into the mix. Everything is more more more but not necessarily better. I did enjoy it, but it's the only one I haven't replayed. Several times.

SFV - reddave360
  • The stealth bits of Knight are the best in the series. The rest is toss. I spent most of the first one thinking how great it will be in the sequel when they go into Gotham. Then they did and it wasn’t. The second one had its moments tbf.
  • Asylum is definitely the best of the three.
  • Asylum is definitely the best of the three.

Yeah, except for City. That's really the best one.

SFV - reddave360
  • Asylum was my favourite. Very focused and most metrovania like.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Asylum was my favourite. Very focused and most metrovania like.

It's great, just don't think it's best. City improves in just about every aspect. The only thing that I'd conceded is the sprawl of it but that's the payoff when you go a bigger scale. And on subsequent play through, the sprawl becomes irrelevant as you zoom from place to place.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Hard to choose between the two but I think City just tips it.
    Asylum had some issues towards the end when every battle just ended up the same routine of leaping over the big guy, the final boss included.

City developed some of the combat further, loved the gliding around as well. Loads more Easter eggs hidden around the place. Riddler more fleshed out. Catwoman bits.

Asylum is the first so gets points there automatically. Other than that it is just a couple of stand out bosses and the Scarecrow bits, especially the fourth wall breaking bit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    City is a game of the decade for me. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
  • Asylum for me, I like confined spaces and the Metroidvania/trad 3D Zelda new item/new area thing appealed.  

Knight was fine if you hopped between the main story triggers, but there weren't enough proper bosses and I thought the fighting felt a bit flimsier. 

I liked the Bat Tank though. 
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Asylum, obviously.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    City for me too, overall. Although the bits of Asylum mentioned were top tier.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!