Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Show me another open world game that has a huge chunk of the map like the one above completely out of bounds and walled off. Even the first game had more open areas than this sequel. It's pretty shoddy world map design, no matter how you try to spin it. It's a massive hole in the game map!

The original Dragon's Dogma had huge chunks of the map completely out of bounds, like I said. It's still an open world game. You've not been conned
  • Yeah, i'm finding this one super open. It does the same thing the first does - kinda hub and spoke type central points that you can head off from, but these spokes now have more paths leading off of them, more verticality, more secrets, shortcuts and loops. It's not a flat walk from one end to the next style open world, but it is open and full of stuff to do and see. 

I really, really like the way it is laid out and, like sth like Death Stranding, it forces me to often stop and look at the world and think about what the right way to get somewhere is. 

Plus, some of those save systems are fucking mahoosive.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There’s also tons of depth compared to most open world games (maybe with the exception of Elden Ring). Even yesterday on the common path from Melve to Venrath that I’ve walked loads I found another cave as headed slightly off the path. There’s always something to find or discover. Not sure what more you could want.
  • Yeah, I keep finding new stuff, even on paths i've already travelled. Sometimes it's my own discovery, sometimes it's a pawn that saw something before. And if i really don't fancy a walk...I just take an oxcart. It's easy enough.
  • Here's the full world map when revealed in NG+
    Spoiler:

Circled red region is the 'mountain' where you can't go.

Awesome.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Call the police or something
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If all the things to get riled up about in this game, this ain’t it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's the way of things these days. A mountain you can't climb. Micro transactions that I still don't know how to access and would be oblivious to if it wasn't for the OUTRAGE. Three second loading screens. Beaches that aren't proper beaches, merely sand where the sea meets the land.

dwight-dwighttheoffice-dwighthowl-howl-the-gif-19171822.gif
  • Caved in and bought this. The boy is having a field day with it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • His character is a fat thief coincidentally called gurt. Gurt likes throwing creatures over cliffs.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • If this was an Elden Ring, a Zelda or even a Witcher with a big fecking gaping hole in the map then you'd bet they'd be uproar. But this game gets a free pass because?

Either Capcom couldn't be bothered to create meaningful content for this uncharted area, so confident were they that some gamers would be too dim to question why there is a big fecking gaping hole in my map. Or it's an unfortunate byproduct of their 'level design' which funnels the player along tight woodland corridors. 'Oh, we've made a massive circular road...better just stick a mountain in the middle of it then'

In an age where open world RPGs tell us 'see that mountain?, you can climb it', this one tells us you can't. Corridor shooters might be dead, but Capcom have given birth to the Corridor RPG.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Do you not think there's a circular road there because they put the mountain in first? You know, like how roads tend to work in real life?

Surely since you're that clever you must have thought about that?
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    In age where open world RPGs tell us 'see that mountain?, you can climb it', this one tells us you can't.

This is kind of the fundamental difference here - just because one RPG offers mile wide, millimetre deep pre-chewed gameplay, doesn't mean every RPG has to follow that trend. It'd reductive, and one open world can do things different from another. It does no one any good to hold a genre of games to a certain bunch of "essential" standards. Roguelites must have build variety? Returnal says no. Deckbuilders should avoid RNG? Balatro says no. Open Worlds must let you traverse every single inch of the map otherwise be defined as linear, corridor games? GTA3 says no. Mafia says no. Dragons Dogma says no. 

It's a corridor RPG if you follow that road, but there's a hundred paths off it. There's no bunny hopping up the side of the mountain, no sucking stamina potions and praying it doesn't rain. These are not inherently better choices by default. They are different ones. It's elegant curated design. Leaving Venworth, the circular road asks you to go north or go west, and each path holds a hundred possibilities. 

Maybe try not to insult people who don't hold your same viewpoint by calling them dim? It's honestly quite shitty, Blocks.
  • It's clearly no Unicorn Overlord.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just downloaded the demo. Can you climb mountains?
  • Only in your mind.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Actually, I think they block off routes and you can't really cross them... Hmm.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Here's the full world map when revealed in NG+
    Spoiler:

Circled red region is the 'mountain' where you can't go.

Awesome.

a69.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

Actually, I think they block off routes and you can't really cross them... Hmm.

In the bin.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    In age where open world RPGs tell us 'see that mountain?, you can climb it', this one tells us you can't.

This is kind of the fundamental difference here - just because one RPG offers mile wide, millimetre deep pre-chewed gameplay, doesn't mean every RPG has to follow that trend. It'd reductive, and one open world can do things different from another. It does no one any good to hold a genre of games to a certain bunch of "essential" standards. Roguelites must have build variety? Returnal says no. Deckbuilders should avoid RNG? Balatro says no. Open Worlds must let you traverse every single inch of the map otherwise be defined as linear, corridor games? GTA3 says no. Mafia says no. Dragons Dogma says no. 

It's a corridor RPG if you follow that road, but there's a hundred paths off it. There's no bunny hopping up the side of the mountain, no sucking stamina potions and praying it doesn't rain. These are not inherently better choices by default. They are different ones. It's elegant curated design. Leaving Venworth, the circular road asks you to go north or go west, and each path holds a hundred possibilities. 

Maybe try not to insult people who don't hold your same viewpoint by calling them dim? It's honestly quite shitty, Blocks.

It's daft trying to make out that a mountain is shit design or something that wasn't even thought about. It's an obstacle to be navigated. You can walk round (two separate ways I'm sure, where you'll experience different journeys), take the ox cart or chuck a port crystal down in Melve and save yourself some time. But they're all gameplay driven.

Same as encountering a downed bridge. If it's one of the small wooden ones you could wait for a repair. Lure a Cyclops over to it and create your own bridge by knocking him into the gap. Pop a harpy smoke thing and grab on to them to get you across. Or trek up or down the river for another crossing. It's good design, not something they've not given any thought to ffs
  • Well I've just found a sprawling cave system that conceivably goes underneath a mountain so that's alright then.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is this really spoiling the game for you? I honestly don’t get it. The game maybe, for me, GOTY even with its faults. I’m trying to understand why part of a map being greyed out is a killer.
  • Can you talk to the mountain?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Only with DLC.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gaz you're not equipping your pawn with any fighting skills or setting a pawn quest for them
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had an unbelievable session on this tonight. Started near the border and picked up a couple of pawns who needed to kill a Cyclops for a reward. No problem, I headed straight to where the drake is scrapping with one so it can do all the hard graft while I snipe from safety from the ballista. Job done, leg it back to town and send both pawns back with a decent gift.

I pick up another two hardcore pawns, one being an old friend in Geif, both of them needing another Cyclops bumped off. I decided to go exploring because I wasn't anywhere near a place I know they mooch about in, I ended up on an epic adventure through mountain passes and caves, killing a couple of minotaur and a 'clops in amongst the usual goblins and Saurians. I kept pushing and ended up all the way to the land of the cat people, by a waterfall. It's a nice change of scenery, looks scorching hot so I suppose I can see why some of the outfits are a bit on the skimpy side. Geif was getting a fair tan on the old buttocks.

There's fuck all by means of a settlement here, ruins everywhere and even the roads don't look like they see much action. Bumfuck nowhere is what it feels like to me. A spot of timb raiding, dodging a scrap with a drake and after getting stuck into a griffon and actually killing it after I thought it had escaped, I've had to turn off because it's stupid o'clock. I hate ending a session away from a town like this, I prefer to send the pawns on their way, sell my shit and upgrade any equipment if I can in preparation for the next session.

I'm getting handy with the old spear now too, there's a decent stun move which slows enemies down and an energy shield which keeps you out of mischief which are pretty cheap to keep on using as the stamina cost is minimal. I realized that the spear thrust thing can also get you safely across huge gaps too, although it won't save you from fall damage. Need an inn to unlock more stuff.

The map is absolutely gigantic too, I was travelling for ages and when I pulled up the map to see how far I'd come it was a pitiful distance, much less than I was expecting. Plenty of life in it yet
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Also, are pawns cross platform or not? We should set up a pyramid scheme type thing where we give them a piss easy quest but for a load of gold as the reward, 10k is the highest I've seen. I think you only pay up when you set the quest, not each and every time it's completed, so you'll be taking money in. Unless it does take it each time and I'll be skint next time I log on.

I might need to change my quest actually, I'm after the stamina roborants to keep me mounted on monsters for longer, but I think people will be hesitant to give useful still like that away. Lol at the silly buggers asking for port crystals, seeker tokens and the golden bug things, absolute dreamers
  • Also, are pawns cross platform or not?

Hmmm, my initial instinct was to say no - friend search would only be friends on that platform. But...pawns in the general population? Maybe. 

If anyone on PC or Xbox wants to search for Momo Letour they can find out.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Will take a look later.
  • If it doesn't work by name search, can always try "Search by Pawn ID". Will drop the ID in here later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!