Final Fantasy XVI - an all-action RPG - June 22nd - PS5
  • Done the demo. Fucking love this.
  • Hmnnng don’t make me download and play it tonight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    How long is the demo
  • How long is the demo

2 hours prologue (that carries into main game)
    +
    1 hour combat demo from mid-game to let you play with more combat toys (that doesn't carry into main game)
  • It's very generous. Prologue mainly gives you a few moves plus attack spam, but sets the tone perfectly. Game is legit.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Fucking hell! Final Fantasy is back baybee! That absolutely felt like the next generation of Final Fantasy. It looks like it could have been pre-rendered half the time, the plot seems decent so far and while I was a bit concerned about the change to action combat they’ve managed to make the gameplay flow still feel like Final Fantasy.

I’m not entirely free of misgivings. It seemed very linear (although the opening would be) and I think I’ll miss having an overworld. The framerate seemed a bit uneven in certain places (though not in combat where it really counts). And it leans very heavily on the GoT influence - only time will tell if too heavily. But there’s never been a perfect Final Fantasy game and if the full game keeps up that level of quality I’ll be very happy.

Really feels like with this and the Final Fantasy VII Remake series that the single-player franchise has finally turned the ship around after the Fabula Nova Crystalis dark years.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Fucking hell! Final Fantasy is back baybee! That absolutely felt like the next generation of Final Fantasy. It looks like it could have been pre-rendered half the time, the plot seems decent so far and while I was a bit concerned about the change to action combat they’ve managed to make the gameplay flow still feel like Final Fantasy.

I’m not entirely free of misgivings. It seemed very linear (although the opening would be) and I think I’ll miss having an overworld. The framerate seemed a bit uneven in certain places (though not in combat where it really counts). And it leans very heavily on the GoT influence - only time will tell if too heavily. But there’s never been a perfect Final Fantasy game and if the full game keeps up that level of quality I’ll be very happy.

Agree 100%.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm very early in. I liked the little LotR Balrog v Gandalf shot of the two falling summon things. Even though it's an 18, the claret still surprised me in the battle. Just grabbing control of wor Clive again, the GoT vibe is pleasing
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I wasn't in. But maybe I should be. Basically know nothing about it, and haven't played XV yet, and barely played VIIR, so conversely maybe my FF days are behind me.
  • Wasn’t a fan of VIIR, love this.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    With obviously the major caveat that I’ve played FFXV and FFVIIR but not this beyond the demo, this seems like it might be the best to jump into of the three. FFXV is a big ol’ mess and while FFVIIR has lovely production values and plays well, it has a whole awkward ‘pseudo-sequel to the original game’ thing going on with the plot and feels padded at times. If it sticks the landing, this honestly might be the best Final Fantasy game in a very, very long time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Active Time Lore is an excellent idea
  • Downloading the demo but before I play it…what game’s in terms of combat would you say it’s similar too?
  • Cinty will know. 

Downloading tonight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Downloading the demo but before I play it…what game’s in terms of combat would you say it’s similar too?

A mish mash of all sorts really. I'm getting a bit of The Witcher 3 and a dollop of Dragon's Dogma, but it's faster than both. Not played a Devil May Cry since the first one but there's some of that too, looks to be aerial stuff in the skills bit
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The battle director worked on Devil May Cry V and Dragon’s Dogma.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Not the Witcher then? The setting of the first scrap probably swayed me there
  • I'm loving ff16.
    Already pre-ordered and can't wait.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's excellent. The mix of Eastern and Western influences is sublime, right up my alley as too much from the East ends up in the land of the rising cringe for me. This has the lot though, fast paced fights, it looks gorgeous, the voice acting is good, great world building and story telling to the point where I care more about a few of these characters and what's happening to them after a couple of hours than I care about most characters in the full duration of other games. Or TV shows, chuck those in too because it's like watching a top anime at times.

I've only done the prologue and I've decided I'm not going to do the rest because I don't like the idea of jumping forward in gameplay terms, I loved the drip feed of the learning curve and where you end up by the end in terms of mechanics. Jumping ahead feels like a "next time, on TV show X" which I hate.

This could be the rare as fuck complete package of storytelling and gameplay for me. That it's all wrapped up in a nostalgia tickling FF game (chocobos mother fucker) is just the icing on the cake. Will it have a mini game as good as Blitzball though?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The music on the dashboard playing away while I typed that and browse the internet. Magic
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Don't open unless you've completed the prologue:
    Spoiler:
  • Did y'all choose performance or graphics?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I went with Graphics and, according to my TV at least it was hitting 60 ish fps with VRR enabled.

So, have to say I was getting sick of the coverage of this game, but this is easily the best demo I’ve played. I didn’t expect to like the little blonde kid but he was a great little character. The combat had elements of the FFVII remake but without the panicky character switching, a plus in my eyes.

The graphics had been clearly polished to a very high standard with excellent models (Bethesda take note), textures, animation and lighting. It really looks amazing.

The double stagger mechanic meant the mini-bosses didn’t outstay their welcome (though I’m sure we’ll get some sword sponges later on) and the way Clive moves around the battlefield is just plain fun. Makes a nice change from being a hulking knight hiding behind his shield trying not to get one-hit.

I’m also not going to bother with the later game demo. Agree that I’d rather learn the upgraded skills and mechanics as the game progresses.

Yep, this is a straight pre-order. Good move with the demo Square.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Shopto have got up to 16% off PSN cards if anyone is going digital. Standard edition works out at about £55 that way.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Okay I've never played a FF I'll try this tomorrow is it still ultra weeb
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message

Not really, IIRC this the first one where English is the primary dub and the main influence is GoT rather than shonen manga.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Nah. Just the right blend for me
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Also channelling some LOTR with that opener… Tolkien’s gonna sue somebody.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    thank you lads
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Also channelling some LOTR with that opener… Tolkien’s gonna sue somebody.

I loved it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!