Retro Gaming
  • Midnight resistance was one of the first games I completed on the amiga500. Loved it. 

Rick Dangerous anyone?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ok this is probably one for @regmcfly but anyone with any knowledge of Japanese retro shops may be able to help.

A work colleague of mine is going out to Tokyo early next month and has offered to pick me up a SEGA/ Victor Wondermega. However I would not have the foggiest where to source one in Japan other than to say go to Akihabara. They are probably pretty rare over there to be honest so I'm thinking it's probably not something he is going to pick up in a Super Potato!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • That is the best looking console ever :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I think it was you that got my interest peaked in them Mark! They are going for about a grand on eBay which is just ridiculous. I'm hoping to pay half that max.
  • I'd love one, but they're way too pricy for me.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wonder how well the CD ROM drive is holding up in those? Bit of a gamble unless it can be replaced.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    JVC Wondermega is a thing of beauty, there's a slightly ugl;ier version which shuold be avoided though

edit: a quick google threw this page up which suggests that it may be user replaceable maintainable http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22027-Sega-CD-systems-repair-thread
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

• Never had a cube but always liked the look of this.
    It's like the antithesis of Nintendo's purple handle fisher price design.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I liked the Q at the time but it is very of it's time.
    Should be paired with an inflatable chair.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    They are probably pretty rare over there to be honest so I'm thinking it's probably not something he is going to pick up in a Super Potato!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Maybe go with a picture of what you want, to overcome that language barrier? I do remember reading that visits to Japan should, if possible, have tour guides whenever possible - if you're having a tour, maybe the guide could take you to places you want to see? "Take me to the tucked away retro game shops" might be a good start. Just guessing here. As you say, Reg is probably your best bet.

I'll be paying close attention, as my brother is going to Japan soon, and if he doesn't come back with a load of Neo Geo stuff for me, I'll disown him. ;)
    That is the best looking console ever :)

Definitely a contender.
    I liked the Q at the time but it is very of it's time.
    Should be paired with an inflatable chair.

Like something out of Troy McClure's apartment. "It's so modern, it's... ultra modern!"
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • A photo is definitely on the cards Swirl, Good idea. I wouldn't want the mark 2 version which as Cocko says looks shoddy in comparison.

Good point regarding the laser davy, (although that is something my dad would say!)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Maybe go with a picture of what you want, to overcome that language barrier?

Returns with a turbo toilet. The Q has too many buttons and LEDs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Good point regarding the laser davy, (although that is something my dad would say!)

:)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Look at this for an auction happening near me....

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/auctions/government-auctions/AuctionEvent?saleCode=173580&location=Belfast&lotPageNo=1

among the sports cars, film props and watches, there's a collection of arcade cabinets and pinballs. There's even a Vectrex and a couple of classic handhelds in there. Must have been some house this came from.

features a sit down Star wars and a Namco Propcycle!

• I read about that not long ago, can't for the life of me think where.

Please go and get the super creepy Willy Wonka and the Postman Pat van then drive around with Willy in the passenger seat.

• Thats absolutely incredible, it must have been Michael Jackson levels of craziness to have all that! Id be so tempted to bid on one of those arcade machines but my wife would kill me.
  • Has to be someone nerdy, like one of those hackers that sell info to the Russian mafia.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Assets recovery agency over here means it's quite probably the fruits of ill-gotten gains.

I'm definitely going.....if Battlezone goes for a song I might snipe it. Will have a pop at the Vectrex too.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think this question is mainly for @Moot but probably someone else might know stuff about this too.

I'm enjoying Super Metroid on the 3DS virtual console quite a bit right now, and there are a couple others on there that are of interest. Made me realize I just prefer playing games like this on a handheld, so what's the best handheld emulation option these days? Is there anything on the market that could handle steam games too? Not talking Witcher or whatever, more indie games like Inside or Firewatch.

I'm guessing that if something like that's out there it would be expensive. I've heard the original PSP is a good one to go for if it's emulation only? Part of me also wants a Gameboy Micro as it's region free and I got quite a few nice games already (was my first console) but there are good ones out there that I haven't played, most obvious ones are Astro Boy and Kuru Kuru Kururin.

Think there are some Raspberry Pi's out there that are made into handhelds too, not sure how good the emulation on those is.

Ideal scenario would actually be a Switch like emulation system, have it as a handheld for the single player games (I think they look better on smaller screens, and no hassling with the correct cables to get them looking as nice as possible on the tv) and be able to hook it to the tv for multiplayer Puzzle Bobble.

Pretty sure the 3DS eshop can keep me occupied for a while, just curious at what's out there right now. I realized I'm not gonna play all the PC games B buys on PC (family sharing) and rebuying them on the Vita would be waste of money, and there's no way I'm actually gonna collect physical retro games, plus I prefer them on handheld anyway.

I missed everything before the GameCube and GBA.
  • Top find lastant. A criminal with fine taste!

As for emulated handhelds Nina I have the GXD Singularity with the K1 Tegra chip. Its a bit of a monstrosity looks wise but it is a decent Android device that emulates everything upto DC level of graphics. There was an issue with Nvidias supply of k1 chips though so they had to redevelop the machine with a shittier chip so I would advise to try and find a K1 if possible.

There's another clamshell type portable that looks like a giant 3DS that's supposed to be quite decent too...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

A cannabis farm in a nuclear bunker. You have to admire the guy's style.

I'm glad it wasn't a member of one our "community organisations".

As it made national news it is unlikely there will be a bargain - some of those items will be worth making the trip for. But I'm going along just in case. You never know with an auction.

• The GPD Xp!
  • Nina, if you're looking for pre-Gamecube/GBA era there are plenty of handhelds that will do the job anywhere between competently and admirably. The cheapest of the cheap will run 8-bit and Megadrive titles well. GBA seems to run well on the cheapo machines too.

Since getting a Raspberry Pi I've drifted away from the handheld emulators because a) Retroking kitted it out for me and b) the emulation success rate seems higher (I've had plenty of problems with SNES games on various handhelds).

I had this. It's not perfect, but for the price it's excellent as a portable retro hub:

• Pretty certain the Vita can be modded too, and should be better than the PSP for performance.
  • I plan to do it once I'm through my pile of subscription shame, as I assume you can't go back to the official stuff once you've hacked it. It might depend on emulators, but PSP is weaker than my GemeiA330 for Megadrive sound.
  • I've not modded a Vita, but the PSP could go back to regular firmware at any point.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks all.

I saw the GXD Singularity that @Eric mentions in an MetalJesusRocks video (haven't been feeling well the past week, stumbled onto his channel and that's partly what made me interested in looking at my options here). He thought it was a bit too pricey for what you get. It looks heavy, how do the buttons feel on that one?

GPD X D looks nice, they also have a Windows one (costs about double the price though). Might be an option this one.

@Moot That JXD S7800B is another one that I think I saw in one of MetalJesus's videos. He didn't mention what it was, it was in his handheld drawer and I thought it looks nice. Can't find it on the official site though, it's either the Singularity or cheaper handheld clones. Haven't checked what they do, I'll keep the site bookmarked.

I'd rather not mod my Vita, as I got a couple of games to play, and it's region free (same for GBA), meaning I can pick up games here if I see any. Was thinking of maybe looking into a pspGo.

There's just too many option, must say that @Moot's post made me favour the Raspberry Pi at the moment, a quick google search for raspberry pi handheld shows some cool WiiU gamepad machines. Guess with some case modding you could still connect it to a tv with HDMI, and the 8bitdo retro controllers work with it as well I think. Which can also be used with the Switch and PC.
    Part of me also leans toward a Pi in a screen / little box, one that you can easily rotate for shmups. I got a good stick and buttons at my mom's place, for when I wanted to make a pc arcade stick.
    Just trying to get @Blue's attention, he always seems to find cool Pi Projects.

And yeah, it would be mainly for NES, SNES, MAME, and probably Sega stuff. Later stuff would be nice if the machine can handle it. Think with GBA games for example I'll just look out for cart only games of the ones I missed. I've always been one that wanted it complete, but it's about the game in the end. Not worth to pay the extra money as storage space is also an issue for me right now. I'll try to go digital for as many as possible (not sure if the vita has access to the psone games, but the psp did, and 3DS for some SNES / GB and NES games), but what's on offer digitally is just a small part of what's been released.

edit: I've just found out a Pi can also stream PC games. Probablt won't be able to keep up with the big action games, but for all the walking simulator's in my backlog it should be ok. Interesting.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Ironically, I think the PSPGo found it's niche when PSP emu became common place.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The Singularity isnt heavy at all, it feels hollow to be honest! Buttons are great and Id suggest its much more ergonomic than the Wii U. D pad is fine. Its not great for fightmans (its a bit angular) but fine for anything else!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!