General Bear Knuckle
  • The dream: SFxGG and Arcsys are given the dev job.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bring back parry, or cancels like FADC cancels or implement a Roman Cancel style mechanic.  And don't introduce a new mechanic like V-shift and then make it so awkward to pull off.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My wishlist

Alpha style art, using arc system type graphics(obviously not going to happen)
    I didn't mind SFVs graphic design although many of the backgrounds are dull and flat and the animation of the moves could be more dynamic.
    Less fighters overall and give each fighter more moves
    Back dash to return or similar. 
    Stop focusing on OTT balance stuff. The game should be fun first and foremost. Fighters should give the player as many options as possible in play style, instead of limiting it to one style fits all. Sure, this means some characters might be broken and others wont be popular. So?
    I can handle the costumes but they should fit the character. Some of Vs costumes just seemed randomly chosen (especially the themed stuff)
    Cut down on the male gaze. I dont mind sexy characters - male or female - but some of SFVs stuff goes straight for perv vision. 
    Scale back the power of the Super combos. I like meter stuff in fighting games but I hate the Ultra/ Super combo taking half a bar and being wildly different in terms of difficulty to hit with some characters. It should still need skill to land one. 
    Forgot about story guff. A little background to each fighter adds flavour but surely no-one wants or cares about those stupid story modes or the frankly insane bonkers crap that was the main story game. It was universally awful and players only completed it to get the Fight Money stuff. 
    Arcade mode should feel like Arcade mode. The addition of arcade mode to V was needed but it didnt feel like a proper arcade mode like in any other street fighter.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Its definitely going to have NFTs
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm 50 - 50 on a new game with a 3rd Strike parry system. I'm saying this, with full knowledge of my (non existent) skills.
    I'd always liked the Alpha counter system myself, where you spend meter for a knockdown in place of blockstun.

Focus Attacks were a good compromise, but even they created a high skill barrier for many people.

That said, parries are fun. Even basic use is satisfying. Like I say, I'm 50 - 50.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I want game footage. I will probably dismiss it at that point anyway.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Dick.gif
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve got a stick, plus a Brook universal board, and I could really do with finally putting them together, but it’s pretty damn confusing.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/brook-fighting-board-cable-hitbox-cable.html

Top option, so long as your stick has a 5-pin connector? If it has independent switches, i.e. 8 wires, you'll need the Hitbox addon. The 5-pin has a wire for each direction and a ground that loops via the PCB, whereas indie switches use a ground connector for each on a wire loop.

Detail_of_20-pin.png
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll take a proper look tomorrow, thanks for the reply.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Okay, so this is what the inside of my stick looks like:

6-FE3-BA8-D-0-FF9-40-B8-BAB0-3-D0-EE7-EFB685.jpg

I assume that the first cable will be all I need and it should be pretty much plug and play (at least once I work out how to get the lead to the console connected into the board)?

Then I think there’s another add-on box that I’ll need as well if I want PS5 functionality in the future.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    All I want for SF6 is my main girl Makoto back plzkthx Capcom

Also, just make it like SF4, cause that was fucking great

Oh, and like Alpha 3

In fact, Just make Alpha 4, with Makoto in it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I assume that the first cable will be all I need and it should be pretty much plug and play

Yeah, £17.99 plus a few quid postage. Your Brook should have wiring instructions on paper, but they're here: https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/

Good idea to update its firmware.

For the USB you could drill a 24mm hole in the case and fit — https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrik-NAUSB-B-Chassis-Mounting-Coupler/dp/B003VSXQVI — with two nuts and bolts (M3 countersunk).

Or if the stick has a cable compartment, something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ChenYang-Female-Printer-Scanner-extension/dp/B00S6G9JXY
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Type-B-Printer-Extension-Scanner/dp/B08ZRR1J6T

PS5 upgrade is available, but expensive — https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/brook-ufb-ps5-upgrade-kit-for-universal-fighting-board.html

The 5-pin connector on the stick has a latch, but it lifts easily with a fingernail. For the buttons, pull back the sleeves and insert the smallest flathead screwdriver you have (like from a Christmas cracker) under the flat side of the disconnects, and gently prise them away from their pins while pulling.

They have little locking tabs:

Tab.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheers for that, appreciated.

I wouldn’t mind saving the current USB lead setup if it’s possible, but I can play around with that.

It’ll be nice to just get it up and running in the first place, I bought it as much for 2D games as fightmen. Streets of Rage 4 just doesn’t feel right on a pad. Xbox has got some weird lockout so even Xbox sticks don’t work in all games.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I wouldn’t mind saving the current USB lead setup if it’s possible

There might be a premade cable to convert it to USB-B. Is that simply a USB daughterboard with a removable 4-pin male header? What stick is it?

I can only find USB-A cables...

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-A-to-USB-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-FF-2.0-Cable-10cm.html?setCurrencyId=6
    https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-Type%2dA-Male-to-USB-4%2dPin-Male-Header-Cable.html?setCurrencyId=6

...and don't know if they're the correct pitch (gap between pins). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

It's quite easy to make one with a decent crimping tool.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Bring back the 3rd Strike parry - it's just the best parry system ever invented, ever imho.

Universal parries dilute neutral a bit too much for me, but I'd like some characters to have their own.

I'd rather more characters had evasive moves with hurtboxes but no hitboxes, trading fast startups for punishable recoveries. For example, a damageless Spiral Arrow that goes through characters to escape pressure, leaving Cammy open when baited.

Abel's forward roll and Blanka's hop are the closest I can think of, but I'm getting more at stuff like teleports with reversed properties. So instead of a long startup into an almost guaranteed escape, the opposite. I've always remembered Sako using EX Cannon Strike to evade both Gouken fireballs.

Talking of, he used to whiff her instant version in front of opponents for a mixup, similar to Viper's feints.

And I'm a big fan of far-reaching low-damage moves that return reads without high risk, especially in 2D when you're locked down by frame pressure more often, matchup knowledge outweighing psychology. With Lee, you can just crouch momentarily to see if opponents are ready for the slide. I love that side of fightmen!

Keep parries and reversals for the grabblers and appropriate styles. Unless you tie universal parries to meter as a middle ground, or give variable advantage depending on the buttons they're used against. Like backturning an opponent if you parry certain heavies, or forcing them into a crouch when you parry an overhead, making it their turn to guess.

Just not a fan of the tit-for-tat implementation.
  • I'm just in favour of any mechanics that let the player or spectators go buck wild, I'm happy for them to put 3rd strike parries, focus attacks and metered counters/parries with big windows and invun. Give the players more defensive choices!

Once again I defer to GG, where you could block, block while using meter to prevent chip damage and increase the pushback on the attacker, parry, metered parry that you could hold like a focus attack, hitting a roman cancel in neutral to fuck with the enemies timing, or press the get off me button once or twice a match to interrupt any combo or attack outside of a cinematic and send the opponent back across the screen - that said I have no idea if all those things made it back into strive)

Imo a well timed parry into your counter attack is honestly just about the hypest thing you can do in a fighting game. Give players more ways to do cool stuff. None of those mechanics require anyone to be able to consistently hit a one frame link or anything like that, you just go with your gut or you feel like you have a read on what's coming next and go for it.

Defensive tools and options also give players something to do other than block and wait if the opponent is really piling on the pressure, or comboing you into the middle of next week - to be clear I'm a big fan of people being able to tee off on the opponent of they mess up, but the option to get a once or twice per match get out of jail free card can help players not feel like they lost a match because that made one mistake.

Anyway none of it matters now that the internet detectives have that logo was fucking $80 stock art from Adobe that someone spent 30 minutes alerting slightly. FFS Capcom why do you keep doing this to SF?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I wouldn’t mind saving the current USB lead setup if it’s possible

There might be a premade cable to convert it to USB-B. Is that simply a USB daughterboard with a removable 4-pin male header? What stick is it?

I can only find USB-A cables...

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-A-to-USB-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-FF-2.0-Cable-10cm.html?setCurrencyId=6
    https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-Type%2dA-Male-to-USB-4%2dPin-Male-Header-Cable.html?setCurrencyId=6

...and don't know if they're the correct pitch (gap between pins). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_header

It's quite easy to make one with a decent crimping tool.

No header, just wires attached directly to a board. I’m hoping they can easily be attached to some of the screw connectors.

And it’s a Razer Atrox.
  • Still not feeling any of the new stuff, @TheShend?

Hardly play much of anything at all, even 3S. GG Strive looked real purdy though.
  • CvS3d pls.
    20 years overdue.

Balancing grooves is gonna be a pain in the arse tho'.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    No header, just wires attached directly to a board. I’m hoping they can easily be attached to some of the screw connectors. And it’s a Razer Atrox.

Here we go:

To avoid soldering you could use a terminal block or splice connectors, but the wires have to be stripped.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh that is perfect. Thanks ‘Scape!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TheShend wrote:
    Still not feeling any of the new stuff, @TheShend?
    Hardly play much of anything at all, even 3S. GG Strive looked real purdy though.

I hear that.

Having the time to play is one thing, but these days, the seasonal character stuff does my head in too.
    But at least Tekken, GG and Dragon Ball looked 'complete' at launch.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm just in favour of any mechanics that let the player or spectators go buck wild, I'm happy for them to put 3rd strike parries, focus attacks and metered counters/parries with big windows and invun. Give the players more defensive choices!

Agree on choice, but I singled out 3S because #37 happened before Evo exploded during IV's peak, and under that kind of scrutiny over several years, I don't think its parries would be held in the same regard.

There's undoubted hype in the system, but I've seen enough pat-a-cake battles to feel it needs tweaking. Maybe as simple as a cooldown timer (after the last parry of a super or combo).

I generally prefer mechanics that affect momentum over countermeasure resets, but wouldn't mind certain characters having free parries.

(WebGuy neva4get!)

Yossarian wrote:
    Oh that is perfect. Thanks ‘Scape!

There's also an image of how someone mounted theirs:

Atrox.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Definitely tidier than the one in the video. Cheers!
  • Hah brilliant!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Oh shit! X'D
  • Heh

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Rouj was saying Smith couldn't take Wilder, but look at the startup and recovery on his ff2!

Wilder.gif

They really nerfed him in the Fury season.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    After two years of 'online exhibition events', while I'm sure it's infuriating the missus, the ComboBreaker streams are mad hype...
    Can't turn away from the Strive and Tekken pools.

If there's an SF5 one, I barely care.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't know how the Pakistan FGC managed to pick up so much heat over the pandemic, but Arslan Ash beasted Combobreaker.

Wonder if he carry that form into Evo?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!