Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    PREACH IT TURTS  I probably need to reduce my salt intake.

Hurro Googs, should have said wary on CrossFit which is what I meant specifically.  To clarify, I am wary rather than outright dismissive, as I'm only going on what I know from personal experience with general cross training, what I'm told by trainers I know (and trust), plus anecdotal evidence from the internets and a few guys who genuinely know what they are on about like Rippetoe (who was working with Glassman but left due to differences which are allegedly to do with certification and technique).

I have done some cross training in the past and one thing that bothers me is that since it tends to incorporate certain lifts, the lifter should learn how to perform these lifts correctly.  It seems that in Xfit, form is sacrificed for speed and time and that's when injuries happen.  It's fine when you're lifting 10kg, not so much when you're lifting 110kg.  Another issue I've noted (which is common across gyms of any kind actually), is the level of training acquired by Xfit trainers.  Most anyone with little training background is going to benefit from any kind of training, but the fact that lifts (such as snatches) are taught by guys with limited experience is surely asking for trouble.  The number of people I see doing shoulder presses while standing on a swiss ball, all under the watchful eye of a trainer, makes my stomach turn.  Get them under a bar for Petey's sake.

Some of the Xfit compilations on Youtube are amusing and clearly selective, but perhaps revealing of a lack of technical experience on the part of trainers.  Some of the stuff I've seen is downright dangerous though, particularly with power lifts.  Also, using explosive movements like cleans and snatches (where form is paramount) in an endurance capacity is fucking stupid.  There's a fair chunk of stuff out there on how Xfit is flawed when it comes to teaching several movements or lifts.

I also take issue with the lack of specialization; I understand the goal is all round fitness and being capable in many areas, but if you're pursuing anything specific, be it strength or conditioning for a particular sport, you want a program tailored to your needs.  Having done the all round or cross fitness thing and pushed myself til I vommed, I much prefer straight strength training for the sense of progression and carryover to life in general.  I'm certainly in better nick now than I was then.

Finally, this Glassman chap seems a Jonestown-esque cunt and the zealot-bros that swear by his methods are lulzworthy.

Having said all that, any group fitness activity is going to be beneficial for most people and I'm not discounting Xfit outright; if you get off your fat arse (not you personally) to do Xfit, then good-o.

This article gives a good overview without being too damning.  Overall, if you want general fitness and have a desire to punish your body to that end, go wild.

Finally, just a few points on what you said.  Saying that multiple discipline workouts are superior to single discipline workouts is patently untrue.  It's about effort, focus and form, whatever you're doing.  If you're incorporating hard running, bodyweight exercises, weighted lifts and balance work into a hard training session, I question the value you'll get from spreading yourself like that.  A focused resistance workout, say for your back, prioritizes form and maximal effort for that area.  Also, compound lifts like deads and squats at or near your max incorporate a heap of muscle groups.  When I've done a few sets of lower back squats near my max weight, I feel it everywhere.

Doing 100 kipping pullups (mixed in with a heap of other stuff) a week will give you improved endurance and make you better at kipping pullups, but a good deadlift session will get you much stronger in the long run.  As a side note, despite only doing strength training, my endurance is still very good; I did a footy (Aussie Rules) runaround with my brother last week and despite repeat sprints for an hour or so plus a bit of contesting work, still had plenty left in the tank.

Anyhoo Googs, I don't profess to be an expert by any means, just going by my own experience, reading I've done and video I've watched.  As I said earlier, anything is better than nothing, but safety should be a priority for those inexperienced with training.

@Elmlea: if it's fat you're looking to shed, cardio will accelerate the process but I'd be inclined to bike it rather than run.  Besides that, abs are built in the kitchen as they say.  Chuck in a fast a week (look at Brad Pilon and Martin Berkhan for stuff on intermittent fasting) and eat at a caloric deficit, that'll skinnify you.  Be sure to do some resistance training though.

Phew!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh yeah, and those jumping chins are fucking retarded.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I'm totally with Skerret RE his concerns on Crossfit. It seems more exercise cult than a safe and effective training regime. If you snap your shit up from doing 30 snatches as quickly as possible, you'll be out for weeks, possibly months, depending on how badly you hurt yourself. I lift with safety as an upmost priority these days. You never recover 100% from something bad, it stays with you for life and really....really fucking sucks. Again, like the eating plan, I think it should be a life long, never mind long term plan. There are no quick fixes and consistent application of the right things in the right quantities for the rest of your life is the only thing that's gonna work.

Aso, suck my center-justified text, mo-fo's.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I can't even look at that, it's so justified.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I intend to lose a bit of weight for the wedding in 11 weeks. Intended to start with 15 minutes each day on the cross trainer and work up from there. Just done 4 minutes and had to stop. Not going well so far.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fasting Mod.  Less energy in means fat burned.  I mean, it's not quite as simple as that, but it works.
  • Yah. The simplest way to lose weight is not to change what you eat, or start exercising, or any of that stuff. Just.....eat less.

That sounds over-simplistic and sarcastic, but it's true. You'll feel hungry, won't be "healthy" necessarily, but you'll lose weight. It's just a matter of if you can stand feeling hungry!

"Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Basil seeds are supposed to suppress hunger pangs or something. Shrug.
  • slow releasing complex carbs like brown rice and porridge help. If you have a simple carb like white bread or refined sugar, your blood sugar rises rapidly as the body quickly absorbs the sugar, you then naturally release a shitload of insulin to bring that blood sugar level down which can then lead to a crash, making you feel like shit and crave more food. 

Also, fibre will keep you full for longer as it is very slow to digest. That's one reason why you should eat your greens. Fibre also makes you shit LIKE A MAN.
  • Do consume a fair bit of porridge of a week, it's a personal favourite.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @TurtleoWurtle: It's like cannonfire down there at times. 

Eating less (like fasting) is "healthy" in the short term, but if you ate way under your daily requirements (i.e. the amount you'd need to consume to maintain what you have) for an extended period you'll eventually wither away to a fleshy nub.  Lifting heavy shit and eating protein is a good cure for this.
  • lots of people don't care that much about health and just want to lose their belly. It seems weird to say, but you really don't have to exercise at all if you don't want to. Like I said, you wont be as "healthy" as you could be if you did exercise, but exercise is by no means necessary for weight loss. If you only care about losing a belly and hate exercise, don't do it. Just eat a bit better and reduce portion sizes. I think a lot of people never even try to lose weight cause they think they have to do 5 cardio sessions a week and cant bear the thought of that. We'll don't worry, you don't have to. You'll probably die young from heart disease or cancer, but at least you'll be lean whilst still eating pop tarts whilst sat on your arse playing Skyrim. You'll just be playing Skyrim kinda hungry.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yer, trufax.  Goal this year to do a double bodyweight poptart meal in under 20 minutes.  Also, video lulz.
  • One day this year, I'm gonna go to Krispy Kreme and eat a box of 12 in under 5 minutes. Then play my DS without washing my hands. Take that accepted standards of dignity and portable gaming protocol!
  • That video seems retarded. What if you ate nothing else for a meal but a Mars bar?
  • The video is assuming (i guess) that the Mars Bar is the thing you eat that puts you over your daily caloric requirement. It was the 300 kcal treat that if you dont burn, you'll store. 

But you're right, you could eat only 5 Mars bars a day and drink water and still lose weight, but i wouldn't recommend it. 
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You'd be woefully ill-informed at any rate.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    When you say fasting, you mean eat less, not nothing at all, right?
  • I'm about to have lunch fyi, I'm eating brown rice made with fried onions and garlic in olive oil, a splash of chicken stock, shredded fresh basil leaves, diced chillies and a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce. And a pint of water.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I mean eat nothing.  I do 16 hour fasts every day (8pm to 12pm next day, though I don't think of this as fasting any more, it's just my eating pattern) and do the occasional 24 hour fast.  During this time I'll have black coffee of herbal tea but nothing else.  When I break the fast, I eat a normal sized meal rather than trying to get that days food in in one hit.  God for ye I say.  I'm super sharp when fasted which makes good sense survival-wise.

Edit: outta the way amphibian
  • I did daily 16 hour fasts like Skerret for over a year and can report that they are great if you have the discipline. I live with my gf now so it's not as practical, so I've switched tactics to something more traditional. This means having to stay closer to my daily caloric requirements, but I know my body so well and have been eating such similar things for so long that I can do this quite easily these days with portion judgement by sight, not with scales.

Also, Never drink fizzy drinks ever if you can help it, not even diet ones. Here's why:

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My routine is currently monday, wednesdays and fridays for an hour of gym which i'm increasing to an hour quarter this week then see how it goes. On every other day I try and go for a few miles worth of runnings to try and rid of this fucking paunch I have despite having lost just over 3 stone now since January.

I need to buy one of those scales with the handles that works out where most of your body fat is and how hydrated you are.
  • Skerret said:

I mean eat nothing.  I do 16 hour fasts every day (8pm to 12pm next day, though I don't think of this as fasting any more, it's just my eating pattern) and do the occasional 24 hour fast.  During this time I'll have black coffee of herbal tea but nothing else.  When I break the fast, I eat a normal sized meal rather than trying to get that days food in in one hit.  God for ye I say.  I'm super sharp when fasted which makes good sense survival-wise.

Edit: outta the way amphibian

I never really thought about it that way, but I have my evening meal at about 6 and don't eat again until 12pm the next day. Just having a meal at 12pm and 6pm every weekday. Never feel particularly hungry in the 18 hours, so is this doing me any good or is it bad? :\
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's definitely not bad, quite the opposite. Relaaaaaaax

Fasting has many health benefits, get a-reading.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak said:

It's terminology for a dieting regime really Elm, I'm actually doing CrossFit atm Google, well worth it. 

Yeah, I wanted to first start to get comfortable with the lack of carbs/sugar in my diet before starting on a new exercise regime. 

My plan is to wait until my weight loss plateau's (hopefully at around 180) and then start working out again properly. Any recommendations on websites that provide a good resource for cross-fit would be beneficial, boss.

What part of the World are you in these days? There's usually a CrossFit centre in every major Town/City. This is the site I use, also, there is lots of Paleo information in there for any interested in learning more.
  • I'm in Vancouver and there are multiple places here to provide any manner of cross-fit type activities. I'll check out your link when I get to work.

As for the other boys. Health is my principle goal. I don't want diabetes, cvd, MS or any other avoidable disease through lack of health. This the lack of gluten, dairy and legumes. My feeling on the matter is that I've not been very well for a long time. Sure, I've dropped and gained anywhere between 20-30 lbs. I've never really been fat but that's no indication of health.

I realized quite recently that I was eating carbs constantly. Not bad carbs. I wasn't just eating sixteen white bread sandwiches constantly but I wasn't balancing. So after reading a couple I paleo books everything came together for me.

The lack of energy, the irritable gut, the bad acne, the fat deposits in weird places. My body was honestly trying to tell me something.

In about 3 weeks my acne is gone, my sleep is 9 times better than it was, I've lost 12lbs, and the most remarkable thing is that I've lost inches from my chest, waist and thighs. My face has thinned out. It's been quite remarkable.

So yeah. Anecdotally this whole process has been incredibly eye opening.
  • if it works for you, keep it up.
  • No! I first require validation that I'm great!

Where are you living now?
  • I'm researching Gluten, interesting stuff. Seems there's big genetic factors regarding whether you are sensitive or highly intolerant. I might get tested to see if my body hates it. Always good to know what will make you feel better. I feel fine, but you never know. Maybe it will cure my intolerable arse vapour and rectal bleeding.

Bristol. Getting a VISA for the states is a right old cunt. I'll get back there, just need a sponsor.

• Are you getting back out to the mountains anytime soon?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!