Returnal - on PC now
  • Good luck, elf.

Oh shit. Oh shit. What is that fucker waiting for me…
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Can I assume "astronaut" is something to do with the opening sequence of the game? Could someone just explain what that is, spoilers and all?
    In this case it's an item that instantly revives you where you are once on death.

In terms of the narrative, it's... complicated.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Can I assume "astronaut" is something to do with the opening sequence of the game? Could someone just explain what that is, spoilers and all?

There’s 2 or 3 items you can pick up in the game that are described as not wanting to let go of you - they’re basically extra lives.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Loving these updates (except Pea of course) and well done Wario. That feeling of elation and relief at the end is so good. But yes more to do and discover.
  • Badly needed some silphium. So I come across a malignant one and what happens? I want to clean it with ether but press wrong button and pick it up. Already had 2 malfunctions that some fucker of an enemy just gave me so my string-blade artefact got destroyed. Great.
  • Aaaaaand… credits rolled. Didn’t die at all in last area. What a game! Thoughts later.

20 deaths
    40 hours!!! I know I took my sweet time, but that seems high. At least an hour I somehow left it unpaused, maybe it was more/longer. 

Didn’t get any trophies for max weapon proficiency and also for last boss and clearing game… is it bugged?!
  • Right, read up on missing trophies. So I have to delete my save file and play from scratch if I want my missing story trophies. Fuck. That. Shit.
  • Inches again from finishing boss two. Should have used the health instead of relying on the ether regen n
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Aaaaaand… credits rolled. Didn’t die at all in last area. What a game! Thoughts later.

Nice work, elf.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice one Elf that’s a great stat on the low number of deaths I was more than double that. And I fucking hated biome 6 right towards the end. Those last two pre-boss rooms took all my effort to get through.
  • ...and I'm back in love with this again.

I gave it a "one last go" run yesterday having been sulking since it crashed.  Approached the third boss with a different gun and suddenly found it easy.
    Spoiler:
    I then waltzed straight through Biome 4 and took out the fourth boss on the same run.  Something tells me I'm going to be in Biome 5 for a while though. (I didn't get near the boss)

In the meantime, without going into too much detail, some of the narrative stuff that's popped up along the way has more than justified my patience. Great stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm at the point where I don't believe there's more than one biome.
  • regmcfly wrote:

This entire thread us making shit up just to troll you. Sorry bud.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    How we laughed. My favourite was the lava biome... great boss that.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I felt like that for quite a while.  (As I said before, I'm averaging 12 hours per boss, which makes me feel mildly embarrassed when I see other people's run times, but also that I'm getting my 60 quid's worth out of it.)

It does get easier, and I don't really know why.  What little the game gives you shouldn't make a massive difference, but it does. The first biome went from "this is completely impossible" to "I'll just whizz round here and pick up a few treats before moving on". Part of it is just knowing the enemies, and getting into the rhythm of it, and part of it is that the stuff you unlock makes subtle differences to how manageable it all becomes.

I definitely enjoyed it best when I stopped worrying about progress and just relished the PewPew - and that's often when I did best too.  However I'll also admit there have been several times when I've just declared to no-one in particular that "I'm giving up on it for real this time" - and that keeping going at the sluggish rate that I am is quite possibly a form of madness.
  • b0r1s wrote:

The level set in the clouds was so gorgeous.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

I must admit, I felt pulled out of the game a little when I first saw the Circus themed biome.  (It was worth it for the Severed Clown boss though).
  • tin_robot wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

I must admit, I felt pulled out of the game a little when I first saw the Circus themed biome.  (It was worth it for the Severed Clown boss though).

You were pulled out of the game by the circus theme, but not by the constant shilling of the season pass as soon as you beat the first boss? Destiny had a lot to answer for...
  • Now that a couple more people have completed it, will look at sorting the start of some Weekly Runs this week. Will pick a day for the Daily Run and try to do an update to the OP with deets. Will let everyone know once it's sorted. Please stay tuned for PEW PEW.
  • Dreadbound, eh? Decided to pick it up. Fuck me, it’s hard work. Specially when there are flying enemies aplenty floating around! Made small work of the quadrupeds though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah I tried it yesterday and died on a Scout avenge fight due to bullets not coming back quick enough when you miss. Definitely encourages you to get up close and mix it up.

Seeing a lot more scouts now. Fought 4 in one run before the aforementioned death.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dreadbound, eh? Decided to pick it up. Fuck me, it’s hard work. Specially when there are flying enemies aplenty floating around! Made small work of the quadrupeds though.

Yeah, Dreadbound is a tricky one to use and I like it, though I'm not great with it. As b0r1s said, it's deffo sth that needs you to get close to the monster and, if you're comfortable sticking quite tightly to enemies, it can do a fair bit of damage. My issue with it is mainly that it's really awkward in certain situations or against certain enemy types, and I'm never sure how worth it is to take that risk when I couls run sth like a hollowseeker, pistol or carbine that matches up solidly against pretty much everything.
  • And for those that aren't aware, there is a save system coming, but no ETA yet. For those that find the length of each run a dealbreaker if you can't quit the game (which is fair), they might wanna hold on a bit.
  • So the game stops messing about once
    Spoiler:
  • There’s a trick to beating those:
    Spoiler:
  • Ooh the daily challenge is with a gun that I’ve not unlocked yet in the main game! And it’s not that bad. Charge it up and it does some mega fucking damage! Slow and only 3 ammo though. 

Also. I died. Quickly. I’m near the bottom of the rankings, go me!
  • Also also completely different setup/set of traps in biome 3 now. It was… challenging.
  • Through to Biome 6.  Thought I was doing well, then...
    Spoiler:
    And it all went very badly wrong quite quickly.  Still, definitely faster progress than before. Who knows, I may actually finish this one day...
  • I just watched a 6 minute speed run from biome 3 to end…
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @tin_robot I absolutely hated getting to the boss on Biome 6.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!