Pro Wrestling
  • Watching Bound for Glory, I dont think I've watched TNA since Mickie was last there but it's not really changed all that much. I find it odd that it has this really dedicated fanbase yet it's very much WWE Lite.

I've tuned in occasionally, its sometimes enjoyable and sometimes utter guff. I really like Moose and Josh Alexander.
  • Back in 08-11 I was watching every episode of Impact, as well as Smackdown/Raw/ECW/Superstars and ROH when that was on HDNet. Plus the PPV's as well. It was a mental amount of wrestling, but TNA had a special place mostly due to the X Division stars.

They've a whole bunch of people that I care about there, but I'm not sure I can put myself through it every week. Maybe if there's a Knockouts edit.
  • Back in 08-11 I was watching every episode of Impact, as well as Smackdown/Raw/ECW/Superstars and ROH when that was on HDNet. Plus the PPV's as well. It was a mental amount of wrestling, but TNA had a special place mostly due to the X Division stars. They've a whole bunch of people that I care about there, but I'm not sure I can put myself through it every week. Maybe if there's a Knockouts edit.

I used to really enjoy it. I can't remmeber the year but I started the era of the Paprazzi skits with Nash and the X Division. There was some rubbish but it generally used to be a blast with great matches with the likes of Beer Money, MCMG, Lethal, LAX, Angle, Joe etc. When Bischoff and Hogan came in it fell off a fucking cliff and I gave up.

ROH was probably my favourite promotion around then. Loved the McGuiness run, he's probably one of the most under appreciated wrestlers in the last 2 decades. Saw a couple of live shows on my wrestlemania excursions, one in particular had the lads from Dragon Gate over and to this day it's the best match I've ever seen live (2008 I think). Had a lot of time for Davey Richards as well. I specifically subscribed to independant Wrestling TV last month to watch him wrestle Daniel Garcia. Good stuff.
  • I watched the weekly TV until Victory Road 2011, then went PPV only. Rave, in absolute disgust, never watched a single TNA match again.

Oddly enough, McGuinness was looking to be one of the best things in TNA until those dickheads turned up. His feud with Angle was phenomenal, it looked like he was going to become one of the biggest stars in the company, and then they turned up and brought all their mates in.

I got to see him on his retirement tour in this match, showing he could do absolute nonsense brilliantly as well:

I got a picture with him and Disco Madness, the only time I think I've ever paid for a wrestler picture, where he agreed to wear a Zack Ryder headband.

fZUnZod.jpg
  • what happened to the UK wrestling which was picking up some momentum?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I watched the weekly TV until Victory Road 2011, then went PPV only. Rave, in absolute disgust, never watched a single TNA match again. Oddly enough, McGuinness was looking to be one of the best things in TNA until those dickheads turned up. His feud with Angle was phenomenal, it looked like he was going to become one of the biggest stars in the company, and then they turned up and brought all their mates in. I got to see him on his retirement tour in this match, showing he could do absolute nonsense brilliantly as well: I got a picture with him and Disco Madness, the only time I think I've ever paid for a wrestler picture, where he agreed to wear a Zack Ryder headband. fZUnZod.jpg

Totally, Wolf/McGuniess was awesome and when they turned up they did nothing with him. Who's the guy sat of the floor? Looks like Gabe Kidd but maybe wrong.
    mk64 wrote:
    what happened to the UK wrestling which was picking up some momentum?

2 things.

1) NXT UK paid everyone 15K per year to stop wrestling from other promotions essentially making it hard for companies to book long term.
    2) It was full of Paedophiles and rapists

Positively there are some steps in the right direction. Hoping to go to rev pro again at some point. I really like the Young Guns team, RKJ, Callum Newman has potential. And hopefully once the UK has better covid figures (lol) the New Japan Guys will get back over and doing some shows with the Brits.
  • It's Mad Man Manson, but yeah I can see the resemblance.
  • I may have timelines wrong but by the time mcguinness gets to tna isnt he physically really suffering so was not nearly able to contribute as much as he could?

Theres a period (i think) before hogan shows up and before russo really deep dives the more crazy angles up where tna was quite entertaining. They had some great talent and i thought it was much better than ecw had ever been (granted thats based of watching tna as it happened and seeing ecw on mismatch tapes).

You had Joe, AJ, motorcity machine guns, beer money, angle, jarrett, abyss, gail kim, awesome kong and loads more. I always thought they never showed enough faith in their original talent and too ofteb would get behind the latest import. But still, a fun promotion for a while
    SFV - reddave360
  • No. He lost a WWE contract because they insisted an old injury he had needed surgery, but he couldn't afford to have it, and they wouldn't pay for it.

The doctors he had seen said he didn't need surgery, and TNA were willing to give him a contract. Later on he was diagnosed with Hep B, which is what effectively ended his career.
  • Ah, i was mixing things there so. Did the hep b thing happen when he started the tag team with magnus? Always felt they were underused and couldnt figure out why.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah they were gonna have a title shot against the Motor City Machine Guns, then he disappeared with no explanation.
  • 1) NXT UK paid everyone 15K per year to stop wrestling from other promotions essentially making it hard for companies to book long term.
    eh? What happened? Dont think i saw any of this on wrestlelamia et al
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    1) NXT UK paid everyone 15K per year to stop wrestling from other promotions essentially making it hard for companies to book long term.
    eh? What happened? Dont think i saw any of this on wrestlelamia et al

That would be one edgy storyline to be fair.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You shouldn't see anything on Wrestlelamia.

There is a lot to go through, but here's a primer.
  • Wow I missed all of that
  • Weird. That's ROH released every single wrestler from their contracts effective the end of the year. Apparently they can start working for other promotions immediately.

ROH was cool back in the day but don't think I know any of the current roster apart from Danhausen.
  • There are some solid guys but the product is dead, just lifeless. Brody King, Dragon Lee, Bandido and absolutely Johnathan Gresham all worthy signings.
  • 6YjOLMW.png

Makes sense. It's been a zombie company for a while.
  • Quality womens match on Dynamite this week and great show overall for me.
  • I'm looking forward to that as Serena Deeb is really great. I think she should win the whole thing tbh.

I've been struggling for time these days so I've only watched the Moxley squash and the main event. Will catch up with the rest of Dynamite over the next day or so.

The slow mox heel turn is great and the main event had me giggling away. Just really entertaining stuff all round. Also the little seeds they're planting between Adam Cole and Kenny Omega are great and I'm really looking forward to how that pays off.
  • Danielson Kingston was an absolute banger on Rampage this week. Really enjoyed that.

Now looking forward to Mox murdering orange cassidy on Wednesday to set up the final at full gear. No idea how that's going to go but it's going to be great whatever happens.

Also
    Spoiler:

I'm excited for Full Gear now.
  • Just watched Danielson Kingston. Everything I love about wrestling. In contention for AEWs match of the year.
  • Moxley has been removed from AEW for the immediate future and checked into rehab. Hope he recovers. One of the best promos in the biz.
  • Good luck to the great man!

Picked up his new book last night - only read a little, but it reads like it's been transcribed directly from the dictaphone onto the page.  Not sure if I'll find it endearing or maddening.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I’m getting it for Christmas, reviews have been very good. I like the way there is no ghost writer.
  • Lionel Blair aged 92. Seemed to be on every TV show when I was a kid.

I promise you it's worth clicking on this link

Has... Has Moxley actually based his whole gimmick on Wolf from gladiators?
  • Frosty wrote:
    Lionel Blair aged 92. Seemed to be on every TV show when I was a kid.
    I promise you it's worth clicking on this link
    Has... Has Moxley actually based his whole gimmick on Wolf from gladiators?

I thought he had based it on Lionel Blair, who wouldn't?

Shit ton of WWE releases just happened.
  • Maybe the plan is to release Jax into AEW to injure the entire womens division.
  • who's been released?
  • Terrible. WWE really sucks. It's amazing how badly they fucked up booking some of these wrestlers.

How do you fuck up booking Kieth Lee? He's incredible. He also almost died a few months ago and only just came back with a new gimmick and now he and Mia Yim are out the door.

Same with Carrion Cross. He's the champ, has this great entrance with Scarlett and an unbeaten run but instead of making him seem good have him lose to Jeff Hardy in 2 minutes and look like a joke.

Sometimes it feels like wwe are doing this to spite themselves just to fuck over NXT and anyone who was big there. Just pretend it doesn’t exist for unknown reasons.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!