adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’ve been watching some YouTube videos of Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal promoting All of Us Strangers and have seen a lot of people in the comments raving about Aftersun. Will have to check it out.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Put me down as someone who does and will rave about Aftersun. Warning: it is probably getting to hyped status for you? Try not to expect the best thing ever and you’ll enjoy it more. I loved it. Gave it a 10 I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It’s on iPlayer!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's still with me the next day.

Father of daughters. It's crushingly sad.

It was on BBC3 during the week.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Aftersun is stronger in my mind now, months after seeing it. I think it very cleverly tries to visualise feelings that would be difficult to even put into words. All of Us Strangers does something similar, also successfully. I never really rated Andrew Scott before, possibly because he's more of a stage actor and I haven't seen him in that much, but he gives a pretty stellar performance here.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I watched Aftersun last weekend, and yes, thought it was very good. Understated sadness.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    21. The Meg
    A few decent moments aside, this is a bad film. Some of the performances are other worldly awful, no doubt in part due to dreadful dialogue and directing so no-one comes out of this looking good except maybe VFX team. Statham’s (yank?) accent is the worst I’ve heard it. There are several full on cringe moments throughout. Not even ‘remove brain, enjoy’ can save this. [3]
  • Heh. I watched it with friends while having pizza and stuff, kinda in the background, and we were taking the piss out of it constantly. That’s the kind of movie it is - background piss.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Coincidentally - Jaws.

First time in like three decades, but still bits I remember well enough, and still a fun watch. My daughter seemed to enjoy it, now to see if she sleeps tonight / ever wants to swim in an ocean...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Coincidentally - Jaws.

First time in like three decades, but still bits I remember well enough, and still a fun watch. My daughter seemed to enjoy it, now to see if she sleeps tonight / ever wants to swim in an ocean...

Still absolutely perfect. I love that movie so much.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • MI: Dead Reckoning
    Movie about a dangerous AI nearly bored me to death with it's terrible Chatgdp script.

I liked the Fiat 500 chase and the train action bit.
    The rest was god awful.
  • The bike stunt was way better in the behind the scenes footage. It got lost in CG in the movie.
  • Aye, I thought that too.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 8. The Kitchen
    British sci-fi dystopian social realism where the last housing estate in London, populated by underprivileged mostly non-white residents is under siege by the government who want to demolish it and get rid of the undesirables for whom it is the only community they know. Izi is trying to escape it when he stumbles across a newly orphaned boy who might be his son from an old relationship. This is an angry and defiant film that shows a not unrealistic possible future for the UK and is full of great performances - not least from Ian Wright who is brilliant as the resident pirate radio DJ who soundtracks the brilliantly realised world. A great debut from Daniel Kaluya. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    The bike stunt was way better in the behind the scenes footage. It got lost in CG in the movie.
    g.man wrote:
    Aye, I thought that too.

As an MI obsessive who thinks 2 is fucking amazing, I agree 100%
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    All of Us Strangers

Heartbreaking and life-affirming at the same time. Andrew Scott stands out but all four leads give entirely captivating performances that will linger in my mind for weeks to come - even more so because I grew up one town along from Sanderstead.

The best thing I’ve seen this year. Essential.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eyes Without a Face is a 60's oddity about a surgeon obsessed with replacing his daughter's face after an accident.  Beautifully shot with some gorgeous Parisian street scenes in sharp b&w.  Has a weird feel to it throughout (which is good by the way) and the ending feels slightly out of kilter with the rest of it. Still worth a watch. On BFI.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    MI: Dead Reckoning
    Movie about a dangerous AI nearly bored me to death with it's terrible Chatgdp script.

I liked the Fiat 500 chase and the train action bit.
    The rest was god awful.

The director keeps talking about a movie called The Train for his desire for making the train sequence and it sounds very good as France (I think) was changing track gauges and so had a bunch of trains and tracks that John Frankenheimer was allowed to trash and crash.
    I need to check it out.

I'm guessing g has seen it and can say whether it is actually good or not
  • They do blow an impressive amount of shit up in that one.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Kinda ignored movies last year but I’m gonna try to do 50 this year.

1 - Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - No review - 01/01/2024 - ★★★★☆
    2 - Saltburn (2023) - Review - 09/01/2024 - ★★★☆☆
    3 - Shin Godzilla (2016) - Review - 12/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    4 - Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017) - Review - 13/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    5 - Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (2018) - Review - 20/01/24 - ★★★☆☆
    6 - Teorema (1968) - Review - 25/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    7 - Bloodsport (1988) - Review - 26/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    8 - Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018) - Review - 27/01/24 - ★★★☆☆
    9 - King Kong (1933) - Review - 03/02/24 - ★★★★★
    10 - The Shop Around the Corner (1940) - Review - 04/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    11 - The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - Review - 08/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    12 - The Marvels (2023) - Review - 09/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    13 - Dune: Part One (2021) - Review - 10/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    14 - Casablanca (1942) - Review - 18/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    15 - Them (1954) - Review - 18/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    16 - The Zone of Interest (2023) - Review - 19/02/24 - ★★★★★
    17 - All of Us Strangers (2023) - Review - 19/02/24 - ★★★★★
    18 - Poor Things (2023) - Review - 20/02/24 - ★★★☆☆
    19 - The Taste of Things (2023) - Review - 21/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    20 - The Iron Claw (2023) - Review - 21/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    21 - Mandabi (1968) - Review - 22/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    22 - Aftersun (2022) - Review - 24/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    23 - Wonka (2023) - Review - 25/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    24 - In the Mood for Love (2000) - Review - 25/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    25 - Tokyo Decadence (1992) - Review - 25/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    26 - Shoshana (2023) - Review - 26/02/24 - ★★★☆☆
    27 - Evil Does Not Exist (2023) - Review - 26/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    28 - American Fiction (2023) - Review - 28/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    29 - The Holdovers (2023) - Review - 28/02/24 - ★★★★★

Updated my list. Almost 30 films in the first two months of the year must definitely be a personal record for me. Cinema visits can slow down a bit now as I’ve caught up with the films that were out when I took out the membership (ended up being a good thing I caught up so intensely as a ton of stuff is getting booted when Dune: Part Two comes out).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dune pt. 2

I don't see this changing the opinion of those who didn't like part 1.  The impact of seeing the universe for the first time is gone but this is a majestic film.

Some of the talent feels underused but there's so much to fit in that is inevitable. It's a towering achievement. I'm not blown away by it...as someone who read the book I'm not sure that is possible for me. Some of the reviews hype this up but that shouldn't take anything away from it.

Funnily enough the ending has real strong echoes of the Lynch version. This is really in a different league but it's a peep at what might have been with Lynch.

Will be going back for another watch. I reckon this will improve with a rewatch.
  • I hope the rewatch improves more than the repost did ;)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks like we are getting a pt3 by the way which will be from the 2nd book I haven't read. I'd rather it had tied things up the way the book did. Cheapened it a bit. But.... More to come which could be good and I may even read the 2nd book. I stayed away from it because the original book didn't need a sequel.
  • 9. Green Room
    Phenomenal. A hardcore punk band touring the Pacific north west has a gig fall through and to replace it, they book a support slot in a roadhouse deep in the forests of Oregon. Thing is, it's a clubhouse for the local branch of neo-nazi skinheads and when the band stumble onto a murder scene after their set they end up under siege in the green room. Brutal and incredibly tense, this was Anton Yelchins last film and he's brilliant in it, only surpassed by a superb turn by Patrick Stewart as the club owner and lead Nazi. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I love that they think it's a good idea to cover The Dead Kennedys' Nazi Punks Fuck Off. Proper punk thinking.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Platoon One of those I missed from way back and have somehow missed since. ('86? Dear me - I was 20 then). There's been a surfeit of this type of film but this one is likely still the most striking. The village scene is still genuinely shocking and dread inducing. A classy production all around but this starts the march of mainstream war films that are not done for entertainment.

Adagio for strings has since been probably over-used but it must have had a huge impact at the time it hit the cinema because it's still effective.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    The Gentlemen

At lot smarter than I was expecting a Guy Ritchie film to be.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    21 Grams As grim and depressing as it is engaging. I often wonder if presenting a tale split up like this instead of sequentially really makes a difference. There's enough going on in this to not require any cleverness in that respect.  It's a different experience piecing it together in the time shift style I suppose.

But it requires great performances and you get that here. Great stuff. One I missed in the early 00s no doubt because of having young kids at that time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!