Syph’ll Fix It
  • Possibly literally. The face foam thing stank too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    This is the problem with modern devices, it isn't the machine itself, it's the horrible stinking fleshbag that inserts itself into the computer.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Amazing!! Buying some of that to try on my glasses.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Amazing!! Buying some of that to try on my glasses.

I don’t know if glasses are still made of glass, or whether they use a plastic/resin nowadays, but it may be worth buying both types if you’re not sure. The plastic one didn’t made a heap of difference on my phone screen, which is glass. But it did work wonders on the Quest.
  • Well it'll be worth a try anyway :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • In other, related news. My new camera/microscope set up has arrived from China. Oh glorious day.
  • Thank you, China!
  • It’s actually so much better than I thought it would be:

F_N5YdhWkAAMR5e?format=jpg

I’m such a geek for this shit.
  • Stupid sexy camera forcing a double post.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Filth.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Still need to return to Item #1 (Switch), but after having a bit of a win with Item #2 (Quest 2 headset), I’ve taken the funds generated - it sold for £90 - and I’ve picked up Item #3 (PS5 Disc Edition).

The listing for the item is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126194719385 and I paid a total of £210 for it. The listing stated the following:

The bad parts... doesn't display picture due to the hdmi port being damaged. Console still turns on just no picture. The plastic around the port is melted a little bit this was down to me thinking a little heat might fit the hdmi port but the plastic quickly began to bubble so I stopped. Console has never been opened. Console only no leads or controls.

Here’s a quick picture of the damage done by the previous owner:

F_cSh4IWgAA_xq6?format=jpg

I’m waiting on arrival, but the hope is that a little clean and a new HDMI port (£2 each), I should have a tidy profit in this console. Time will tell.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How the feck do people do that?

Some dickhead in work forced a USB connector into an ethernet port. Can you imagine how much effort that would have taken?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So this guy possibly took a lighter to the HDMI port of his PS5 on the off chance that melting it a bit would fix the issue of it not working?
  • Sounds like it... Which is obviously far more sensible than trying to sort a repair
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK wrote:
    How the feck do people do that? Some dickhead in work forced a USB connector into an ethernet port. Can you imagine how much effort that would have taken?

That's amazing and I'm always surprised at the capacity for some people not to stop and ask themselves whether they're doing it right. "Should I stop doing this, it's not working? No, I should shove it in harder!"

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So this guy possibly took a lighter to the HDMI port of his PS5 on the off chance than melting it a bit would fix the issue of it not working?

I don't know why I assumed it was a heat gun (probably because I have one), but yeah a lighter makes more sense and now I'm even more shocked that they did that. Madness.
  • Item #4 (Custom Xbox Series SSD Expansion)

Had a feeling I'd be able to do this, but wasn't 100% certain. I've had a spare SSD from a Series S for a while and as the console was never going to breath again, I decided I wanted to repurpose some parts, particularly the SSD. Anyhoo, a little theorising and importing later and I've sorted it. Here is the new expansion card (and my feet):

F_dk94XWAAItsOp?format=jpg

And here's it working in my Series X:

F_dk94ZXIAE9BuF?format=jpg

This means that I can put together a 512gb expansion card for around £60, when the official ones retail for £158 (down to £90 for Black Friday).

If anyone is interested in ordering a unit, let me know.
  • How much for the feet?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pervert.
  • How much for the feet?

£50 per hour.

Edit - that's awesome Syph.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sold.
  • How much for the feet?

Knew I’d make this pay one day. The tech was always the side hustle to the foot trade.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is clearly what Syph does at a weekend

• I wish. I spend both days driving children around.

I live repair/restoration videos like that. Sooooo satisfying.
  • I'm definitely up for a expansion card in the new year btw.
  • That’s cool mate. If I can understand how many of each size people want collectively, I can reduce the price by ordering in bulk. I’m not looking to profit from this.
  • Hey, good work Syph. Only seeing this now after your post in the Xbox thread.
    Like Gav, new year sounds good for expansion.
    Question on your screwdriver ... Is it just for convenience or have you a preference over manual? Are screws less likely to strip with a powered one?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I'd take one of those expansions as well Syph. Been on my list to get one for a while.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Hey, good work Syph. Only seeing this now after your post in the Xbox thread. Like Gav, new year sounds good for expansion. Question on your screwdriver ... Is it just for convenience or have you a preference over manual? Are screws less likely to strip with a powered one?

Hiya mate.

It's a combination of both. When you start out with this stuff, you get sent a mini screwdriver with everything! Joycon fixing kit... Screwdriver! Switch back cover replacement.... Screwdriver! Etc. Etc.

They we're fine, until 2 things happened. They aren't particularly well made (not a surprise, given they're a chuck in), so they were breaking down and threading screws. They were also all the same read coloured, semi transparent handle, and I couldn't work out which was which. I 've taken apart hundreds of devices over the last year, so I thought's I'd treat myself and get something a bit more quality and that will make life easier.

Lots of folk swear by the iFixit Tech Toolkits, they're however £65. That's a hell of an investment to make if you are starting out. It would be like buying a Hakko station for your first soldering job. If you can, do it, but I'm a little more modest and prefer to build up to bigger investments as I go. Like the microscope upgrade, which I've picked up over a year after using a £13 one.

I'm using this one, which I've picked up from Ali Express. It's got all of the bits that I need, tidies away nicely and - because it is powered - I have the choice to be a little lazy. You can still use it manually and I often have to get the heavier screws (in something like a PS5 started that way). The quality of the bits are good and snap into the case magnetically. I've also found they are more likely to pop out of a screw if not sat in properly, than tear through it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!