PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Apologies to anyone not into this spoiler bullshit

So there may well be an answer to some stuff:
    Spoiler:

That Active Time Lore is a class idea. Extra depth and context at the touch of a button if you want it, or you can let events play out without it. Come back after a break, forget what's going on and who this character is? ATL is there to fill you in.

Regarding the spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I literally can't get my head around playing a game in a language you can't understand and it isn't even lip synced to that language. Blows my mind. To be fair, the lip sync thing won't even be an issue because you'll be reading the subtitles. But still

I usually go towards JP voice acting in a lot of titles, but this one was written in English first (a first for the series) and is clearly, well, European inspired. Gotta stick with English.

Yeah I think this is fair. Tsushima and Yakuza I will always play with Japanese voice and English subtitles. Makes sense to me plus they are all so well voiced to my ears anyway. It also helps me learn a few basic words and some new swears.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Apologies to anyone not into this spoiler bullshit
    So there may well be an answer to some stuff:
    Spoiler:
    That Active Time Lore is a class idea. Extra depth and context at the touch of a button if you want it, or you can let events play out without it. Come back after a break, forget what's going on and who this character is? ATL is there to fill you in. Regarding the spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Vela wrote:
    I literally can't get my head around playing a game in a language you can't understand and it isn't even lip synced to that language. Blows my mind. To be fair, the lip sync thing won't even be an issue because you'll be reading the subtitles. But still
    I usually go towards JP voice acting in a lot of titles, but this one was written in English first (a first for the series) and is clearly, well, European inspired. Gotta stick with English.
    Yeah I think this is fair. Tsushima and Yakuza I will always play with Japanese voice and English subtitles. Makes sense to me plus they are all so well voiced to my ears anyway. It also helps me learn a few basic words and some new swears.

Don't want no English NANI!
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I thought the main demo was a bit ‘grind to stagger’ but the second bit didn’t really feel like that because the additional options made it a bit more interesting. I think it might be the traditional ‘first few hours take a bit to get going’ JRPG issue rather the system being fundamentally duff.
    I've played a bit of the other half of the demo and I'm not seeing much improvement. Minor battles feel like button mashing chores already.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The minor battles were a bit of a red flag for me on the later bit as well, I enjoyed the boss though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Just did the boss. The main issue there is how easy it is for this sort of thing. Spamming dodge works too well and the Titan block move is a very consistent parry ability.

I wasn't sure about this single character combat before, and the demo hasn't convinced me it's a good direction for the series at all.
  • So after playing the demo and I loved it.

Clive
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • JonB wrote:
    Just did the boss. The main issue there is how easy it is for this sort of thing. Spamming dodge works too well and the Titan block move is a very consistent parry ability. I wasn't sure about this single character combat before, and the demo hasn't convinced me it's a good direction for the series at all.

I'm ok with the game trying something new, and i adored the whole package - but i do think it'll be a little marmite, one of the reasons I recommended Vela try the game rather than insta-buy. I love turn-based, I love character action, I'd love Final Fantasy to go turn-based again in future or try different combat systems - but for this one, i'm happy to let it do its thing. 

And I really, really, really like the story presentation.
  • I love character action. But this feels like B-grade character action to me. And stretched out over an epic RPG? Hmm.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't know who to trust, and don't have the energy to form my own opinion. Utter shambles.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The style, story and combat has put me off even trying the ones between XII and this. Something early on caught my eye with this (probably the western knights setting) and it's just looked better the more I saw of it. The demo more than eased any lingering worries that I'd fucked up by pre ordering it, I loved it more than I expected to
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't know who to trust, and don't have the energy to form my own opinion. Utter shambles.

JonB is a shill, bought and paid for. The rest of us don't have any skin in the game
  • Shouldn't I be the one saying it's great then?
  • JonB wrote:
    I love character action. But this feels like B-grade character action to me. And stretched out over an epic RPG? Hmm.

Worked for Nier: Automata.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Shouldn't I be the one saying it's great then?

Depends on who's paying
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bethesda
  • JonB wrote:
    I love character action. But this feels like B-grade character action to me. And stretched out over an epic RPG? Hmm.
    I'm not sure it did. As much as I like N:A for other reasons, the combat was a bit of a drag.
  • JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I'm not sure it did. As much as I like N:A for other reasons, the combat was a bit of a drag.

Booo, you whore.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Does JonB have a problem with combat in Asian-developed games… or just a problem with Asians?? #cancelled
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Very much enjoyed the demo, I'll probs pick it up when I get paid end of the month.

Actually thought it was a bit emosh when
    Spoiler:

Also, plot wise:
    Spoiler:

Going back to 7 Intermission after this was a bit of whiplash, quite the difference in terms of style and presentation.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This is being advertised on London buses and will hence sell in double-decker volumes calling it now
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Very much enjoyed the demo, I'll probs pick it up when I get paid end of the month. Actually thought it was a bit emosh when
    Spoiler:
    Also, plot wise:
    Spoiler:
    Going back to 7 Intermission after this was a bit of whiplash, quite the difference in terms of style and presentation.

Yep that first spoiler was quite brutal.
    Spoiler:
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Also, plot wise:
    Spoiler:

I guessed it would be that from the moment
    Spoiler:
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I feel a bit sorry for the scheming magician lady.
    Spoiler:

Sorry.
  • I wanna play this noooooooooow.

So bored that I’ve decided to watch Moonfall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!