Syph’ll Fix It
  • I'm definitely up for a expansion card in the new year btw.
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Only seeing this now after your post in the Xbox thread. Like Gav, new year sounds good for expansion.
    Kazuo wrote:
    I'd take one of those expansions as well Syph. Been on my list to get one for a while.

All noted, guys. I'll keep a list of people interested and reach out to you in the new year with a plan and a pricing structure. As I said, the more people in, the cheaper it should work out.
  • I recorded replacing an M92T36 chip on a Switch the other day. Here's the results in a short video, sped up x2, so you don't have to endure a 10 min highlight reel:

Some of you may find this interesting.
  • I’d certainly be interested in a SSD expansion card too, please.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I’d certainly be interested in a SSD expansion card too, please.

You're on the list

(not that list, before you ask ;))
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I’d certainly be interested in a SSD expansion card too, please.

You're on the list

(not that list, before you ask ;))

I’m pleased the Galf abuse doesn’t carry on elsewhere… oh.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I'm definitely up for a expansion card in the new year btw.
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Only seeing this now after your post in the Xbox thread. Like Gav, new year sounds good for expansion.
    Kazuo wrote:
    I'd take one of those expansions as well Syph. Been on my list to get one for a while.

All noted, guys. I'll keep a list of people interested and reach out to you in the new year with a plan and a pricing structure. As I said, the more people in, the cheaper it should work out.

I'm absolutely up for this as well. Need moar mems but not willing to pay silly prices. Go on an McGuyver that shit!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't need one but just dropping in to say you're a don Syph
  • I don't need one but just dropping in to say you're a don Syph

Ah, cheers my man. Much appreciated.
  • Another five star review for Syph from me.

Switch.jpg
  • The Elite pad I got is all good too, I would recommend Syph!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Likewise, likewise
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Another five star review for Syph from me. Switch.jpg

I was about to ask how you got that sky scene displayed on that screen....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lovely to see.

I'd absolutely love a charging dock for the PS Vita. Is that... Out there, as a faulty that could be fixed?
  • Syph, what would you recommend as something to start on to see if this repair lark is for you? I've liked messing around with PC's, but not sure about consoles.
  • Syph, what would you recommend as something to start on to see if this repair lark is for you? I've liked messing around with PC's, but not sure about consoles.

Something you don't mind breaking!

I always get comments from the family about how willing I am to have a go at fixing something, but it's normally because (a) it doesn't often belong to me, and (b) it's already broken, so breaking it further isn't normally a concern. That can change when you've got skin in the game and you need to get it repaired to sell it on. I'd recommend a low investment and a safe space to practice and build up from.

My first console repair was a Switch, but that's because someone gave me a broken one. No power Switch consoles are in ready supply and it's most likely going to be a charging port or M92 replacement, as videoed above. The parts are small though, so they're a bit fiddly for newcomers. Switch tablets will set you back around £40 each, if you shop around.

If you want something less fiddly, maybe start old school with a Gameboy. Fewer components and plenty of spare parts out there. You can do some upgrades along the way, including a smart screen and new case.

Dante wants a broken switch from his secret santa then.
  • I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks.
    I started by replacing a couple of broken headphone plugs to get my feet wet. It's relatively easy and very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I'd recommend Neutrik plugs.
    I also soldered the switches on my new diy keyboard, which was much easier than fixing broken stuff.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Is this a thread for general badger fixing of things/projects and so on, or specifically Wesley Pegden Syph's shed?

I've got a pair of AKG K550 wired headphones that I'm reluctant to chuck away, because in terms of bang for buck they're probably the best headphones I've ever had (they weren't mega expensive for mid range cans - £105 iirc, but they suited my listening habits perfectly when I first started dabbling with lossless audio).  The ear pad bits are in an absolute pickle though - first the material started disintegrating, then there wasn't enough coverage to stop the green foam underneath from sliding all over the place.  Not pretty, but they still work perfectly (as in the sound comes out from where it should, but the foam is hanging by a literal thread).

Would much rather they went to a loving home than the dump, but [here comes the technical bit] the ear cushions would need to be completely re-skinned.  Free to a tinkerbadger + postage anyway.
  • I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks.
    I started by replacing a couple of broken headphone plugs to get my feet wet. It's relatively easy and very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I'd recommend Neutrik plugs.
    I also soldered the switches on my new diy keyboard, which was much easier than fixing broken stuff.

Nice. Thanks for the positivity. Soon your feet will fully submerged.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is this a thread for general badger fixing of things/projects and so on, or specifically Wesley Pegden Syph's shed?

I've got a pair of AKG K550 wired headphones that I'm reluctant to chuck away, because in terms of bang for buck they're probably the best headphones I've ever had (they weren't mega expensive for mid range cans - £105 iirc, but they suited my listening habits perfectly when I first started dabbling with lossless audio).  The ear pad bits are in an absolute pickle though - first the material started disintegrating, then there wasn't enough coverage to stop the green foam underneath from sliding all over the place.  Not pretty, but they still work perfectly (as in the sound comes out from where it should, but the foam is hanging by a literal thread).

Would much rather they went to a loving home than the dump, but [here comes the technical bit] the ear cushions would need to be completely re-skinned.  Free to a tinkerbadger + postage anyway.

I can replace the ear pads on those for around £5.

Why don’t I just do that for you and you can keep/enjoy them?
  • Syph! You’re ruining his plan to get a much more expensive pair past the Mrs Moot
  • Heh.  The thing is, back when Skerret used to constantly whisper things in my ear like "open back/soundstage/TUBE AMPS" I upgraded twice after buying the AKGs, and bought a mini DAC/amp.  The AKG's were my 'everyday' cans for work, but I also have a Fostex pair for Hip Hop and (open back!) HIFIMANS for country that I got off some sort of weird Kickstarter audiophile website.  I was obsessed for about 3 years, then it all sort of fizzled out and I use a £40 pair of bluetooth headphones now, because my phone didn't even come with a headphone jack and my Fiio FLAC player runs out of juice after about 50 minutes.  

TLDR if a badger wants them and doesn't mind paying syph to fix them (or wants to give it a bash themselves) that suits me.  Cheers Syph.
  • We can do what I've agreed with another Badger if you like, Moot? Send them to me, I'll repair them, sell them on and put the proceeds into the hardship fund.
  • Sounds good if no-one specifically wants them. Good stuff.
  • There are genre-specific headphones? TIL but that seems to be both logical AND batshit crazy at the same time.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Not exactly, but closed headphones sound a lot better for beats, whereas open back are a better fit for weeping steel guitars imo ymmv.  It's basically the audio version of people scrutinising a UHD 4K display for HDR and ultra black blacks.  Wally territory, but when it came to chasing minor gains I was all ears for a while. The holy grail is always within reach.
  • Makes sense and I can see how it could be debated til the cows come home but I'll make do with a mono earbud rather than fall down that rabbit hole!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Probably for the best.  It's quite warm and bright in the hole though.  Good acoustics too. 
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!