The Fire Emblem Awakening Thread
  • I think I've got some insane ranks

Not sure who is my favourite character soo many to choose from.

Yes the hammer thing can fix things but is very rare in this game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Argh. Not a game to play while drunk. Booted it up at 2am after a night of beer and rum and merriment. Lost Rickon, Boy Wonder. :( Still... no resets. Not on the first run. Think I'll got for no deaths on Hard after completion, with resets.

Sumia, Lon'Qu & Vaike all approaching Lv20 fast. Only one Master Seal atm. Think it's going to to Sumia. Had a moment of drunken madness and nearly turned Lon'Qu into a wyvern rider before coming to my senses. Would have been interesting, but I love using him as a Sword Saint.

How do the stats work? Strength is obvious... how does skill work? Would have presumed it mostly affected bows and the like but Lon'Qu is a killer and only has very moderate strength.

I *love* that you can rename weapons in this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skill is for triggering special moves and some of the specials in items.

Lon'Qu gets a bit buggered later on when you come up on more Knights.

My big killers are Vaike - now my super axe tank, Donny - who would have thought it, and Gerome - death from above :-)

Might play it your way on next run through, especially now I know more of how the game actually works. For example, it was only in the last few battles that I bothered moving people around on the map so that pairs start closer together.
  • That's a critical element of the game which they don't really highlight enough. Key on maps where you have a split party.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Vaike is a beast, agreed! Does so much damage.

Just married Sumia. <3 Also turned her into a Falcon Knight... slightly disappointed her mount didn't change, tbh, but oh well.

... kinda tempted to restart on Hard already. 10 hours in, loving every moment.
  • Think I've got RSI. My hand hurts a lot. :/
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha, been playing this again recently, I thought I'd nearly finished so took a break to play other stuff, now realise there may actually be quite a bit more to go.
  • Jesus, had a quick dabble on Lunatic.

Shit gets real pretty fast, huh.
  • I'm having a hard time with this at the moement. It appears that I've lost pretty much all of my turn-based strategy skills over the years, and chapter 6 is proving to be a headache (so many bad guys). I've not go too much of a problem with the damage my party dishes out, but their total ineptitude when it comes to defending themselves is slightly worrying. How much should I be using the team-up moves and place swap switcheroos? Sumia, for example, doesn't seem able to survive a single hit from axes or arrows. Can I buy stuff to boost my stats? Are weapons ever worth buying, because they never seem to be any better than what I already have?

I've already lost my primary a healer, and I've getting smashed with such ease that I've been reloading saves when anyone dies. Obviously that's cheating, but I am what I am. With regards to weapons, does 'HP' denote the damage dealt by the sword/lance/whatever? I equipped a 'HP 100' sword for Frederick, rather than the 'HP 90' lance he had, and it seems to deal less damage.

Can I have some Fire Emblem tips for a complete novice please - I gave up around 10hrs into the first one on GBA, because it had become a war of attrition against a brick wall, and I'm desperate not to allow that to happen again because I think it's superb. I pretty much sailed through Shining Force II last time I played it. Even the main guy with amnesia, who's only been benched for around three battles, is fecking useless - as are the mounted paladins imo (except Fred). Can I grind in this, or do I have to wait for the extra battles to pop up?
  • Are you pairing up weaker shepherd's with stronger ones Mooto, directly or using adjacent squares & thus increasing that stat?  The stronger will normally block for the weaker member.  Just be wary of who you team up as you approach "s" rank for partnerships, you may get a few pleasent surprises.
  • I've not been doing a whole lot of pairing - in fact, I've been approaching it in full Shining Force mode, but it seems to be an unexpectedly deep experience. I've tried to be mindful of who stands next to whom, but I've only really used the combine feature to ferry big hitters across the map by pairing them with more mobile characters.
  • Yeah, you really need to pair characters especially weak ones like Sumia until they can be levelled up whilst cleaning up the riffraff.

Use reeking boxes on the main map to get battles to fight to level up quicker.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sword lance etc does different damage as some classes have specific weaknesses to various weapons.

Same goes for your guys too. Flying things hate arrows for example. If I recall correctly.
  • Yeah. The weapon triangle is important in the early chapters for getting an advantage, alongside keeping aerial units away from archers. 

My approach is usually to use the 'x' button to display the danger zones, have my strongest characters stand just inside the pink with the weaker ones just outside for support. Soak up the initial attack then counter. If you're struggling make use of Frederick, if you're not then leave him out. In the early missions I used Fred and kellam as tanks to absorb attacks, then brought in my other guys to counter. Also, reeking boxes on the early maps to strengthen any dead weight.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Hopefully I've not been over-reliant on Frederick thus far. I have at least attempted to strike the killer blow with one of the plebs, so I've not been a complete numpty. I only used Kellam twice, I'll throw him back in the mix and power him up if I can.

I refuse to let this beat me - if this had been released in 1995, I think it would be a genuine contender for favourite game status (at that point I believe Landstalker and Shining Force II were tied at the top, so I was definitely into this sort of thing).
  • get the fat character up front to defend (unless against axes)

fredrick alongside

Then archer behind those two with the main protagonist

dont be afraid to deselect characters for battle. If you need to have someone like sumia then pair first turn with fredrick or kellam for 2nd strike and relationship status boosting
  • Cheers.  Just had a really good 2.5hrs on this, unlike me to play anything in one session for so long.  I fought two non-story battles on the map, then I found Chapter 6 far easier - it's amazing what a couple of level-ups can do for your team as a whole.  Also, defence tonics for mages work quite nicely, and I've decided that Maribelle is a better healer than the girl I lost, chiefly due to her range (dead girl was one of the initial characters, I forget her name).  Kellam is officially one of my go-to guys now.

However - AI Marth got merked by a counter attack in Chapter 6, and I'm not sure if this affects me or not.  Chrom said something about her retreating, but does that ruin my chances of recruiting her later on?  I'm sure she's essential to the plot, which is why she didn't keel over, but I'm worried she'll be crippled in cut-scenes from now on or something.
  • Pretty sure that won't have any effect on later recruitment.

Have any side quests opened up for you yet? There's a recruitable character in one of the early quests who can be quite useful.
  • Oh dear, I think maybe they snuffed it?  So far I think Kellam and Guire are the only characters I've recruited along the way that I the player can miss.  I spent ages carefully rescuing a handy-looking female character, and she turned out to be a shopkeeper/random merchant.

Edit: Was it the enthusiastic village kid with the lance?  If so, F to the power of ML.
  • Yeah, donnel. He has a stat growth bonus that makes him beef up very quickly. You're not missing out loads by not having him, but he's been an asset for me.
  • Ha, I just assumed he was fodder.
  • He actually is one of the strongest characters in the game.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Got no save files that far back either; it's keep on keepin' on or restart the whole thing.  I'll carry on, sod it, although I will have to attempt to forget today's information, otherwise it'll play on my mind every time I get whupped.
  • There's a powerful black mage character who is about on par with him, who I wont name unless you do just in case its a spoiler. Which will probably make up for not having Donny.
  • Unless I consider the mage fodder and allow him to die so Stahl can continue to be useless. Can't wait to play this again. Will have to take another look at my GOTY votes, I can't remember if I took a punt on this in the top 5 (it's pretty much gonna be no.2).
  • Pretty much any* character can be powerful if you level them, just depends on which ones you favour early on.

*Except Sumia.
  • Vela wrote:
    There's a powerful black mage character who is about on par with him, who I wont name unless you do just in case its a spoiler. Which will probably make up for not having Donny.
    Spoiler:
  • Pegasus Knights being a bit shit seems to be a hallmark of the genre. Not to harp on about Shining Force II, but Luke was almost useless in that. No point in flying multiple squares over hell and and high water if you get KO'd by a grunt upon arrival.
  • Sumia is pretty good for me. Nothing like as solid as Vaike, but she gets more than her fair share of kills.

I need to come back to this.
  • I think vaike is one of my two that bought the dust. The other was that butch woman, although she was married to virion. He didn't bat an eyelid when she died.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!