Syph’ll Fix It
  • Does it only happen with DOS2? Maybe you could try reloading the controller profile for the game.
    There's also the chance that your Proton version is playing up. I like using the experimental version, but I wouldn't know how to change that on the Deck.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, it's across everything even outside of games and on the desktop mode. Absolutely mad bug which I can't get my head around.

There's an option to keep your games and reinstall the Deck OS in a recovery menu, I'm going to try that when I can muster the energy. If that doesn't work, full wipe and reinstall, if that doesn't work it's off to Valve
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    And here in Aus we STILL can't buy a Deck
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Didn't work. I'll look at sending it in for a repair. I'll have to take the SSD back out too.

BALL

ACHE
  • Not sure how it’s possible, but I’ve just bought a faulty Nitro Deck with stick drift. Given that the whole point of them is that they’re drift free, it’ll be interesting to see what’s causing the fault when it arrives.
  • Syph, PS4 pads, what screwdriver do I need to open them up?
  • Phillips #00 Screwdriver
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Not sure how it’s possible, but I’ve just bought a faulty Nitro Deck with stick drift. Given that the whole point of them is that they’re drift free, it’ll be interesting to see what’s causing the fault when it arrives.

After testing, I don’t *think * it’s drift. I think the left stick had been pulled out slightly. They’re supposed to be the hall sensing jobbies, so drift shouldn’t be a thing. Anyway it was £18 and I love it.
  • Hello Syph. Did you get my WhatsApp last week?
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • I did not. I’ll resend my number, I may have made an error.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reckon you can fix the usb connector on my Kindle?? It's starting to annoy me as it's nearly impossible to charge...
  • I can but try. Modern kindles aren’t really supposed to be repaired (my fixing journey actually started on the old keyboard kindle, but I stopped when they started gluing them up rather than screwing), but I have a heat gun now and I should be able to sort it for you. PM me and I’ll give you my address.
  • Can I ask, is there, or should there be, a discernable difference between a USB C-to-C cable that can handle power transfer, and one that handles data and power transfer?

The reason I ask is, the wee retro console has a port separate to the charging port for updates and moving stuff across etc. I've a few C-to-C cables but none seem to work. My phone doesn't have "data transfer" as a option when it's connected, only charging. I should probably crack out her new laptop and use a normal A-to-C shouldn't I?
  • I’d personally just remove the micro SD and pop that in the laptop, assuming it has a reader. If not, pick up a SD to USB-C dongle for a couple of quid on Amazon. The retro consoles tend to me made using Linux, so I really don’t know what will happen if you try and connect them to a windows PC.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mines an old one. I'll poke it a bit more first.
  • I’ve got an old (no keyboard, but old) Kindle that won’t take a charge or switch on. I was keeping it to try and get the (high seas acquired) books off it one day … but maybe I should give in and bin it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Mines an old one. I'll poke it a bit more first.

Happy to try mate
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I’d personally just remove the micro SD and pop that in the laptop, assuming it has a reader. If not, pick up a SD to USB-C dongle for a couple of quid on Amazon. The retro consoles tend to me made using Linux, so I really don’t know what will happen if you try and connect them to a windows PC.

Fair shout. Her laptop is a chromebook so, um, lol let's see!
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve got an old (no keyboard, but old) Kindle that won’t take a charge or switch on. I was keeping it to try and get the (high seas acquired) books off it one day … but maybe I should give in and bin it.

I’m pretty sure this old Kindle of mine just has a knackered battery and is otherwise still fine. If it’d be any use to cannibalise for parts (maybe to get Muzzy’s working again) I’d gladly donate it. Just give me a shout.
  • Here’s something you may find interesting. I’ve fixed a few PS5’s recently with HDMI port issues. The soldering on those things is criminal - just falling off the board and I’m yet to get one working again reliably without replacing the whole damned thing. Anyway, that’s not the purpose of this particular post.

The latest PS5 was heavily caked in dust and it had begun the process of overheating. I normally tidy up the Liquid Metal, but today was the first time I’d seen oxidation as heavy as this:

GDAxGgHXIAAgVBx?format=jpg

Cleaning up the APU and the damage was clearer to see:

GDAxGgOXgAE8Qum?format=jpg

I’ve managed to clean it up (mostly) and applied new Liquid Metal, but that’s a cautionary tale for anyone concerned about the effects of dust buildup.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    I normally tidy up the Liquid Metal, but today was the first time I’d seen oxidation as heavy as this.

Jesus. How does that even happen? Damp house?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So in exciting news, I tried a different cable, and my kindle charged fine!

I'm starting to think maybe the Kindle isn't the problem.
  • Syph mate how much is it to fix muzzy?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-(

He's not a miracle worker Gav!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • He'll have to strip muzzy down and give him a good clean to see what's wrong first.

That’s a service I don’t normally quote for on the internet. Send me an encrypted WhatsApp.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    I normally tidy up the Liquid Metal, but today was the first time I’d seen oxidation as heavy as this.

Jesus. How does that even happen? Damp house?

It’s purely down to dust inside the console. The hotter the Liquid Metal gets, the more it’s likely to bond to the surface. Better airflow inside would have prevented this.

If anyone wants my advice on this subject, despite personally having had my PS5’s all vertical, I’m now going team horizontal to keep the metal pooled centrally and cleaning out my consoles on the regular.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!