The TV you like thread
  • Gremill wrote:
    Squid Games on Netflix. Get on it, it's very good.

Yeeeeah, boi!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Enjoyed Foundation ep 1. Hopefully more character development to come. It's mega-budget looking stuff in terms of how it's shot, but sets were a bit sparse.

The trailer for Invasion on Apple TV is very good.

Sets on the ships are better for second episode. Liking it still and Gaal is the most interesting character so far. Don’t know who the actress is but she’s great.
  • Opening credits for the new live action Cowboy Bebop.  I dont understand why we need a live action Cowboy Bebop, but this is does at least suggest they’re going to wanting to evoke the original…

Netflix has also put out a Sandman trailer, which similarly clearly wants to reassure that it’s true to the original - but feels maybe a little too camp as a result?  (Though that may just be my default reaction to Charles Dance.)

• I was bit disappointed to see some recognisable story characters in the Cowboy Bebop opening suggesting they're essentially just retelling the anime. What's the point. Tell me some new stories in that world. When the anime is so perfect, why would I choose to watch it live action. Obviously it's probably less for me and more for people who haven't watched the anime but then again it seems to want to appease the anime fans too. We'll see. I think the casting is great at least.

I still need to read Sandman but, for me, Charles Dance can't get anywhere near Sam Neill's performance in the recent-ish audio version. He goes full Event Horizon and it's definitely worth a listen.
  • Squid Game done.
    I really, really enjoyed it.
    They could easily have just done Battle Royale the series but Squid Game had much more to it than that.
  • Started it fell asleep will try again
    The Forum Herald™
  • I was bit disappointed to see some recognisable story characters in the Cowboy Bebop opening suggesting they're essentially just retelling the anime. What's the point. Tell me some new stories in that world. When the anime is so perfect, why would I choose to watch it live action. Obviously it's probably less for me and more for people who haven't watched the anime but then again it seems to want to appease the anime fans too. We'll see. I think the casting is great at least. I still need to read Sandman but, for me, Charles Dance can't get anywhere near Sam Neill's performance in the recent-ish audio version. He goes full Event Horizon and it's definitely worth a listen.

My take on the live action Cowboy Bebop is almost exactly the same.  (I will of course watch it)

Equally agree on Sandman - I thought the audio version was surprisingly good given that the source is so inherently visual. (Though Kat Dennings as Death took a bit of getting used to.)

@Liv - just started Squid Game, enjoying it so far. (If "enjoying" is the word..)
  • So Vigil was … alright? Decent little thriller, didn’t outstay it’s welcome, had a satisfying ending.

Plenty of ‘aye, right’ moments, but not enough to shark-jump.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I was bit disappointed to see some recognisable story characters in the Cowboy Bebop opening suggesting they're essentially just retelling the anime. What's the point. Tell me some new stories in that world. When the anime is so perfect, why would I choose to watch it live action. Obviously it's probably less for me and more for people who haven't watched the anime but then again it seems to want to appease the anime fans too. We'll see. I think the casting is great at least. I still need to read Sandman but, for me, Charles Dance can't get anywhere near Sam Neill's performance in the recent-ish audio version. He goes full Event Horizon and it's definitely worth a listen.

My take on the live action Cowboy Bebop is almost exactly the same.  (I will of course watch it)

Equally agree on Sandman - I thought the audio version was surprisingly good given that the source is so inherently visual. (Though Kat Dennings as Death took a bit of getting used to.)

@Liv - just started Squid Game, enjoying it so far. (If "enjoying" is the word..)

Need to go back and finish the audio version. We noped out of it during the diner sequence which was probably a section that didn't need to be such a direct translation from the graphic novel. I'm imagining it's probably just a double page spread in the book but 10/15 minutes of audio of that was a bit too much for the gf.
    Very nice production values throughout though.
  • poprock wrote:
    So Vigil was … alright? Decent little thriller, didn’t outstay it’s welcome, had a satisfying ending. Plenty of ‘aye, right’ moments, but not enough to shark-jump.

I gave up a bit though ep4.  I tried but did not enjoy.
  • Fair. It’s very much ‘Line of Duty in the Navy’ and if you’ve soured a bit on Line of Duty recently then Vigil probably won’t appeal.
  • Cops on a Sub!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Sub Cops!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • the thin blue submersible
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I was bit disappointed to see some recognisable story characters in the Cowboy Bebop opening suggesting they're essentially just retelling the anime. What's the point. Tell me some new stories in that world. When the anime is so perfect, why would I choose to watch it live action. Obviously it's probably less for me and more for people who haven't watched the anime but then again it seems to want to appease the anime fans too. We'll see. I think the casting is great at least. I still need to read Sandman but, for me, Charles Dance can't get anywhere near Sam Neill's performance in the recent-ish audio version. He goes full Event Horizon and it's definitely worth a listen.
    My take on the live action Cowboy Bebop is almost exactly the same.  (I will of course watch it) Equally agree on Sandman - I thought the audio version was surprisingly good given that the source is so inherently visual. (Though Kat Dennings as Death took a bit of getting used to.) @Liv - just started Squid Game, enjoying it so far. (If "enjoying" is the word..)
    Need to go back and finish the audio version. We noped out of it during the diner sequence which was probably a section that didn't need to be such a direct translation from the graphic novel. I'm imagining it's probably just a double page spread in the book but 10/15 minutes of audio of that was a bit too much for the gf. Very nice production values throughout though.

The diner is, if anything, worse in the book.  (Though the trouble with audio of course is that your imagination fills the visual gaps.)  A standard comic book's 24 pages, so Gaiman decided to do 24 hours over those pages.  It's pretty much intended as a warning not to get too comfortable I think. (It never gets quite that bad again.)
    What surprised me most about the audio book is that it also covers the little stand alone comics that he threw in near the end.  Some of those seem inconsequential but are essential later, but others are just as they appear and I rather assumed they would fall by the wayside.  But they clearly decided to do the lot. It will be interesting to see if the TV show decides to keep as close to the source material.

Speaking of which...

I also watched the first episode of Y: The Last Man last night.  So far it, erm, doesn't stick that closely to the original - though the central premise, one man and his monkey are the only males left alive on Earth, remains.  They first episode is almost entirely pre-catastrophe, and fills in a lot of back story for characters that didn't really have it in the comic book.  (Or were on an entirely different part of the planet.)

I'm not sure what I think of it yet, and whilst I spent much of that first episode willing it to get on with The Thing, when it hits I appreciated that spending an hour with a few of these people first made it considerably more effective.  I'll give it a few more episodes at least.
  • Just caught the tail end of 'Alma's not Normal' on BBC2 - brilliant new Northern comedy written by an ex-call girl : highly recommended.
  • Colour me interested. B5 without the plinky plonky 90's music and graphics rendered on a 486.
  • isn't Babylon 5 the one that was done on an Amiga?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Toaster.

hqdefault.jpg
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Well now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Babylon 5's a big pile of shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I seem to remember Babylon 5 being complete shite. But then I'm not really into the whole soap opera in space thing.
  • Was babylon 5 the first show to do those big overarching plots, or am I completey misremembering
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to that Twitter thread from the writer it was.
  • Ooooooooooooof some rough stuff in The Walking Dead this week.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Babylon 5's a big pile of shit.

The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!