b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Pew pew
  • 1,011,788. 75th.  Happy to be in the top 100 for a minute!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nice work, Wario!

Current challenge is:

Biome: Ruins
    Modifiers: lifesaver (one auto res), corruption (damage when picking up items) and reduced protection (protection down 30%)
    Weapon: Thermo Launcher
    Traits: full auto, obolite magnet and replicating hits
  • My score 553,747 - world 310.

Gotta be honest, am rusty AF. Will try harder tomorrow. Still, Wario currently in the lead.
  • Currently:

Wario - 1,011,788. 75th
    Me - 553,747 - 310th
  • I expect to do worse than you
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I expect to do worse than you

• Naw - was very sloppy and very rough. Shame as the weapon and biome are bangers. Just don’t do what I did and pick up items...

Edit:

Unless Reg takes part, I expect to be last.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Score - 875257
    Rank - 165

Very disappointed. Went for the key to get the secret room which wasn’t worth it. I was on a 25x multiplier could easily have got over 1 mil but reset to 6x at the end. Bugger.
  • Hah I did worse than Cinty. 

Rank 497

It’s the first time I’ve done a proper daily. Guess I need to not get hit. And are melee kills worth more? Could’ve melee killed almost every enemy (mostly wolves on this daily) but I didn’t. :(

Does the key count as an item? Cos I didn’t pick it up.
  • I had a quick go:

Rank 489.

I got the key and regretted it. In keeping with the good ol' Returnal "do you risk it or not?" theme though I guess.  (especially as whenever I take a risk in this I usually regret it!)
  • Meanwhile...  I've finally reached the credits!

I'm really pleased.  I have to say, the second half of the game felt significantly easier than the first - perhaps because I'd already been through the loop so many times I'd literally unlocked everything.  The final boss went down on the first attempt, much as the fourth did - so I'm relieved to say I'm no longer averaging 12 hours per biome.

None the less it took me over a total of 2 days to do it, with 49 deaths.  (Not sure if any of the daily challenges contribute to the hours tally - if not I've spent even longer, and died even more)

There's also clearly more to go.

Still, I've absolutely loved playing this.  It's the first game in ages that genuinely felt like "play" rather than a series of tasks to complete.  Equally, whilst I appreciate it's an entirely trivial thing, as someone with a very low tolerance of any kind of personal "failure" it's been genuinely therapeutic to play through something that has repeatedly kicked my arse, yet has held my affection enough for me to push through all that and wind up feeling ever so slightly better about myself as a result.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who has gently encouraged me, and others, to keep at it. It was, indeed, worth it.

(Reg - if I can do it...)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice one Tin. The pew pew just keeps you going to the end.
  • Good stuff! Really is a great game, isn’t it?
  • Wednesday results:

Wario - 1,011,788. 75th
    b0r1s - 875,257 - 165th 
    Tin - 563,108 - 489th 
    Me - 553,747 - 310th
    Elf - 551,360 - 497th 

So, a few things:

1. Wario leads the way with a not at all shabby 1m+ score, the only person to break that barrier. Congrats to him. Anyone looking to be the PEWMASTER for this week needs to turn up and beat his score today (thursday)

2. Happy with turnout (thanks y'all <3) - expect it'll go up and down week by week, but hopefully we can make this regular-ish. Doing a single biome run is actually pretty speedy, so i was able to smash my run out after dinner before the wife claimed the TV. Hopefully this helps keep the weekly challenge as a low commitment thing.

3. The score vs rank issue. Tin beat my score but he's ranked lower than me. This is, as I suspected, due to timezones. I'll play the challenge earlier in the day to him and so i'll naturally be higher up the rankings. I'll check after work tonight for my Thursday run whether previous day rankings are visible. If so, maybe we can use rankings. But, for now, it looks like it's going to have to be Day 1 score vs Day 2 score, even if some runs naturally give more points.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Meanwhile...  I've finally reached the credits! I'm really pleased.  I have to say, the second half of the game felt significantly easier than the first - perhaps because I'd already been through the loop so many times I'd literally unlocked everything.

Congrats, Tin!

I'd agree the 2nd half of the game feels easier, with the exception of Biome 5 which I did find tricky. I don't think the areas are easier, it's more that you've suffered and pushed through and once you overcome those roadblocks you're pretty much set to handle whatever the game throws at you.

tin_robot wrote:
    The final boss went down on the first attempt, much as the fourth did - so I'm relieved to say I'm no longer averaging 12 hours per biome.

Heh, both were first timers for me (and i imagine some others) too. They're more spectacle and the general flow i've noticed is the first couple of bosses being the real bastards and after that people seem ok (with 3rd down on 2nd attempt). 
    tin_robot wrote:
    None the less it took me over a total of 2 days to do it, with 49 deaths.  There's also clearly more to go.

Again, those aren't bad numbers at all, even if you say you're someone who struggles with these games. You smashed it, yo!
    tin_robot wrote:
    Still, I've absolutely loved playing this.  It's the first game in ages that genuinely felt like "play" rather than a series of tasks to complete.  Equally, whilst I appreciate it's an entirely trivial thing, as someone with a very low tolerance of any kind of personal "failure" it's been genuinely therapeutic to play through something that has repeatedly kicked my arse, yet has held my affection enough for me to push through all that and wind up feeling ever so slightly better about myself as a result.

This is the kicker for me. It really is just so fun to play, and I agree with you 100%. Since this game i've been on a Housemarque binge - Nex Machina solo, Alienation co-op with Shabby - and their games all feel perfect. It's a tough game, for sure, but it's not punitive. It wants you to overcome obstacles and fight and get better, but it's not interested in kicking you when you're down. It's a brave game, and a fucking weird game to have as a AAA console exclusive, but I absolutely love it. And yeah, there's no tasks to complete, no bloat, just incredible gameplay, sound and visual design, wrapped up in a genuinely intruiging story and universe. 

Really happy you got along so well with it, and decided to give it a proper go. 
    tin_robot wrote:
    (Reg - if I can do it...)

Steady on...
  • I missed it yesterday. Will try to do the one on Friday.
  • JonB wrote:
    I missed it yesterday. Will try to do the one on Friday.

This week is Wednesday (June 2nd) / Thursday (June 3rd). So, it'll be a "today" run. If today is no good, not to worry, i'll mix up the days for next week and see what works for most people.

EDIT:

The runs for the current week will always be in the thread title. If you're not sure which days, just check the title.
  • I'm on it now. You can look at results from previous days too BTW.

Yesterday's final result, for example:
    Boris 197
    Cinty 559
    Elf 565

I guess I haven't got Tin and Wario on my friends list.
  • Today’s challenge: there’s a successful overload buff, but also a no overload nerf. What?
  • Ok that was fucked. I died. Early. Don’t laugh. 

• Fucking rotgland globber.
  • It's a tough one. I'm 129/469 at the moment. 70,013. Didn't finish it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Today’s challenge: there’s a successful overload buff, but also a no overload nerf. What?
    And yeah, wtf is that all about?
  • And in my defence I've been playing Ninja Gaiden games solidly for the last week, and kept trying to wall run.
  • Lol

Can I say I’ve been playing SFV with mates and kept trying to do hadokens?
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm on it now. You can look at results from previous days too BTW.

Yesterday's final result, for example:
    Boris 197
    Cinty 559
    Elf 565

I guess I haven't got Tin and Wario on my friends list.

Good to know you can see previous results. Just gotta make sure everyone is friends (<3)
  • Still gonna do points for this week as I don’t want to change rules half way through. But next week will likely be highest world ranking across the 2 days.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Absolutely terrible run.

Score 23,758
    Rank 329

What a shit gun

• Oh. So I’m not that bad at the moment then. :)

Yep. Shit gun. Made short work of the big wolves. It was the flying automatons that killed me. Lots of them and I couldn’t effectively target them. Tried running around and hiding and doing one by one but then a Severed sneaked up behind me and killed me. Fucking warping bastard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!