PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    How is old is man old?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fuck's sake.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Haha. Page turn got you there. I think I was going for manual/old toothbrush.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I was verily page turn'd.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Any idea what this stuff is on my PlayStation board? 20240315-104416.jpg 20240315-104517.jpg
    Just seen this. Sorry. 

Board corrosion is most often caused by a spill or moisture. Has this been kept somewhere cold/damp? 

I’d suggest getting some isopropyl alcohol and brushing it vigorously with a man old toothbrush. Do not attempt to power it on before it’s cleaned.

About that...

The issue was that it was outputting a black screen. If it's still there after a wash, any thoughts?
  • It's a minor miracle that it powered on at all.

The issue with corrosion like that, is it is conductive. So it can send power to where it shouldn't be and slowly pick off chips.

You're in a sticky spot, as - on one hand - the area will need to be cleaned, but - on the other - cleaning as you go is the best way, so you're not just cleaning the crime scene and then don't know where to check if it doesn't work.

I could take a look at it for you, if you like? Alternatively, buy a cheap bottle of isopropyl alcohol and get scrubbing.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    You're in a sticky spot, as - on one hand - the area will need to be cleaned, but - on the other - cleaning as you go is the best way.

Stop it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Syph'd be proud - I picked up a set of plastic spudgers in Taipei, and I've managed to get the old HDD out of my laptop and into my desktop (so I can transfer my old data across), and put a new SSD and battery into my old laptop.

Tomorrow's plan: installing a new OS on my laptop!
  • Not all heroes wear capes
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Quite.

• Inspired by this thread I have picked up a pair of AKG K550mkII headphones with knackered ear pads and headband. Seems to be a straightforward swap but I'm not sure where to buy quality replacements. I'd prefer oem if possible. Any suggestions where to buy?
  • I think you might struggle to get OEM parts, but there's certainly a lot of 3rd party replacement parts on Amazon.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The days of original manufacturers making replacement parts are long gone, or at least receding rapidly into the distance. There's a reason that the right to repair is a hot-button topic. I'd follow g.man's advice.
  • I'm struggling to find oem parts but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of different options on Amazon and eBay. I've got option paralysis.
  • n0face wrote:
    Inspired by this thread I have picked up a pair of AKG K550mkII headphones with knackered ear pads and headband. Seems to be a straightforward swap but I'm not sure where to buy quality replacements. I'd prefer oem if possible. Any suggestions where to buy?

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £2.07 | Earpads Round 105MM For AKG k550 k551 k553 k 550 551 Headphones Pads Headset Accessories Headband Ear Cushion Ear Cups Ear Cover
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjQzY3d
  • I think they're the headphones I've got? Nice.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    Inspired by this thread I have picked up a pair of AKG K550mkII headphones with knackered ear pads and headband. Seems to be a straightforward swap but I'm not sure where to buy quality replacements. I'd prefer oem if possible. Any suggestions where to buy?

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £2.07 | Earpads Round 105MM For AKG k550 k551 k553 k 550 551 Headphones Pads Headset Accessories Headband Ear Cushion Ear Cups Ear Cover
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjQzY3d

Thanks for the link, I thought at £2 it's worth a punt. £2 turned into £4 then £4 turned into £8 but I was that far in I went for it anyway.
  • n0face wrote:

Different brand, but I've just replaced the earpads on my Bose QC35s with a 3rd party set and was really straightforward. They look like new now. Makes me wonder if many people sell on their headphones just because of battered pads...
  • Narrator: It was a spring.

My pleasure, Drew, and thanks again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Has syph done It for me yet
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Has syph done It for me yet

Syph was raging to find the OLED that he bought for a reasonable fee, that the seller said had died and wasn't worth going through the fuss of repairing, had quite clearly had prior repair attempts and is therefore somewhat more of a challenge. Ebay purchases for 'spares and repairs' are a fucking wasteland of gits that want to pass off their shit as broken, when in reality they've given it a good go themselves.

It's not hopeless, but I'm less hopeful. The good news (I guess) is that I have an OLED screen I know works, which is half the battle, along with the matching Joycons, Dock and Charger.
  • £8.50 for a brand newish pair of headphones
    PXL-20240418-193315008.jpg
    PXL-20240418-195348095.jpg
    PXL-20240418-200111717-MP.jpg

Thanks for the inspo Syph
  • Any tips for ps5 dual sense drift? Tried the reset job, but don't want to try taking it apart to clean it.thanks in advance
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • n0face wrote:
    £8.50 for a brand newish pair of headphones
    PXL-20240418-193315008.jpg
    PXL-20240418-195348095.jpg
    PXL-20240418-200111717-MP.jpg

Thanks for the inspo Syph

Lol mine are in worse condition than the top pic and I still used them every day during lockdown. They're superb headphones though, I need to follow your lead.
  • Took 10 minutes, well worth it.
  • Exceptional work.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Aye, that’s class.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Wonder how many fully functional pairs of headphones are in landfill because they look a bit ratty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!