The Fire Emblem Awakening Thread
  • Chapter 5 was a bitch.  The first bitch level of many no doubt, but in the end, no troops fell.  Just wish my caring side was around for the first few levels.  I can't even remember their names.....
  • cindemon wrote:
    FE has a new fan & once Awakening is done, gonna grab another from the series, any shout outs?
    Always preferred the handheld ones. Fire Emblem (GBA) is the most complete package with the best level designs, and definitely the one to go for. Shadow Dragon (DS) is a remake of an earlier game so is a little lighter on features, but still has some great levels. Sacred Stones (GBA) is the weakest by a margin, but is the only other one that has random battles/grinding, if you're into that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with cindemon, as an FE newbie would like to know where to turn next after this?
  • JonB wrote:
    FE has a new fan & once Awakening is done, gonna grab another from the series, any shout outs?
    Always preferred the handheld ones. Fire Emblem (GBA) is the most complete package with the best level designs, and definitely the one to go for. Shadow Dragon (DS) is a remake of an earlier game so is a little lighter on features, but still has some great levels. Sacred Stones (GBA) is the weakest by a margin, but is the only other one that has random battles/grinding, if you're into that.

Cheers JB. 

I would perfer grabbing a handheld version.  The OG GBA game commands a hefty price on ebay.  Hell some guy wanted over £25 just for the box & instructions before P&P.  Better hit the indies tomorrow whilst out & see if I can get lucky with your recommendations.  If I dont get lucky & I refrain from getting sucked into a bidding war, I will just wait on a VC download, which knowing how smooth a process that is will come around in 10 or so years time....

Edit:  Seems they ALL command a hefty price, even the GC & Wii versions.  Damn my ignorance.
  • Something very satisfying getting a one hit kill / critical - several times I have struggled not to do a fist pump on public transport.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Love getting a crit.

"Pray to whatever God you believe in."
  • I have this game. I love this game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Something very satisfying getting a one hit kill / critical - several times I have struggled not to do a fist pump on public transport.

So glad I don't play this in public! When Donnall got his first critical I jumped :-)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    How you doing that reg :( stupid mission 5 spawns those two new recruits on the right side of the map

I dunno. I'm sort of into a 'thing' with this game. As I said, I played through the GBA one a couple of times, so I have a sense with the classes. I've also been grinding my little core team of - Reg (me!), Chrom, Lissa, Stahl, Frederick (xox), Tharja, Long, THE VAIK, Dragonlady, Dancer, Libra and girl who is on a horse. On hard mode, you need them to be fairly high level fairly early on. 

I know this might sound patronising, but don't forget to forge up your favourite weapons. Remember that characters also gain weapon affinity the longer they use a particular type. 

Aside from that, be sensible - if you see dragons or mages on a map, leave your healer or weaker class at least 2 spaces from whoever is on the front line, that sort of thing. Use people like Vaike or Frederick as throttlers for bridges, and just think quite logically.
  • Just read the Edge review, sounds great. I don't have a 3DS but my brother does and he got this on release, may have to try and steal a go.
  • And do not forget the support mechanic . By having units fight close to one another and help each other in battle they can form relationships that will give them stat bonuses in battle and even lead to marriages and children down the road. Children then become warriors that you can recruit. Work to improve these relationships. The traits of parents can be passed on to create extremely powerful children.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Initially I thought Vaike was shit, but after a few Risen battles he's the Don!

As SG states the support mechanic is massively important.
  • The forge thing is not patronising reg, I don't understand it. Also you say you did grinding, is that in the DLC?
  • Something very satisfying getting a one hit kill / critical - several times I have struggled not to do a fist pump on public transport.

I had one map (I think around chapter 5) where Robin was one out on their own within range of four or five enemies including pegasus knights and archers. Due to my poor planning, she only had about 15 HP remaining and typical attacks were hitting for 7 or 8 points.

First enemy attacked, hit for 7, got a critical in return.
    Second enemy hit, their attack missed, got a critical in return.
    Third enemy attacked, dodged again, critical in return.
    Fourth hit for another 7 or 8, got hit normal in return but enough to kill.
    Fifth one came in, and finished her off, game over.

It was like Rocky IV
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Posted this in wrong thread but...
    Who the hell is Robin? Have I missed someone?
  • cindemon wrote:
    I would perfer grabbing a handheld version.  The OG GBA game commands a hefty price on ebay.  Hell some guy wanted over £25 just for the box & instructions before P&P.  Better hit the indies tomorrow whilst out & see if I can get lucky with your recommendations.  If I dont get lucky & I refrain from getting sucked into a bidding war, I will just wait on a VC download, which knowing how smooth a process that is will come around in 10 or so years time.... Edit:  Seems they ALL command a hefty price, even the GC & Wii versions.  Damn my ignorance.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the prices. I remember seeing the Wii version around quite a lot not too long ago, and it was always around £20, but I guess there's less Wii stuff in the shops now. I'd imagine the first GBA game didn't have a large release. Wasn't Sacred Stones available on some download thing at some point? Don't know if it was just some temporary thing.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Robin is the character you start with.

Do people tend to put their own names in? I always used to, but now just go default every time.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The forge thing is not patronising reg, I don't understand it. Also you say you did grinding, is that in the DLC?[/quote
    Forge is a way to level up the stats on your weapons, for more hits, crits etc but damage gets incremental. Forge the weapons you have the greatest affinity with.

The grinding comes from random encounters on the map. There's a smelly thing you can buy to make risen appear.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    cindemon wrote:
    I would perfer grabbing a handheld version.  The OG GBA game commands a hefty price on ebay.  Hell some guy wanted over £25 just for the box & instructions before P&P.  Better hit the indies tomorrow whilst out & see if I can get lucky with your recommendations.  If I dont get lucky & I refrain from getting sucked into a bidding war, I will just wait on a VC download, which knowing how smooth a process that is will come around in 10 or so years time.... Edit:  Seems they ALL command a hefty price, even the GC & Wii versions.  Damn my ignorance.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the prices. I remember seeing the Wii version around quite a lot not too long ago, and it was always around £20, but I guess there's less Wii stuff in the shops now. I'd imagine the first GBA game didn't have a large release. Wasn't Sacred Stones available on some download thing at some point? Don't know if it was just some temporary thing.

It was part of the Ambassador Program
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The forge thing is not patronising reg, I don't understand it. Also you say you did grinding, is that in the DLC?[/quote
    Forge is a way to level up the stats on your weapons, for more hits, crits etc but damage gets incremental. Forge the weapons you have the greatest affinity with.

The grinding comes from random encounters on the map. There's a smelly thing you can buy to make risen appear.

Ok thanks. I only had enough zennies for one of those which I've used.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Birdorf wrote:
    Robin is the character you start with. Do people tend to put their own names in? I always used to, but now just go default every time.

DOH!

It was early tbf
  • I've spent so much time grinding, almost all of my characters (up to chapter 15) have been Master Sealed. It's my plan to make Donnel (who's still a lv.25 base class) into an absolute beast.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Posted this in wrong thread but...
    Who the hell is Robin? Have I missed someone?

Yeah sorry, the player character, hence why I didn't bother with spoiler tags. I forgot that you could rename them though, I stuck with the default name.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just seen the advert for this during Soccer AM, looks good, is there an iOS equivalent?
  • Chapter 9 :o

Beating chapter 9 with no restarts :o
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Chapter 9 :o Beating chapter 9 with no restarts :o

Actually thought it was an easy level, but as you say :o
  • I just spent a good solid hour on one of the challenge maps (incidentally on the same map as chapter 9) against a lot of risen enemies. Picked a poor time to experiment with a half-weak lineup.

Luckily that level has a particularly convenient bottleneck, so I managed to dig in and get a lucky win in the end.

I now have one character maxed out at level 20, so I upgraded them to spiffy gold lined robes.
  • Relief, beat 5 on hard. One casualty.
  • This is the best game Ive played since Skyward Sword.
  • It warms my heart that you all love Fire Emblem as much as I do :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!