@daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    yeh aiming down sights, yoss never fails to make me smile though.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Right, so because I think what has been shown is uninteresting and not "fantastic", "amazing", "lovely", "awesome" and all the other synonyms thrown at it I'm a doom monger?

emperor-mistaken.jpg

Mod74 wrote:
    You fucking sadster fanboys.

fulfill-your-destiny-thumb.jpg

:D
    Believe!
  • Shyam, how comes you're so much better at posting on a forum about video games than playing video games?
    GT: Knight640
  • Oh no she di'n't!
  • @Knight

Well you know it's like this, I belie...just SHUT UP!11!! ;P

Halo 3 >>> Halo 4.

@Yoss

After the Halo meet-up, I did well in my exam. What does that mean? Can we haz Halo-Meet V. 02 soon? Kthxbai

@Tiger

I see you.

@Thread

I generally dislike iron-sights, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays.

Also, some real talk: Real Men of Genius Pogo across the map. It helps to develop the upper-advanced teabag technique that I (used to) prwn Knight with. Trufax!
    Believe!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shyam39 wrote:
    @Yoss After the Halo meet-up, I did well in my exam. What does that mean? Can we haz Halo-Meet V. 02 soon? Kthxbai

Glad to hear it. And thoughts of a Halostock V.02 have been crossing my mind. Or, to give it it's proper title: Halo3stock.

Leave it with me, I'll see what I can do.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I could see a perfectly decent game being put together with no jump button.
    So can I, back in my CoD playing days I used to bang on about it not being needed. Gears of War and whatnot don't seem to suffer from not being able to pogo your way across a map.

I always lol when people say Gears of War with regards to jumping. The circle strafe-shotty-rolling battles and tactics are basically part of the same sort of game style as "bunny Hopping." is it any more ridiculous to have your av jumping all over the place or rolling all over the place?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I could see a perfectly decent game being put together with no jump button.
    So can I, back in my CoD playing days I used to bang on about it not being needed. Gears of War and whatnot don't seem to suffer from not being able to pogo your way across a map.
    I always lol when people say Gears of War with regards to jumping. The circle strafe-shotty-rolling battles and tactics are basically part of the same sort of game style as "bunny Hopping." is it any more ridiculous to have your av jumping all over the place or rolling all over the place?

there all 3rd person too.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    You lower the aiming skill of the game significantly if every gun needs to be aimed down the sights. Sniper riflles and variations thereof obviously need it (this balances the gun as you move slower while aiming) but apart from that I prefer non iron sight aiming. This is all mostly personal preference and I guess there are advantages to aiming down the sights (feel free to tell me what they are) but for me combat is more much more fluid and fun when you don't need to make your character move through treacle whenever you start shooting. You're absolutely right about kill times, Halo length kill times with iron sights simply would not work. However, I really hope Bungie's next game isn't an exercise in 'who sees who first' positional gameplay so I'm rooting for H1 type kill times.

I don't know how you lower the skill level?

If you have non-aimed and aimed shooting then every encounter is a decision between speed and accuracy. That's a judgement skill the player needs to utilise.

If anything, having one aim type leans more towards "who sees first".
  • By making aim down sights the optimal way to get a kill, you're removing dodging and strafing in combat as part of the game, less skill there I suppose.

You could argue that games that don't have that sort of aiming encourage people to constantly move, taking away a tactical element. Learning maps to know where to stop and aim isn't really skill though.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I don't know how you lower the skill level? If you have non-aimed and aimed shooting then every encounter is a decision between speed and accuracy. That's a judgement skill the player needs to utilise. If anything, having one aim type leans more towards "who sees first".

Generally speaking ads makes aiming easier, hence it lowers the skill level (perhaps skill ceiling would be a better phrase). This is the upside to having your field of view and speed nerfed, it's easier to hit people. Once you make it really easy to aim and shoot you turn a game into 'who sees who first' because the first person to see the other guy isn't going to miss and will win the fight. The decision making process of ads or hip fire and reaction times are the 2 ways in which you can differentiate yourself with this mechanic but the decision making process is fairly simple once you've played the game a decent amount and a game based purely on reaction times isn't very fun, especially for most of us lot who's reaction times are only going one way these days! 

Locking people in place when shooting also has the side effect of removing dodging and strafing as I_R says. Although this was probably already dead and buried with an ADS game anyway because ads makes aiming easy enough that no amount of dodging/strafing/jumping/rolling is going to do much good.

I don't really understand why ads has become the default (unless it's to make it easier for the player) because Counter Strike style aiming is way more interesting. There's the realism angle I guess but realism at the expense of good mechanics is never really a good idea.
  • Seems simple enough, really, and I'm not sure it's a matter of skill or not - rather a gameplay type?

ADS = slower movement while aiming means evading during a firefight becomes less easy

Non-ADS = faster movement while aiming means evading during a firefight becomes more easy

So games without ADS tend to have faster movement, jumping around, more open maps and longer kill times...
    Games with ADS tend to have slower movement, not much jumping, more sheltered maps and shorter kill times...

Which kind of game do you prefer? That may have an impact on whether you like ADS or not. Right?

I don't like slower games with fast kill times, and I like using jumps / fast movement with skill to really use good maps designed with those kinds of movement in mind. So...I don't like ADS.

Hurrah I've solved another problem.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't agree that ADS makes for a slower game. Did none of you play COD4 in that Russian warehouse?

I suppose it is personal preference, and not a question of one being more skilled than the other, that's just bollox.

If they do make those big changes* then fair play to them if that's what they want to do. You'd want them to make them for the right reasons though and not because Activision drove a truck load of money to the offices and knows COD is at the fag end of its life and they need a new annual to replace it that will appeal to COD players.

*I say changes, it's a completely new game so there's nothing to change from.
  • @Funkstain All true, but if you combine the difficulty of dodging fire with an easier aiming mechanic you've got a game where shooting is much easier.

@Mod74 "that's just bollox." No Mod74, use reasoning not swearing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sorry mate, but you aren't going to convince me one FPS is more skilful than another. Different skills definitely, but not more. That's just rampant egotism.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Shyam39 wrote:
    @Yoss After the Halo meet-up, I did well in my exam. What does that mean? Can we haz Halo-Meet V. 02 soon? Kthxbai
    Glad to hear it. And thoughts of a Halostock V.02 have been crossing my mind. Or, to give it it's proper title: Halo3stock. Leave it with me, I'll see what I can do.

Halo3stock this summer!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I will attend and HALO 3 IS THE BEST MOST SKILL BASED FPS THIS GEN YES!
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I don't agree that ADS makes for a slower game.

Happy to edit then, I mean we agree that there is slower movement during aiming with ADS, and I meant that to mean that therefore, overall, the game is slower - specifically in terms of firefights. But I'm happy to clarify that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    im with mod on this, halo isn't that fast paced in comparison to cod 4 or the rest of the series.
    id say ads adds more than it takes away, if your pulling headshots from hip fire seems more like luck than anything else.
    and dosn't halo slow the pace slightly when zoom'd in?

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I meant that to mean that therefore, overall, the game is slower - specifically in terms of firefights. But I'm happy to clarify that.

That's not the case at all when you look at most CoD matches. Movement is much slower during ADS but the majority of firefights decide a winner within seconds and the majority of movement in a match, especially CTF and Search & Destroy, is spent sprinting and quickly going between jump/prone. I'm sure CoD in similar match types has much higher kills per minute than Halo.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm sure CoD in similar match types has much higher kills per minute than Halo.
    That's because of hits to kill and respawn speeds as much as anything else.

ADS generally slows the game down. COD is just blisteringly fast in every other respect.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    if your pulling headshots from hip fire seems more like luck than anything else.
    Only in games like COD in which you're supposed to aim down the sights.

It is something that just comes down to preference. I prefer hip shooting with sights used solely for long range firefights. Like, um, Halo.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm confused slightly, this isn't flaming but am I hearing people saying that Halo and CoD are vastly different games?
  • CHOOSE YOUR OWN FORUM ADVENTURE

That's just crazy talk. (turn to page 23)

or

Yes. Halo is good and skill based and COD is lowest common denominator twitch gaming shite. (turn to page 82)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    im with mod on this, halo isn't that fast paced in comparison to cod 4 or the rest of the series. id say ads adds more than it takes away, if your pulling headshots from hip fire seems more like luck than anything else. and dosn't halo slow the pace slightly when zoom'd in?

As Tiger says about headshots, they never feel like luck to me.

As for kill speeds, for the most part, they are generally much slower in Halo due to the shields, but if you take those out of the equation (playing SWAT, for instance), you can drop people in a heartbeat.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    CHOOSE YOUR OWN FORUM ADVENTURE That's just crazy talk. (turn to page 23) or Yes. Halo is good and skill based and COD is lowest common denominator twitch gaming shite. (turn to page 82)
    I'm going to have to wait ages, we're only on page 16!

EDIT: I couldn't have timed that post any better, bugger.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Sorry mate, but you aren't going to convince me one FPS is more skilful than another. Different skills definitely, but not more. That's just rampant egotism.

Hmm, I have to disagree with that one Mod. Give a controller to nearly anyone with a semblance of how to play FPS games and they will rack a decent score on CoD, do the same with Halo and you'll have a very different outcome. Halo definitely requires more skill to play well.

It's an interesting debate though, this ADS vs hip firing. I personally think that having no ADS, especially from distance requires more skill and makes for a more rewarding and entertaining game. Although quite where Halo and CoD fit with this argument remains to be seen. For instance, you still look through a scope with the most popular guns in Halo, you just don't see the gun in front of you, pretty sure it slows down your movement speed too, no?

And as for CoD, jesus you can hip fire most guns from range or up close sometimes more accurately than you can when aiming down sights. It's ridiculous, especially in the latest installment. In some ways, ADS encourages camping in multiplayer but i do rather enjoy it in single player, adds to the immersion.

I don't see a problem with ADS in Destiny, as long as its done right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not sure whether movement speed is slowed down in Halo when you're zoomed in, or whether it just seems slower.

Either way, using sights on Halo is more of a way to extend a gun's effective range than anything else. I don't zoom if someone's close to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!