Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I first got Cool Spot I never played past level 2 or so - but I found it more enjoyable this time around.

I usually avoid anything with a licence but it crept into Super Play's top 100 which is probably why I picked it up.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played some Smash Tennis this evening. Lovely little game that on SNES. Came across passwords for the tournament mode I had written on a slip of paper in the manual - dating back to January 2002!!!  The controls aren't as deep as Super Tennis (still to play that one) but I'm betting this beats it for charm. Has 4 player support too. There's more to it than meets the eye though - getting your character in the right position for forehand/backhand really makes a difference - quite a subtle game one you figure out the timing. Very nice.

Spindizzy Worlds too. What a bloody tough game that is. Found old passwords again - the levels I got stuck on are nightmarish - no wonder I gave up.

And Kirby's Dream Course - little arcadey golf style game. Gorgeous thing. Definitely a keeper. I need to go back to that - think this was one of the SNESmini games?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Compared my PAL and JP copies of Super Aleste then.

It seems they sped up the music in PAL to the same temp as the 60Hz equivalent. Means it plays too fast at 60Hz. The game seems to play at the correct speed at 60Hz though.

There seems to be differences in the soundtrack - on the short game the music is completely different. Nice game though. I'll be keeping my PAL copy with the box and wonderful Japlish manual.  JP is cart only.

Out to Lunch is a keeper. I find it a really charming game. Plays just fine at 60Hz with no issues. Music sounds the same at 50 and 60 - a lot of SNES games like that - the music must be synched with an internal timer and not the frame rate. Plok too.

Zelda LttP boots up in 60Hz with no moans at all - most 1st party games have a framerate check but not with this - seems to play fine so looks like it wasn't optimised (same deal with the music - sounds the same).  Pilotwings, F-Zero, SMW , SMK All Stars et all will glitch at 60Hz - they are the ones I'm replacing with SFC or US-NTSC.

Legend of Mystical Ninja and Prince of Persia - still classy - play fine at 60Hz. Keepers.

RType III has a 60Hz check at boot up but seems fine otherwise. Same deal with the music being the same at both framerates. This is a keeper - guessing it's hard to pay for no matter what the region. My PAL box is on the tatty side but it's intact and looks OK.
  • What is the issue with F-Zero? My PAL cart seems to be fine on my US Snes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually : F-Zero wasn't too bad - I think the starting sequence is out of synch (the GO!! signal is out of synch if I remember right) - otherwise it's fine.

Pilotwings and SMK glitch a lot. SMW and All Stars are not as glitchy but not really playable. A lot of screen flashes if I remember correctly.

I ended up getting a US cart of F-Zero but I'll probably get a JP version CIB if I can.
  • Oh yeah, the Go is out of sync for me. It's fine playing a US rom on the emulator.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It might be do with the DSP chip - I don't think F-Zero had it in the cart - Pilotwings and SMK did...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Booted up Vegas Stakes on SNES and one of the save files had Wifey's maiden name....we were married 24 years ago.  :)
  • I've still yet to have a battery die in a cart, and that includes the two NES Zelda games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So ploughed through the rest of my SNES carts.

Super Tennis feels faster than Smash but isn't just quite as nice looking. Far deeper game though. Will keep both. Smash moans about 60Hz at boot up but would consider converting to JP if the price is right.

Bomberman 1, Punch Out, Contra and Smash TV are all still splendid games - can't see me getting rid of these - so much nostalgia esp with Smash TV - God the hours we put into that. No boot up moans about 60Hz with these - thought Punch Out might have given it's a 1st party game. Music same speed at both framerates.

Tetris Attack moans at boot up about the 60Hz thing but that's it - given the amount of menus I'm better sticking with it - don't see the point of going to Panel de Pon and JP menus.  I have it on Gamecube anyhow.

Unirally is nice but I might consider selling it - I just can't see me spending any time with it. Vegas Stakes is a keeper because of that save file. :)  

Castlevania IV is a keeper - love that game. If I could do a straight swap for the JP version I'd probably do it - but I'd like it as well. I have the soundtrack on vinyl which is probably the nerdiest thing I have ever bought.

Yoshi's Island works flawlessly - I reckoned it would have glitched. Doesn't even have a 50/60Hz check - but I still fancy getting the JP version of it and selling the PAL version.

Super Adventure Island is fine. Nice game but it's a possibility for offloading. It's a charming game with a nice soundtrack - if the JP version was cheap I'd consider converting.

Zoop is under-rated. I love the soundtrack. Will probably keep it as I'm a sucker for puzzle games and I'll always throw it on from time to time. Depends if a JP version is available.

Un Squadron is a nice game. Costs a packet in JP I reckon though in its Area 88 guise. Will probably stick with it. No 60 moans.

Super Dropzone is a really good game. So fast and works fine at 60Hz with no moans. I tried it in multi-player and I noticed a major graphical glitch on one of the bosses - could be the 60Hz thing - could be a dirty cart connection - could be a bug as it only seems to happen in MP! I'll need to check it again in MP at 50Hz to see. But I'd like to keep this one - selling the original NES game still hurts a bit.
  • Uniracers is one that I sold recently whilst trimming the fat.

I can appreciate it but I never got into it. I find the DMA history and Pixar lawsuit more interesting than the actual game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PAL games I have that moan at bootup:

DKC , Kirby Dream Course, Plok, RType III. So they would be 3rd party game targets for moving to JPN. RType III probably too expensive. The only one that moans more than once is DKC - the others are strictly on power up - DKC does it after a game over or reset.
  • I take it you have a modded SNES with a 50/60Hz switch?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Used an s-video cable with it for years as my GC cable wouldn't work with it. Got a universal Nintendo RGB SCART cable a while back and have been enjoying the SNES looking better than ever. :)
  • I'm not usually one for accessories but this thing is bloody brilliant:

uZ1T5bA.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • I love mine.  From the retro inspired modern titles Horizon Shift '81, Switch 'n Shoot and Downwell are all excellent flipgrippers.  Plus they're often a quid each on EShop.

It's joy for pinball though.  Check out the Pinball FX3 free download - you get one table to keep and it's a pretty good one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Limited Run Games are tempting me again.

4 Megadrive Toaplan shmups repros being sold:

Zero Wing
    Fire Shark
    Truxton
    Hellfire.

I have originals of ZeroWing and Hellfire - could be tempted to go for one of the other two as they are well regarded but expensive. 40euro each.

There's even a boxset of all 4 on offer.
  • Noticed that M2 are remastering the Aleste series too if that's of any interest
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Aleste is the only one I've played.

Musha Aleste is the Megadrive one ? I have a repro of that.
  • Yes it is and repro is the way to go given it's super duper expensive!

Is it good? I think I've got the rom but never really invested any time into it.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't actually played it that much!!! From what I have played of it though it feels solid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rejigged the old game room today. The madness of this hobby eh?

T6pi6iH.jpg
  • Cool.

Why 3 Saturn's/PS2's and 2 GCN's?

Where's your Wii, Switch and any others?

Is that PC a T3610?

Also, that pic on the left, is it a celebrity? Looks awfully familiar for some reason.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    3 Saturns indeed. One is PAL , 2 are JP. I ended up getting a 2nd JP console as some JP versions of Sega Ages games don't run on the mk2. I ended up getting the mk1 with no box, cables or controller cheap to cover that.

The black GC is Japanese - it doesn't put out RGB , only s-video so I have it beside that flat screen that's the only screen I currently have that takes that. (I actually have a 3rd GC  - both my PAL GCs have the network adaptor so I can play LAD MKDD and 1080 - which I hardly ever do. The one on show has the GBA player installed.

Wii and Switch are downstairs. The 360 is in limbo - will end up downstairs but I might hook it up in the setup above for some TATE shmups if the notion takes me but I might get an older slim with RGB SCART to incorporate into the setup. My 360 is E series and is HDMI or composite out only.

The PC is a T5810 and is an official Dell refurb. The laptop is my work device - a Lattitude 7390.

The lady is one of my 70s favourites - Karen Black. That print was bought for me by my sister in law after a booze fed discussion on child/teen crushes.

I'm using an RGB switch to connect most of the consoles up to the 28" 4:3 CRT on the left (that Rubik's Cube is rather large - it even lights up if you charge it!) The switch is the silver box on the right of the rotated TV.
  • KAREN BLACK! That's it.

In the underrated Hitchcock film Family Plot. Also seen her in Airport and The Great Gatsby.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    KAREN BLACK! That's it. In the underrated Hitchcock film Family Plot. Also seen her in Airport and The Great Gatsby.

She was in Nashville too as one of the C&W singers - she even wrote her own songs for that. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh - meant to explain my 3 PS2s.....

The fat boy was the first I got - still the old workhorse. The silver slim is Japanese. The PAL slim? No idea why I have it.....The fat is connected to the rotated TV and the slim to the non rotated but that's an indulgence.

I have nice Hori mini stick for PS1 and it works with the PS2 fat for shmupping but won't with the slims which is a bit annoying as I have some JP shmups. Need to see if I can get a PS2 stick then.

I have actually got 3 N64s as well. The one on show is the modified JP for RGB. I have my old original PAL and an unmodified JP one. I really should sell the unmodded JP one.

Have a 2nd Dreamcast too - it's downstairs hooked up with a VGA cable but it hardly ever gets used.
  • Sounds like you got a few duplicates you could get rid of mate. I've got a JAP N64 to sell after picking up an RGB modded one last month.

I'm gonna pack away my Wii U soon and set the N64 up in it's place, just waiting for the RAD2X to be delivered before I do.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!