The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • poprock wrote:
    I worry that we’re heading beyond fun blockbuster stuff towards crazy complex comics stuff, and that Marvel could lose a lot of its audience going too far into geek territory. Me included. Hope they can prove me wrong though.

I thought this about Iron Lad. Is that really going to fly (HAHA) with casual fans of Iron Man?

It's one thing introducing quirky (but still human-archetypal) characters like GotG and getting people to like them, quite another replacing the hugely successful and beloved characters from the previous films with weird time-travelling facsimiles.

Nothing lasts forever, even Marvel money-making machines, but it's going to be interesting to see them try to pull this off
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The multiverse thing does at least give a lot of leeway to reintroduce characters and backstories should they be needed. Sure, we’ve met a version of X, but if there’s a new version of X in a different film, they will be slightly different in ways that mean that they will need to be reintroduced, and those hardcore fans get to compare the different versions of the character.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I highly doubt any of the Disney Plus stuff will be necessary to watch the films. It's there to flesh things out for people who want that. Anyone who watches "that new Marvel film innit" will be fine.

It wasn't necessary to watch Clone Wars to watch Solo but there was still a viscerally negative reaction to plot points from it turning up in Solo.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I didn't watch Solo (or Clone Wars for that matter). What was the issue in that?
  • I think Iron Man popped up at the end of Solo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • poprock wrote:
    I worry that we’re heading beyond fun blockbuster stuff towards crazy complex comics stuff, and that Marvel could lose a lot of its audience going too far into geek territory. Me included. Hope they can prove me wrong though.

I'm worried about that too.  Having said that, I was concerned about that going into Infinity War and they seemed to get away with it.
    Gremill wrote:
    Hawkeye has the potential to be great if they're adapting the Matt Fraction run 'My Life As A Weapon'.

I'm pretty sure I read that they're riffing on the Matt Fraction run.  Not only is Kate Bishop confirmed, but more importantly, so is Pizza-Dog...
  • I highly doubt any of the Disney Plus stuff will be necessary to watch the films. It's there to flesh things out for people who want that. Anyone who watches "that new Marvel film innit" will be fine.

Yeah, my concern is more that ‘that new Marvel film innit’ will be well complex and geeky itself. I tapped out around Civil War and Ultron, feeling they got too wrapped up in ‘X that happened to Y in film Z’ (although, admittedly, Marvel really came through with Infinity War and Endgame. Loved those.)
  • I didn't watch Solo (or Clone Wars for that matter). What was the issue in that?
    Darth Maul shows up out of nowhere. Unless you’ve seen some cartoon or other where he comes back, you would have last seen him cut in half and falling down a giant hole.
  • I admit, I fell asleep during Solo. All sorts of characters could have randomly appeared for all I noticed.
  • monkey wrote:
    I didn't watch Solo (or Clone Wars for that matter). What was the issue in that?
    Darth Maul shows up out of nowhere. Unless you’ve seen some cartoon or other where he comes back, you would have last seen him cut in half and falling down a giant hole.

Oh right. I mean, killing him was dumb, so great. Did they just act like nothing had happened, or did someone ask him "arent you dead?"
  • It’s only a blink and you’ll miss it thing. He turns up on some hologram projection talking to, erm, someone. Setting up a sequel that won’t happen.
  • Yeah, it didn’t matter at all. And the film he died in was so long ago nobody remembered anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just assumed that Solo took place before the Phantom Menace.
  • monkey wrote:
    It’s only a blink and you’ll miss it thing. He turns up on some hologram projection talking to, erm, someone. Setting up a sequel that won’t happen.

Ok. I would really hope Marvel are not that stupid.

Pop, its not that we didn't remember, we tried to forget.
  • To be fair the Maul bit is right at the end (post credits?) and if you didn't know he survived from the cartoons it would have been a suprise but one that would be expected to be explained later.
  • Given the Feige/MCU’s track record, and how many fantastic pay offs they put into End Game that had been seeded about a dozen films prior, I have complete faith that the multiverse plot will be completely understandable from just viewing the mainline films, but sprinkled with extra references for those who watched the TV shows etc.

If it was DCU it’d be incomprehensible garbage that they would still spend 30 mins of boring dialogue trying to explain, and it would still be incoherent garbage anyway.
  • Yeh Loki was good.
    It felt just like a Dr Who series to me, especially with all the English actors in it.
    The yanks love a bit of Who don’t they? Well they’ve kinda got their own now.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • double post
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Interestingly i have just read that Loki was intended to run as a 12 episode1 shot and done. But covid fucked that up. So the stories already written just needs filming.

And that means the finale wasn’t the actual finale.

So a lort mors you know who…….yas
    PSN - minkymu
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Yeh Loki was good.
    It felt just like a Dr Who series to me, especially with all the English actors in it.
    The yanks love a bit of Who don’t they? Well they’ve kinda got their own now.

Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So have skipped all the posts and binged the last 4 episodes of Loki and it is easily the best series Disney have done with the Marvel franchise.

It had a coherent plot that made sense within its own rules, solid acting from all the cast (except child Loki), a well realised “enemy” at the end, and a great character arc for the Hiddleston.

I could fault some of it. The action, for Marvel, was quite weak and there was some dodgy dialogue in places but overall this felt like a quality show and definitely glad I wasn’t watching it week to week. Roll on season 2.

I also think I’ve fallen in love with Slyvi (was that with an e?).

Now I’ll go back and no doubt read about how shit it really is.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well I’ve dodged through all the Black Widow stuff and come to the conclusion that you all pretty much agree with me on Loki. Well done chaps.
  • Just realised that the end of Loki series one means the overall storyline for the next MCU phase will basically be the plot of Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • That is no bad thing. My favourite lego game. The only problem is they won't have Peter Serafinowicz for the voice.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Why not? He did the voice for Darth Maul without playing the character.
  • Why not? He did the voice for Darth Maul without playing the character.

I'm guessing they will stick with Jonathan majors normal voice but who knows.? Maybe each version of kang gets a different voice
    SFV - reddave360
  • Everything should replace someones voice with Peter Serafinowicz.
  • What if…. Episode 1 is pretty great. Superb art atyle
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!