Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Waving about isn't good.  Pull your feet back towards your head end a bit so they're partly underneath you, balls of the feet on the ground and pushing through the heels (but not able to actually touch the floor with heels).  Creates a more stable platform and sort of locks you to the bench.  Make sure your butt-ocks don't come off the bench, though they shouldn't if your setup is sound.  I'll find a video.

Plateaus are interesting conundrums.  My personal preference is to complete the target reps regardless, so if you are aiming for 3x5 and manage 5,5,4, re-rack the bar, rest briefly then knock another rep.  Or, if it was 4,4,3, knock out another 4 reps (doubles if need be).  Another method is to drop the weight by 10% and then move back up.  Ergo if you're benching 80, drop to 72.5 and work your way back to 80.  When you're pushing your current limit, form can start to suffer so by dropping back you can regain a feel for that solid form that'll get you past the sticking point.  Finally, some volume work (like 5x10 with 50% of your max) can help lock in good form and allows you to be explosive again.  Also, eat and sleep more if possible.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Eating is fine. Trying to get the sleep is difficult. Nigh on impossible with young kids.

I'll see how I do at weekend after maybe better sleep than last few days.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Im glad you mentioned about eating and sleeping in there, there are so many variants affecting training it would be hard to pin point why you missed a rep that you may have hit previously though rest and fuel are two massive factors. If I can recall I didnt eat enough or have had a particularly long day/week I dont stress about missing some here and there though if it becomes consistant or apparent that I cant do that rep I will drop down.

as it is, im going to migrate onto 5x3 from January.  Happy new year.... :(
  • My better sleep hasn't materialised. Yet.
  • Managed to push out 3x5 on 37.5kg OHP. YEAH BUDDDEEEEEE!!!

I think 4 minute rests between sets as opposed to 3 helped. Plus I got my mate to watch my form on warm ups and tell me where I'm going wrong. Still wasn't perfect form so I'll see how next session goes.
  • 4 minutes is a bit long IMO. 2-3 is cool if you're pushing relatively heavy weight, which obviously you should be on 3x5. What are you weighing mate? I think I may have asked you this before!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nearly broke the tip of my finger off re-racking on the squat today, with 70kg on the bar, fucking kills, but nail isn't black so hoping it's not broke.
  • Hulka T wrote:
    4 minutes is a bit long IMO. 2-3 is cool if you're pushing relatively heavy weight, which obviously you should be on 3x5. What are you weighing mate? I think I may have asked you this before!

Rippetoe says 4 minutes is too little for 3x5. Rest as long as you need to, especially for the upper body exercises. You're training for strength so you rest as long as you need to between sets in order to do in your 2nd and 3rd sets what you can do in your 1st.
    GT: Knight640
  • Im not Rippetoe, Im HULK!!!!!!

I know what youre saying though and in principle I agree you should take as long as your need but 4 minutes is what I would expect to see on insane DL or squats. Hence I was asking for bodyweight to get a gauge of what was happening.

You still training? Bet you aint eating your chicken like I said!
  • I weigh 74kg. I've been resting 2 minutes between sets. Upped it to 3 minutes now as I'm finding things harder. Rested 3 mins after 1 set of OHP then accidentally (got chatting to friend!) 4 minutes after 2nd set. 

Probably not the rest, probably better sleep in morning and better eating pattern today that helped. Last time I went was after work, weekends are usually better I find
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hi there.  What do you want to do today?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Hello. 

You wants to be building muscle all over. Never make the mistake of thinking you only need it on arms and chest. Legs are important.  (Unless of course you already have big muscular thighs.)

Check out Starting Strength by Rippetoe, I only recently read it and found it extremely helpful. I'm seeing more muscle on me and changes in physical appearance. It's not geared towards building lots of muscle but building strength, but you'll put on some anyway. 

Then at some point you can switch to a program that particularly favours building more muscle.
  • In other news, I managed 3x5 of 65kg on bench on Wednesday. I weigh 74kg. 

Deadlift 85kg, still going up
    Squat 77.5, still going up
    Bench 65kg, plateauing
    Press 37.5kg, need to perfect form still.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yer.  Think whole body, not just bits of it.  Compound exercises (presses, deadlifts, squats, chins) not isolation exercises.  If you dig around you'll find a Starting Strength copy somewheres...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good elf, Elf.

I can manage 15 straight chins on the Olympic Rings, go me.
  • Wow. I haven't been trying much straight chins. Doing assisted ones at the moment until I get much stronger lats and bis.
  • I love seeing other peoples training, I made a point of tearing up people's training diaries when I started training them. It holds you back more than anything. On everything apart from deadlifting and squatting do one set to warm up then 4/5 sets doing as many 6-10 reps with the heaviest weight you can manage. Only way to train.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I been doing that, though you are a mutant Vere and not restricted like mortal man.  Been doing 20 rep squats every non-squat session too, me quads is expanding rapidly.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I been doing that, though you are a mutant Vere and not restricted like mortal man.  Been doing 20 rep squats every non-squat session too, me quads is expanding rapidly.

It's just the best way to train,it's ace. And you don't waste time on weights that you know you can do and totally waste time and energy on.

Good work with the squats, I gotta do my calfs every session, though they still don't grow. Quads and hams grow, calfs just stay the same. Bastards. Though I still think Hill-Sprints are the most important part of leg training, it's immemse what you get from them. I'd still do Hill Training sessions for clients if I had the insurance.

It'd be ace if we could do a session together,tried shoulder DB pressing 75's if anything to feel the weight and take the neg for memory, wow that was a bad idea, did one, shat out a lung and the noise dropping the second was insane...but it was invigorating.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I can't even fathom that last sentence.  My boned shoulder (getting much better via pilates) has killed any pressing movements.  When I heal I'll be back down to 50kg OHP and crying about it.

Hill sprints are fab and I have found a perfect hill on which to do them, so I'll be back into that after Xmas.

Re: training together, I dunno... I suspect you doing warmups with my 1RM would crush my piddling ego.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I can't even fathom that last sentence.  My boned shoulder (getting much better via pilates) has killed any pressing movements.  When I heal I'll be back down to 50kg OHP and crying about it.

Hill sprints are fab and I have found a perfect hill on which to do them, so I'll be back into that after Xmas.

Re: training together, I dunno... I suspect you doing warmups with my 1RM would crush my piddling ego.

That's a good OHP though as you'll be doing it perfectly. I struggle with perfect OHP, military press etc as I just don't have the flexibility to hit form, gotta do DB's as the individual pressure and ease of movement means I can touch my shoulders and get the right depth.

Hill Sprints are just the best, you don't even have to do many or for long!! Just put 100% in to a few and you're golden.

Ahh you know as well as I training isn't about what weights you throw about, it's about watching 'dat form' and technique, you always need to pick up the heaviest weights you can do, if you can do them right. I hardly lift much with my biceps and get people asking why I do so little with them and so much on everything else, they're small muscles that when worked to full extension will be done in little time due to the pump and exhaustion in them. Get them to do one set right on the almighty single arm DB preacher to full flat extension and bingo, penny drops, they're missing 4" a rep, using their body weight to move it AND putting 30% of the work through their shoulder, pussies.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Aye, technique eludes so many.  I've been watching people doing KB swings 'American' style which is, frankly, wank.  Speaking of which, I'm toying with the idea of switching to double KB OHP when I start OHP again.  Something about the lockout feels more solid and I like the tension at the top.

On technique and weight getting too heavy for good form, I'm reaching a point with front squats where I'm just starting to drift forward, so more core work to stabilise I think.  I'm doing pilates every day (which is fucking hard by the way, mainly cos of the rep ranges being around 40) which is helping a heap with that.  It's also helped my shoulder mobility (plus the stretching) so I expect my OHP form will better than it was.  The stretch where you place you palm high against the wall and lean into the wall, that really sorts me out.

Love my hill sprints, I'd do 10 with a minute rest in between at my peak.  Think I'll start again with 5.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm lazy with hill sprints but they still work. Sprint up, walk down, 10 reps. I find I'm faster on the last one than on the first normally.
  • I cant find a hill near me so i do it on the stairs :(
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:

You'd love it.

Skev.jpg
  • Super wide suicide grip, eh?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I love seeing other peoples training, I made a point of tearing up people's training diaries when I started training them. It holds you back more than anything. On everything apart from deadlifting and squatting do one set to warm up then 4/5 sets doing as many 6-10 reps with the heaviest weight you can manage. Only way to train.

How does keeping a training diary hold you back?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    You'd love it. Skev.jpg
    The horror.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    I love seeing other peoples training, I made a point of tearing up people's training diaries when I started training them. It holds you back more than anything. On everything apart from deadlifting and squatting do one set to warm up then 4/5 sets doing as many 6-10 reps with the heaviest weight you can manage. Only way to train.

How does keeping a training diary hold you back?

Because 99% of people who use them are only limited by them. What does it tell you? It tells you what you did on a certain day in terms of weight and reps, what does that mean in the scheme of things? Nothing, the only thing that really matters should be the last set you did on each exercise. Because that should really be what you start on next time, or very near.

Every day you go in the gym your body is in a significantly different state due to a number of factors, most of which you don't have much control over. Your aim should be to go in every day and give a 100% of what you have that day. People with diaries tend to just stick to exactly what they did previous or very very close when you should be doing anew order and different exercises so what does it even tell you?. It should be a new challenge every day to do with technique, speed and weight. Referring to a diary slows you down far too much. You know what body part you're doing all day, you should know what exercises you're doing when you step in the gym, and you should start by picking up the heaviest weight or best weight you can and go from there, too heavy today then go down, too light then go up etc. A diary will hold you back and means so very very little.

You should know 10/15 exercises per part that work for you, just you, who gives a shite about anyone else, choose 4/5 a day for whatever you're doing and go in and arsehole them. One exercise, done bang on to the next, if anything a diary should say all the things you already know, best chest press, best squat, best dead etc.

Diaries hold you back, if you look at the biggest or leanest or whateverist people at the gym you admire I can bet my arsehole they do not have a diary, they've got a goal and each day they give 100% if what they have that day to get there.

I worked for many years as a PT so while this is of course just my opinion...it's right.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!