The Fire Emblem Awakening Thread
  • Forgive my ignorance, but could someone briefly explain the process of the relationships. i've been ploughing through the story and Chrom married Sully, but wasn't awake we are able to marry up other people? I also don't pair up that often - is this what i'm missing? 

I also have no idea what reeking boxes are, or what the items that I have actually do.

I am fail!
  • I can answer the reeking box question - they can be used by pressing the equivalent of the triangle button on the map screen (sorry, forget the 3DS layout) to bring up the inventory, then use a reeking box and the difficulty of the battle it generates will depend on which chaper you use it on. Useful for levelling up.

The only reason I explained how to get the inventory up step by step is because I didn't realise you could do it on the map screen for the first eight hours or so...

So far only Chrom and Sully have married in my game too.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but could someone briefly explain the process of the relationships. i've been ploughing through the story and Chrom married Sully, but wasn't awake we are able to marry up other people?

Either direct pair the 2 you want to have a relationship/friendship by joining them as a unit(not forgetting to lead with your strongest, unless the situation demands otherwise) or pair them by having them fight next to each other, a square each, but not on a diagonal direction.
    Gamermike wrote:
    is this what i'm missing?

By doing the above as the relationship grows towards "S" rank you will notice the pairing do a lot more defensive/offensive moves/counters with no input from yourself. The stronger the pairing the more you can expect this to happen.  It is bloody important as it can sometimes do an extra/finishing move/block when you are all spent on command shiz & waste that enemy who is about to move & maybe waste you which happens a lot on hard & all the time on Lunatic.

Come the end, my entire 1st team where paired up to "S" rank & the last few battles were all fought using direct pairing.
  • Not to mention all the extra levels you get from doing it. Most S rank pairings will open up a side story.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cindemon wrote:
    Gamermike wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but could someone briefly explain the process of the relationships. i've been ploughing through the story and Chrom married Sully, but wasn't awake we are able to marry up other people?
    Either direct pair the 2 you want to have a relationship/friendship by joining them as a unit(not forgetting to lead with your strongest, unless the situation demands otherwise) or pair them by having them fight next to each other, a square each, but not on a diagonal direction.
    Gamermike wrote:
    is this what i'm missing?
    By doing the above as the relationship grows towards "S" rank you will notice the pairing do a lot more defensive/offensive moves/counters with no input from yourself. The stronger the pairing the more you can expect this to happen.  It is bloody important as it can sometimes do an extra/finishing move/block when you are all spent on command shiz & waste that enemy who is about to move & maybe waste you which happens a lot on hard & all the time on Lunatic. Come the end, my entire 1st team where paired up to "S" rank & the last few battles were all fought using direct pairing.

Thanks for explaining. I have been pairing them next to each other in battle but not joining them - but didn't realise this was important in building up relationships, I usually pair the male avatar alongside Chrom or super strong guy on the horse (?). Oops. I may just start again from scratch to be honest.
  • Do side story missions stay open indefinitely? I've attempted one where you have to defend a character called Tiki a couple of times, but I've lost two mages each attempt and switched the machine off like a melt. Maybe I'm not quite ready for it, although I've done loads of reeking box missions, and always mop up the battles that appear on the map.

I've just used second seals on Frederick, Chrom and Kellam, so they're all level 1 again in classes I don't want them to be. I'm on mission 19 I think - do I have time left in the campaign to switch them back to the correct classes when they hit level 10?
  • Feels like I'm approaching the end of the campaign on this.  I was relieved to discover you can second seal a character at level 20 back to level 1 in the same class.  In terms of what's just happened,
    Spoiler:
    What does the game offer after the credits roll?  Is it a new game + type thing, or are there new missions and side quests to mop up?  I'm eyeing up ALBW you see, and I'd like to get an idea of when I can move on.  28hrs on the game clock so far, add 10 to that going by the 3DS game records page.  Excluding 3D Zelda titles that's the longest I've spent on a story-driven game since Final Fantasy VII during my mock GCSEs.
  • I believe you can just go back onto the map and do skirmishes, side quests etc. Dunno where I read that, I've been delaying the last couple of missions as don't want it to end.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm up to chapter 25 now.
    Spoiler:
  • I finished it, but the 3DS ran out of battery seconds from what I assume would have been a post-credits save point. 
    Spoiler:
    The house has been turned upside down while new flooring is being laid in a bedroom and the nursery, and the plug is buried under piles of junk.  Despite the constant flashing of the battery light, I thought I'd make it.  I didn't.  At least now I know how long you get once the red light light goes barmy.

On the plus side, I lost Ricken and Kjelle in the endgame, so I'll aim to avoid that next time.
  • No Japanese voice option and no face rubbing.

No release date yet, either.
  • I want to preorder!!! Please take my monies!!!! Lol
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just started this one, first Fire Emblem game for me and it might also be one of the first strategy games I'm actually putting some time in.
    Moot seems to have asked most questions I've had so far. Just won the battle for the East at the start of the game (chapter 4? 5?), and I'm just starting to get the hang of it. Moot mentions Kellam a couple of pages ago, afaik he isn't on my team yet, do you need to do something special to recruit? I've seen him on the battlefield, just complaining that he gets ignored all the time. I tried to move him, but he didn't listen.
    Enjoying this so far, normal classic, gonna try to keep them all alive, even though the way Tiger played sounds interesting as well... Go with the flow the first time around, and make some stories full of dying heroes.
  • Wow, just had a quick look and I really did ask a lot of questions.  You get Kellam in chapter 3 apparently, you have to talk to him with Chrom.  If you have an earlier save it might be worth going back for him.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nah, no earlier save anymore, so he's lost. I tried a couple of things to get him to move. Ah well, I'm sure there will be others. No one has died yet, might go with the don't look back approach the first time around, seeing as I'm losing people before recruiting them anyway.

And I'm glad you asked all those questions, most were the same as mine. The game throws a lot of stuff at you, and from the start every decision counts, so not much experimenting without restarts.

I've unlocked wireless as well, most things are useful, but not sure what the extra teams do? Haven't downloaded that yet, was unclear if those are extra troups for your own group or that you can fight them to gain experience.
  • I can't remember what happens with the streetpass thing.  I think you can fight other people's teams, and I seem to remember not doing very well at it as when I tried I got annihilated.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finally had some time for this again, cleared chapter 5, which introduced reinforcements. It hinted at putting characters in places where they could appear, but that means splitting up the group. So far I've kept everyone together, usually on the edge of enemy reach and moved them in together. Better to split up across the map?

Other question about pairing, is it better to pair two men with the same weapon, or different ones. That's what I'm doing now, trying to make duo's that cover a few weaknesses.

Which leads to the last question, I remembered the sword > axe > lance > sword triangle, but I'm not sure on the weaknesses / advantage of the bows, magic and flying creatures.
  • Flying creatures can usually be killed with a single arrow from even mid-level bow types.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So I'm just gonna kick this thread as I've picked Fire Emblem up again a couple weeks ago (I got stuck on I think Chapter 6 in Oct 2016, am now at Chapter 15).

Just read through everything because I needed to know how people approached the seals. So far I've used two master seals, one for Chrom and one for Gaius, who can now also use a bow. Which is hopefully useful as so far I have only Virion with the bow. Haven't tested it yet as I was playing way past my bedtime and all my dreams were these grid like visuals with red and blue areas and those horrible death animations.

Only one marriage so far, Chrom and the Avatar. Reading through the thread I noticed no one married their avatar to Chrom, but that's probably because you're playing male avatars. Wonder how this will fit in the story later on, there are still some mysterious things happening with the Avatar's past.

Next session will be to work on my weddings, I've got too many c level relationships, but none are going any deeper so far. Working on Gaius and Lissa, once I realized Gaius and Anna isn't gonna work out. I've also been working on Libra and Cordelia, but not sure if I should continue that as they're both axe users. I'm trying to get everyone at least to lvl 20, to see what the second seal will do for them, so that should give me plenty of time to work on those marriages.
    I really need to find someone for Virion and Vaike, but none of the females seem worth it. None of them have the same ego as the males, so how can I find someone compatible for them?

God this game has gotten so much more complicated. But I love it.
  • Can't remember much of what I did tbh. Love me some FE though!
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I don't expect anyone to come up with anything useful, but I woke up thinking about it and just needed somewhere to post about it. B doesn't care about who is gonna marry who.

Thread is full of tips etc anyway, so about everything I wanted to know has been covered already.
  • I think Virion ended up with Sully on my play through. No idea if it helped or not; there are some people who go waaaaaaay too deep into it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm pretty sure I'm playing normal and restarting whenever someone dies, and so far there have been difficulties but all my own fault. I mainly want to marry characters that I enjoy the after battle conversation between, not looking for the ultimate battlefield combo's.

I'm trying for Donnel and Nowi to like each other, as I think he deserves someone a bit more different than what he will have encountered during his farm life.

I do know I have two characters that had an after battle talk about their horses and taking care of them, but I forgot who they were. Ah well.

I'm having problems finding someone suitable for Sully, she's a bit weird. Maybe I should check if Henry is a possibility, he's a bit weird too.
  • Donnel is well worth levelling up, he is very strong later on.

Essentially there's no real wrong way to go, just if its your first time through play it your own way.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think the only person I really struggle to find any love for is Maribelle. I take her with me when I'm doing my world map battles / reeking boxes but I'm not really getting on with her. 
    Specially since Lisse is a way higher level and Anna and Libra can also heal.

I'm working on Donnel, he's around level 14 I think so a bit more and I'll use one of those seals to make him a bit more powerful.
  • Also FYI I made a female avatar in FEA. Just seemed to be a better template in the creator menu. I think I ended up pairing her with Lon'qu because his vitality skill was cool.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nah, Lon'qu is for Tharja, as they both think they're the coolest.

Just did the two battles that were available on the world map, got one of my couples up to a B (Libra and Cordelia). So that's going well. Gaius as a assassin is also pretty nice, specially since the map I used him on was full of pegasus riders.
  • Grinding marriages in Awakening was the best, partly down to the excellent bonus missions/recruitment they open up. Some truly lovely touches in there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Are we ready for the may expo folks who are we cosplaying as bagsie Donal here
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Kazuo yeah I had a gap in my side story numbers (last I did was 4, then 12 showed up) so that's why I'm focusing on this now. I'm loving the banter they open up after a support level up.

@regmcfly no idea what expo you're talking about but hi, Anna here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!