Pro Wrestling
  • So Survivor Series happened.
  • Listening to observer live and thought they were taking the piss.
  • ooooh, there's lunchtime sorted
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • not sure what to make of SS

Becky vs Flair was ok but the finish was weak. Thought Becky looked like Britney spears from one of the videos.

Reigns and Big E was decent
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I have to say I really enjoyed ROH Final Battle. It wasn't the best show in the world but there was a couple of crackers and it felt like a right good send off with video messages from Danielson, Punk, Hangman and the Bucks. One weird angle aside, I'm interested what's goign to happen with the titles.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:

had a match at PCW against CJ Banks, who had been rechristened by the crowd as Carlton Banks because when the bar is £1.50 things like that are hillarious. Also Banks is an excellent heel and reacted with an appropriate level of outrage to this nonsense so it stuck.

When you chant this at him when he's in the ring with a black American who has no reason to know about this...
  • Spoiler:
    had a match at PCW against CJ Banks, who had been rechristened by the crowd as Carlton Banks because when the bar is £1.50 things like that are hillarious. Also Banks is an excellent heel and reacted with an appropriate level of outrage to this nonsense so it stuck. When you chant this at him when he's in the ring with a black American who has no reason to know about this...

Where in the blue Jesus are you watching live wrestling for £1.50 a pint? Was this in 1996! It's like 4 quid for a flat can of guiness at my nearest haunt. Thinking of going back in January for the first time in 18 months, Ospreay v OKJ is kinda tempting.
  • This was 2012, which at this point feels like it was as long ago as 1996.
  • Enjoyed the hell out of the Danielson/Hangman match, not match of the year, but likely in the top 10.
  • I've come round to Andrade for 2 reasons

A) He called Sting, Mr Sting

B) He could not possibly comprehend Darby Allin wasn't working for Sting for money.
  • Andrade is great.

NWA has returned to YouTube, presumably because no one was paying to watch it on Fite. I sure as fuck wasn't. They've also launched a new show, NWA USA, which seems to be a half hour Saturday show.

Between this and Impact is a show I want to see.
  • NWA also has a new price point that gets every show early, and all of their PPVs.

Think it's something like €60 a year.
  • Cancelled my Fite sub to AEW tonight as they've decided to stick the price up by a couple of quid and I don't think it's worth almost 8 quid when the product, outside of a few obvious bits and pieces, is a bit crap at the moment and in a bit of a slump.

I still really like it as a show but it's no longer something I need to watch every week. I hope that turns around.

Also Jericho sucks and needs to bugger off.
  • He may do. His contract is up this month.

There is an option for an extra year, but I don't know who can trigger it, or if both need to agree.
  • Did he ever had a good face run in wwe? I only really remember his heel stuff with Christian tbh and he's absolutely stinking out the place at the moment with this current incarnation.

He's got the least convincing baby face delivery I've ever heard. He tries to be so earnest but his voice is so obnoxious it just sounds fake and then when he tries to be funny he's either homophobic, sexist or when he can't be those all he's got left is "square head" and "pin head"

Thinking about it now I wonder if someone had a word and when he couldn't do gay or slut jokes he was like "well there's no more jokes so I guess square head it is".

I'm actually annoyed Eddie Kingston has gone from an absolutely killer feud with cm punk into this pish with Jericho and 2point0(who are the best).
  • Sorry. I have nobody to talk to about wrestling and this has been annoying me for weeks so needed to fart it out somewhere.
  • I can't really think of too many times where he was a face for a long stretch. I mean the HBK feud was supposed to be him as face, but they cheered Michaels for cheating, so just turned it back around.
  • Funny how you have found AEW has gone off the boil , I've probably watched more of it thanks to Punk and Bryan Danielson in the last few weeks.

For what its worth, I thought Bryan did a fantastic job with Hangman Page. Really Solid Stuff in both the matches and while I'm not a fan of the Hangman character (he is too clean cut for what he is supposed to be portraying) there is no doubting the guys ability to wrestle. I do hate his finisher though. The bump is great but the flip does not make any sense. Yeah, I know its wrestling but I just cant get on board with it (Why not just do a springboard like the AJ elbow?) 

I probably would have preferred Bryan to take the title but full marks to AEW for sticking with their home grown star. Cant argue the decision beyond personal preference. So with Page looking for a new feud - why not have Jericho go Heel for one last run at the title. His l'Champion character was his best AEW work and I'd agree he rarely has worked as a face (although he was monster over during an early feud with Triple H where I think WWE missed the ball on not putting him over with the title). He is kinda played out and he definitely took the shine off Eddie King (AEW really should have made more of his moment with Punk, King did fantastic there) but I believe he would put 100% into one final big run on top and it would be a great Push for Page to "retire" Chris Jericho. 

Its just a pity Jericho is a bona fide Trumper.

Would love to see Page win a feud with Jericho while MJF becomes the guy to take down Punk, leading to MJF taking the title from Page. That guy is so good. 

Overall, I still find the AEW has lots of guff that I just dont like but there also have some very solid top guys now. Miro, Kingston, and Darby are all solid high spots on the show for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • This has turned into a long post...

Ha that's fun. There's been a lot of stuff I loved recently but the guff has started to outweigh the good stuff for me tbh.

Danielson Page was fantastic. While I loved both matches I think it's the Danielson build since his debut that made it. Every match he won with a different move, he's a wrestling machine that can win with any move and it's just really exciting. Every wrestler should have multiple finishers as it would make the false finishes actually believable as you already know anything could be the finish. His vicious streak was also very fun.

Also (hopefully this gif works)
    Bryan-Danielson-jumping-jacks-aew.gif

You're right about the buckshot - the hit is great but the setup is so contrived. I like a finisher you can hit out of nowhere.

The Punk MJF stuff has also been class. Punk DQing MJF to ruin (for the moment) title charge was just perfect. Plus the continuing face turn with Wardlow on top has been a great little addition on top.

The rest of it, I dunno, it's just lost the sparkle. Feels phoned in but at the same time has got too complicated. Multiple people feuding with multiple people at the same time for what feels like no reason. Malachi black is feuding with the variety blonds and death triangle at the same time, Andrade is feuding with sting and Darby who are also feuding with the acclaimed, plus whatever Cody is doing. It's a mess and I've lost track of what's happening.

Every segment is getting interrupted too. According to what culture there were 18 interruptions on Wednesday. 18! It's like a parody of wrestling. We all laughed at wwe for having every match end with a roll up or a dq but now AEW is doing it in every segment with interruptions and brawls.

They're also recycling feuds quite a lot now. I've seen orange cassidy vs Adam Cole and Britt Baker vs Statlander. Same with Dante Martin and Team Taz. They lost, I don't need to see it again.

It was nice to see Lance Archer back and I am kinda interested in him vs Hangman. And depending on what happens with Danielson and whatever Mox does when he returns I'll probably be back.
  • I guess for me the rest of it as you out it is the stuff which generally puts me off aew.

The thing with recycling feuds is odd because I'd agree and yet I feel some of the top line feuds end way too quickly. Page vs danielson was great but very quick. Punk Kingston was the same. That's not to say they don't do long term but some of the really good stuff I feel I haven't seen enough of and other stuff feels like it's been on repeat for ages.

SFV - reddave360
  • I'd agree too much of it isn't hitting. I still think it's a good wrestling show but some of it is leaving me really cold.

The Malakai Black stuff is WWE style nonsense. He was such a killer when he first came into the company and he's just fucking piffle at the minute. I hate all the black mist stuff. I hate that level of mystic goofyness in wrestling.

I'm probably the only person but I'm not into this Paragon/Young Bucks thing. I like Cole, he annoys me sometimes with his total no selling (see rampage? Piledriven on the apron, back in control 30 seconds later with no neck issues) but I could not give one flying fuck about this eventual feud between Red Dragon and the Bucks. It's not a dream match to me, I appreciate they are good wrestlers, but they have loads of good wrestlers and they lack spark, it's not doing it for me at all. I hope to fuck they don't sign Gargano, Tony Neese and Lethal were bad enough.

I didn't like that Dante signed a contract with team Taz the reigned on it 2 weeks later. That's also some bad fucking story telling where they've completely disregarded the details.

The Lucha Bro's title reign and Sammy's reign were poor as fuck. Sammy did nothing, and the Bro's had a less than spectacular feud with FTR and.....that's it, no meat to the reign. Was expecting great things with Sanata and Ortiz and a re-match with the Bucks etc. But, nah. Nowt.

There's still good stuff. Hook is fucking amazing. John Silver and Andrade's backstage stuff is always welcome and makes me crack a smile. The Danielson/Hangman and Punk/MJF stuff has been excellent. Darby, Dante, Garcia, Sting are all fun to watch. I also feel like they've made some great strides with the women. I've really enjoyed the Deeb/Shida stuff, the no DQ tag match on Rampage last week with of all people the Bunny was a banger, Statlander has improved tons, and I enjoyed Britt and Riho. Though I don't rate Ruby at all like, I think she's been poor.

This is a good wrestling promotion but outside the occasional match it never feels like it's going to be utterly great.

...oh sign the Briscoes though.
  • Ah you're not wrong with any of that. Just a shit time to be increasing the price when the show is not particularly hot. Last year I would absolutely have carried on paying.

That's Mustafa Ali requested his release. Hopefully he gets it as it would be good to see him doing anything.
  • That's an excellent post Dogfingers, covers most of my thoughts on AEW at the minute.  It's certainly cooled off over the last couple of months even if it still has some fantastic stuff carrying the show through the boring/puzzling bits.

Black in particular has been a real shame.  I only have so much patience for a bloke being all mysterious and speaking in riddles but not really achieving anything.  Hopefully the ball's finally rolling now.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • The success of the Undertaker has a lot to answer for. Black is a more than solid personality and wrestler to ditch the black Magic BS. I'm all for him using the mysterious persona as a psychology warfare ploy but magic mist and teleportation can get in the bin
    SFV - reddave360
  • Undertaker's story is quite funny - I hate this undertaker schtick, let me be myself

two mins later

put that fucking hat back on.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    The success of the Undertaker has a lot to answer for. Black is a more than solid personality and wrestler to ditch the black Magic BS. I'm all for him using the mysterious persona as a psychology warfare ploy but magic mist and teleportation can get in the bin

Yeah, I don't mind it so long as it can be easily explained away.

Imagine it's really hard to put together an intricate mysterious story in wrestling given how much things can change week to week, especially in Covid times, but those stories hardly ever seem to work and just peter out.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about the Wyatts.  Ooh, what are these creeps up to!?  ...Nothing really.  Just irritating wrestlers and losing matches
  • We should have realised Bray was dead when Vince admitted he didn't get why it was over. It doesn't fucking matter. It's over. Fucking run with it.
  • Of everyone who's been released in the last year or so, that's the one I can't get my head around.
  • What's your current favourite entrance music?

I really like FTRs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!