War(T)Frame

• Crying. I need to watch iflynn to actually understand, but  thats how you do a vid.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I legit snort-laughed a couple of times.

In other news, DE have released a PS5 trailer showing some very cool side-by-sides with the PS4 version. I've barely approached lukewarm in regards to the next console gen, but substantial upgrades to games I'm committed to long-term, like Warframe, Destiny 2, and Overwatch, might be enough to tempt me. 

• Great frame, btw. And testament to the depth of this game is watching above vid and then iflynn.

The difference between what was happening on screen plus discussions of what different things you could do with equinox, plus the way her abilities work (ie a lot of needing/being able to switch between things) is insane.

Re rolled dread last night too. Already have my 125% crit chance. Ooooh yeaaah.
  • Love that they're so excited by the haptic feedback, and I really wanna see what they can do with it.

Dammit, I'm starting to want a PS5.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Might give this a go over Christmas. Even though I’ve heard it’s hard to get into
  • The game itself doesn't do handholding, but I'd be happy to jump in and offer some laid-back support and beginners tips if you do give it a go, Boris.

If you can see the potential through the early confusion (it took me about three attempts over two years) and are prepared to commit to it, you'll find a bewilderingly deep and rewarding action game just waiting to sweep you away.
  • And I can give you the even noobier version if stormy is too hardcore.

It doesn't handhold, but also there's an awful lot of stuff that you can just see early on and go, sure, later for that.

I'm 200+ hrs in and still know nothing about arcane stuff. And don't really care.

And just playing early will net you so much materials that there's a few things that when you finally bother to wiki them you'll get straight away.

Strongly suggest picking a dollar amount to spend on plat to get an extra frame or two if you're enjoying it. Once you're rolling, minimal spend required.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Any recommended videos I can watch for noobies?
  • Honestly, most of the actual beginners guides I've seen are a dry mess of stat and systems explanations that'll bore you rigid. Maybe Face has come across something better?

To give you a decent impression of what the game is about, something like Skill Up's review is worth a watch. There are a few inaccuracies, and at only 70 hours in when he made this he still had a wealth of things to experience, including all of the more challenging content and the cinematic story quests, plus there's been three years of content updates since then. But he gets it.

And like Face says, there's plenty of stuff you can leave 'til later. Start with the basics, and you'll learn as you go.
  • Yeah, I'd suggest that and the other I posted a few pages back.
  • Facewon wrote:
    https://youtu.be/gbHFGE4Siow This is quite a good vid for those who may wonder about the game and what to expect.
  • Mr11. Woot. Titania's 4 to the rescue again.
  • Oh shit yeah, that Raycevick vid was really good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers fellas
  • Good session tonight.

Finished off the second alad v quest.

Maxed equinox prime and rerolled dread. (going again on it because I have wukong and other weapons and now it starts with 22 mod points and 4 5 polarised slots, it's basically ridic immediately.)

Finally did all missions on phobos. Including that archwing rush mission. Thanks to a random, so I still don't know what it wants.

Also, 215hrs into the game, I did my first defection mission. Pretty cool. Not sure I'd grind it, but sure.

Got 2 quests wanting juggernaut kills now. Meh.
  • Good stuff! Jealous of that Equinox Prime, and yeah I'm the same with Defections.

Infested Invasions are a great place to try for Juggernauts. Just load in and kill stuff, when enough blood has been spilled a Juggernaut has a good chance of spawning. You'll get a voice line to let you know if one's hunting you.  

I've found the Phorid assassination missions really good for this. Plus, you get Nyx blueprints from killing the boss.
  • Wukong be like....

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
  • He's hella fun.
  • Yep, will go that route just to mix it up. Did a bunch of Eris last night.

Ya boy is selling wares on Pluto, btw.

Already nabbed a mod and I'm grabbing the mod resource booster once I've seimeini'd a couple more times.

I swear it's incredible how some of these frames work .

Some of them have enough going on for a whole other game's SP campaign.

Also, one thing I'll diverge from that racavik vid on. He suggests getting Boar early and kinda skips over bows.

It's a minor quibble, and you'll grind all weapons,but man, give bows their reapect. FFS.

The weapon of kings.

Boar is fine fun, and he's right rifles are a bit meh. (Soma is pretty fucking great though).
  • That's the thing innit, there's such variety with the weapons and so many truly unique options that there's gonna be something for everyone. And what suits one might not suit another.

I've got a friend who loved the automatics in this, and personally, I'm a melee main who uses ranged weapons sparingly. And it's all good.

And you're absolutely spot on about the frames. Most of 'em could easily carry a single player campaign on their own. The variety in their attributes, abilities, and playstyles is just mind boggling, and can often make it feel like you're playing a different game.

Oh, and I've finally got Wukong building. Hype!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Christ even the videos had me lost lol. I’m downloading and gonna try it out later today. I’m assuming there’s a load of SP stuff you can do to figure out if you are gonna like it?
  • Aye, there's an introduction mission and opening quest, but honestly they don't begin to explain even a fraction of the game's workings. After that you just get thrown into a wide-open, non-linear, mission-based, complex as all fuck experience with nary a hint o' guidance. 

The early content is super easy to blast through though, so just have a play around and see if you get on with the basics. Most of the game can be played solo, but you can turn on auto-matchmaking if you want it.

I'm around today and would be happy to jump in and try and answer any questions you have, even if it's just in a PSN party. But no worries if you wanna fly solo for a while.

One thing I would add before you start; after you've loaded up and watched the phenomenal opening cinematic you'll get a choice of one of three Warframes to pick from (others can be earned in-game, or bought outright if you like). Excalibur is the most popular for a reason, and he'll come in handy for certain content throughout your time with the game.
  • I'll co sign that. Although volt is fun.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Stormy. Think I’ll bumble around on my Tod for a bit.
  • No worries, mate. I'm loading up anyway to hunt for argon crystals, just holler if you want some company.
  • How did you go @b0r1s?

Just got Loki building. Beat Alad V too. Not sure I ended the quest, but unlocked and completed his Assassination Mission.

Annoying as fuck that I did my jugger kills with Jordas as open quest instead of Inaros. Now I need to kill more of the fucking things.

Am I right in saying that the Nyx/Loki assassination missions are from the same node and alternate? I just need chassis for Nyx now.

Remaxed Dread. I still can't get it to same damage as Cernos. They're damn near identical in mods. 

Very close to having all planets completed I reckon. just need to jolly co-op some of the later ones with the mission types that suck ass solo.
  • Invasions appear on random nodes so it may well be that you can get Nyx and Loki from the same one. I've never had an Infested Invasion on that node myself.

I'm not really sure about the differences in baseline stats between Dread and Cernos, and whether you'd need to run different mods to get the best of each of them. I'll look into it.
  • Right, the main difference you're seeing in damage is due to the weapon's inherent physical damage types and Warframe's lack of deeper info at first glance on the stat page. You really need to hover over every damage aspect to see their specific modifiers, get a calculator out, then make a spreadsheet of damage vs every enemy type if you want the full story. Then do it all again every time you level up a mod or switch one out. And yeah okay that's probably why the stat block is the way it is.

Cernos does slightly more base damage, but it's primarily Impact damage. Impact causes knockback and gives a +50% bonus versus shields, but actually does -25% damage versus flesh and cloned flesh. 

Dread deals primarily Slash damage - considered the strongest of the three physical damage types, with +50% damage versus infested flesh, and +25% damage versus flesh and cloned flesh. It deals -50% damage against alloy armour, and -25% against robotics, but this is so easily remedied with the corrosive mods everyone runs anyway (or by using Saryn) that it's not really a consideration for most players. Slash also procs the bleed status effect, doing extra damage over time vs flesh.

Besides that, Dread has a higher crit chance and a slightly higher status chance, and this all adds up to a weapon that deals far more average damage than Cernos regardless of what the stat block says. In fact, Dread is considered superior to Cernos Prime even, with only the Red Veil's Ratka Cernos matching it. 

But hey, this is Warframe. For most content it's not gonna matter and your Cernos will still one-shot normal enemies with ease. It's the harder end-game content like late star-chart Nightmare missions, Kuva Lich missions, Elite Sanctuary Onslaught, Arbitrations, and The Index where you'll see the difference. 

Just remember to take that stat block with a pinch of salt, it doesn't always tell the whole story.
  • Edit: Spotted a couple of errors on that spreadsheet. Deleted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!