The Fire Emblem Awakening Thread
  • Virion seems unable to attack without getting something in reply for me, so he's getting on my tits as one counter attack + one hefty hit and he's done for anyway.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I think vaike is one of my two that bought the dust. The other was that butch woman, although she was married to virion. He didn't bat an eyelid when she died.
    A pity, he deals monstrous amounts of damage. Can hold off armies by himself.
  • TEACH GOT TENURE.
  • TEACH GOT TENURE.

Heh. That made me laugh.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Virion seems unable to attack without getting something in reply for me, so he's getting on my tits as one counter attack + one hefty hit and he's done for anyway.

With a bow?

Try to just attack enemies that have short range weapons etc.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Virion seems unable to attack without getting something in reply for me, so he's getting on my tits as one counter attack + one hefty hit and he's done for anyway.

Virion was a God & main playa come from the end & played his part in the final battle.  Dem bow skills.  

How's the pairing/cupid ting going.  Working towards any poss permanent pairs yet?  Only ask because the quicker you start burning towards "s" rank partnerships the better bud.  The amount of blocking & countering can get insane & greatly aids progression.

Need to return to my lunatic play through.
  • I didn't know about relationships until this morning.  I've made characters talk to each other, when prompted, every time the pre-battle option appears, but that's it.  I've started pairing Frederick and Sully in every battle, does that help?

Don't attack mages with Virion...check.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    There's a powerful black mage character who is about on par with him, who I wont name unless you do just in case its a spoiler. Which will probably make up for not having Donny.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've made characters talk to each other, when prompted, every time the pre-battle option appears, but that's it.  I've started pairing Frederick and Sully in every battle, does that help?

On ze money.  As the friendship/relationship grows in rank, so will the dialogue & other things.
  • I'll keep an eye on that, thanks.  Makes sense that Virion's stopped preening himself since Lissa died.

Put another hour in last night.  Can someone explain reeking boxes to me please?  I know what they are, I'm just not sure whereabouts I can actually use them.  I was thinking of cracking a couple open and spending the day levelling up.
  • Vela wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    There's a powerful black mage character who is about on par with him, who I wont name unless you do just in case its a spoiler. Which will probably make up for not having Donny.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Cool. She's married to Donny on mine. Their offspring's a bit rubbish though.
  • Give it time.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll keep an eye on that, thanks.  Makes sense that Virion's stopped preening himself since Lissa died.

Put another hour in last night.  Can someone explain reeking boxes to me please?  I know what they are, I'm just not sure whereabouts I can actually use them.  I was thinking of cracking a couple open and spending the day levelling up.

Open a reeking box somewhere on the map and some baddies will appear at that location at a difficulty proportional to the difficulty of the chapter at that location. You earn your money back as you'll get a small bullion every time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All this talk makes me want to play it again. Brilliant, awesome game.

Vaike became my unstoppable machine

Probably only beaten for sheer class and luck by Donnel - could always count on him to get the quick kills to open up a tight battle :-)
  • I just used an item and turned a level10 Vaike into a different class, and I'm holding onto another because I wasn't too taken with what it did to Chrom's stats (currently my only other level 10+ character), so I'll use it one someone else.  This is getting deep. 

As usual for me with these games, deciding who to give a one-use constant stat upgrade item to is all a bit Sophie's Choice.  As soon as I pick someone I regret it; always always happens.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This is getting deep.

He's going through the layers.  Good stuff & come the end you can have some peeps with crazy moves.
  • The stat upgrade items aren't hugely rare, they turn up in the pop-up shops from time to time as well as chests. I stayed off just giving them to the avatar character, but he ended up being a bit overpowered compared to everyone else. I share them about a bit now. Stats will eventually max out so it doesn't matter too much, just don't give it to someone with green numbers (maxed stat).

As for re-classing, the master seal will improve the stats and max stats, focusing on skills appropriate to that class. I've used master seals (promotes to an advanced class) on some of mine as soon as they reach level 20, some others I've used the second seal to learn some key skills from other classes first (with minimal impact tbh). When you reach max level (even after master seal) you can re-class back to level one in the same class or change again.
  • What's the deal with characters who appear on the map that you can parlay with?  I'm guessing I accidentally switched street pass on.  I've easily got enough money to recruit their leader, whose stats suggest he's a suped-up version of the character I got to name at the beginning (but quickly ejected from my party with little or no stat boosts).  I know the game is offering me this option, but it smacks of cheating slightly - he's got a higher rating than anyone in my team.  They've also got a few items I could do with purchasing, but will disappear after I take anything apparently. 

One more thing - forging.  I haven't done it yet, because it doesn't seem worthwhile for weapons that will break soon anyway.  Did anyone get involved?  I have a fair chunk of cash.

Marriage spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Characters on a map or characters in a mission?

If its in a mission, parlay is often what you have to do to trigger a next step in a mission; ie rescue or give them a chance to surrender. Can't say specifically since there are some late game spoilers where its more common.

If its characters on the map itself, those are spotpass characters from bonus box/update which are optional challenges. Many of them will kick your arse. A great way to level up though if you dont have reeking boxes.
  • This guy just appeared on the world map. Must be the bonus box thing. Undecided whether to ignore him or not - the party is too skilled to fight, and the recent chapters have been easy-ish anyway so I may have been reeking/grinding too much.
  • Just destroy him. I've got a guy on my map from street pass who looks soft. His team are immense, absolutely destroy me every time I try.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This guy just appeared on the world map. Must be the bonus box thing. Undecided whether to ignore him or not - the party is too skilled to fight, and the recent chapters have been easy-ish anyway so I may have been reeking/grinding too much.

Bonus box then. You can dismiss them and fight them again if theyre too strong for you. Unless its a streetpass, but I wouldnt know since I dont bother with that so dont know how spotpass characters work.

What is the name of the character?
  • Am I right in thinking that second seals can be useful even after a master seal has been used?  Initially I thought it was either/or, but the fact that the second seals are still being offered as specials by merchants makes me wonder if units retain stats even after they switch classes again.  For example, I used a master seal on Vaike at level 10, but he's approaching level 10 again now, so if I use a second seal on him will his stats drop to the base class second level of whatever he becomes, or retain some of his attributes and become a kind of third tier unit?

Also, what does restock mean in the inventory?  Cheers.  Absolutely loving the game - I honestly can't remember the last game that I never wanted to end.  Even my favourite games leave me feeling a touch relieved when the credits roll, I've not had any qualms with short games for well over a decade (in fact I actively seek them out).  This has gripped me like the first Advance Wars did.

P.S: Gregor am so best.
  • Vela wrote:
    What is the name of the character?

Was Xander or something I think, can't remember now I just bought all his stuff in the end and he disappeared.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That spoilers not really a spoiler Geeza. Marriage is different depending on how you pair and the post battle chats. One thing I never tried, but must on another play thorough is get someone to try to marry someone while already married. I nearly did with the young wizard marrying someone too old for him. Wanted him to get bored as she aged and trade her in for a younger model, but they always fought so well together I couldn't split em up :-)
  • My Chrom married Sully too. Wasn't too fussed, as I wasn't really thinking about it much, but in the end I liked them having a pair of daughters who obliterate everything.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • After a good few battles of breezing through it, this has started to get tricky again. The lava level with disintegrating surfaces was a toughie when it came to keeping everyone alive. Frederick has reached level 20 now - is he maxed out now, or should I second seal him?
  • Second seal him. You can always reclass back to the same class, so essentially back to Lv1. When max stats are reached they turn green, so keep reclassing until that happens.
  • Ah OK, thanks.  So Vaike has maxed out his HP on mine, I wondered what the green text meant (annoyingly, his strength stats have dropped off a fair bit - Gregor and Lon'qu leapfrogged him as my heavy hitters ages ago).  I'll probably spend today re-classing, mopping up on the map and using a couple of reeking boxes then

Edit: and I won't mind the grind one little bit.  3DS clock says I'm up to 30hrs on this, in game clock a fair bit less because I'm a weak minded fool and I don't want a repeat of what happened to me on the first GBA one (too many deaths, reached an impasse).
  • I'm on well over 40 hours.  Just been spending my time messing about on the map, trying to sort out the relationships and such.  Current project is getting Olivia and Gaius together.

My best characters at the mo are Owain and Morgan.  Morgan's just learned a skill that lets her take another go if she kills on her first go.  Not sure which other offspring characters to bother levelling up.  Lucina has been a disappointment, Noire's ok, a couple of the others (Cynthia and Kjelle) seem ok.

Might just finish the story off now, my team are pretty hardcore.  Could probably manage most of the remaining missions with just Owain, Morgan, my dude and Chrom.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!