Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Nop there isn’t a port crystal you’ll have to plonk one down.

I've only found the one portable one, and I've left it in a handy spot up in the north west. Found two more stationary ones, one obvious one in Vernworth (although I didn't find that for a long time) the other one in a bit of a daft place to be honest. Maybe it was an important area back in the day
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That second one yeah, but I get why. I did get a second Port Crystal and there is a way to buy them later in the game. I do find this kind of game design where you have great stuff hidden until the end game kind of frustrating, like give me the Magic Archer half way through so I can enjoy what you made a big deal of pre-launch.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think it's built around multiple playthroughs.

I love not knowing what I should be doing first time round. Makes you have to think about what to do next, where to go etc. I can see me spending a lot of time south of the border because getting back before I've found another port crystal is going to be a ball ache
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I never found a second port crystal down south, got it from a quest up north.

How you getting on with the dragons now?
  • I got hold of a couple via some
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I never found a second port crystal down south, got it from a quest up north.

How you getting on with the dragons now?

I'm getting on fine with them. We've come to an arrangement, I leave them the fuck alone and they don't kill me.

I've levelled loads and increased my Spearhand vocation to max since the last time I saw one though, and got a better feel for the class. The shield and slowdown thing is actually pretty OP now
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Should be able to take em out now then :-)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You gauntlet throwing son of a bitch, it's on. Tonight I hunt a wyrm!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    :-D Go on son!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bought this dogshit today on the grounds of all your insufferable positivity. Let's see how it goes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @b0r1s

Never dare a fool
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    1rRk.gif
    Spoiler:
  • I've got thoughts about the best and worst classes.

Thief is ridiculously OP. Probably the best I've played.

Warrior is absolute garbage tier. Definite worst I've played.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I saw a bit of Cohh doing a warrior early on. He was moaning that it was too slow but it looked like the Monster Hunter great sword to me, hits hard but you have to pick your shots. I found that very satisfying to use
  • Despite my reservations about the map, the game is still capable of delivering moments of sheer beauty, like when I stumbled at night upon a giant wraith floating through a field of glowing mushrooms.

But then it still has instances where it has me scratching my head - 'Checkpoint Rest Town' - WTF?!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It has a lousy frame rate and feels quite janky. Have they said they can do something about that with a patch?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They have patched it, but apparently still working on it. The main frame rate issues are in the towns with all the NPCs, out of town I had 60+ FPS, so most battles were fine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm on Xbox and the frame rate seems to be set at 30 max.

I went with an archer, which I think was a mistake on my part. Much prefer whacking things with a sword. Can I change at some point?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh yes, on console it's set at 30fps, can't see that changing.

Yes, easy enough to change vocation, in the towns or certain inns, it'll be an option in the menu when you talk to the guild or an inn keeper.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, there's no performance mode. Don't know why, it's not a particularly good looking game.
  • Fuck the framerate! The question everyone should be asking is 'Who names a settlement 'Checkpoint Rest Town'?!

A hero wandered for many years through the dale. He slew many monsters and fought against many mighty foes. None mightier than the Dragon. For many days and nights did he battle against the Wyrm. Until finally he slew his mortal enemy and held his sword aloft, uttering his victory cry: "I shall name this place Checkpoint Rest Town in honour of my triumph!"

The townsfolk looked at each other sheepishly and longed for the day when a new hero would rise who was a bit more literate.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I've had a lot of success with warrior. We could just bully big enemies, including dragons, by chaining knock-downs. Evasive enemies were annoying at first but more than manageable once you get the hang of it. Harpies not so much, get an archer for those. I'd say it's decent, much stronger than fighter at least, but the thief is on another level. Those two master skills feel like cheating.

I do get the impression that the difficulty is set a little low and the lack of any sort of enemy scaling (right?) makes most combat encounters trivial once you've leveled up a bit and figured out your vocation.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lol, after fretting about the Dragonsplague since I heard about it, worrying about what happens and how you can even tell if a pawn has it, don't worry. You'll not miss a pawn who joins your party with it because there's an accompanying tutorial pop up about it.

I've just took on a Capcom level 42 pawn called Payne after he popped out from one of those rift stones out in the wild. Doesn't mention anything wrong with him in the status bit. Doesn't look like he's suffered from anything either. I'll keep an eye on the bugger because I don't think I'll get a pop up about it again so want to know what to look for. If it wasn't for that I'd already have chucked the fucker off this cliff
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dragonsplague stuff inside:
    Spoiler:

Talking about messing up my run, I dunno if I've fucked up the Mystic Spearhand guy. He popped up a while ago before a scrap with a dragon, where he joined in. Except instead of killing the thing with his help I snuffed it and after reloading he was nowhere to be seen. Not dead, I'm pretty sure.

So I went through the NPC list and found where he lived and decided to drop by his gaff after checking out the southern city morgue. There was one guy in there I've never seen before, no sign of my man and it cost 5000g just to check. Scandalous. After a long old trek back up north there's no sign of the fucker in his house either.

It was Melve where I first bumped into him, so I'll try there next, but it's odd. The twat gets around, how am I supposed to find him? Is fighting and winning against a dragon part of his quest? I've fought and killed one since and he's not shown up. I'm going to check the morgue in Vernworth to make sure he's not in there too but they apparently get put in the morgue closest to where they died so I'm not expecting much. I might have fucked up the chance to get the final Spearhand ability if I can't find the bugger
  • As far as I'm aware, it was some black dude who taught me the way of the Mystic Spearhand. And he popped up in Melve I think during the scripted encounter with a first dragon.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Paul - I had a similar thing with an elf character who was part of a recurring event quest thing, but I'm sure he died while I was fighting a dragon, pretty sure he either got eaten or turned to ash as I couldn't find anything after the battle. I probably should have trekked back to the Elf-town to see if his body was there, but couldn't be arsed.
  • I finished the endgame and it was a frustrating experience tbh because of time constraints that were not made clear, so wanted to warn you all. I've been offered to restart the game with all my equipment and stuff but not sure if I can be bothered at the moment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You can also go back to the last inn you rested at and start from there. NG+ you also keep your experience level, so you'll plough through the early game stuff.
  • This is ok. It seems a bit fetch questy right now? Hit the main town where all of the various shops are and done a quest late at night to uncover a plot. I'm really early days, but it seems to be missing a few QoL things? Target Lock on?  Combat seems to be 'Let's have a huge pile on and see who wins' 
    If I give a potion to someone do they automatically consume it? 
    Being told some of my characters are heavy, but I think I'm too early game to know what I should be holding on to and what I should be dropping. 
    Looks like it's going to be a late nighter, chipping away at it a bit at a time until I finish.  
    Will no doubt as always, proclaim it to be the best game made ever in three weeks, as per normal.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Your inventory is sorted into sections but it's not really clear. Crafting items seem to be scattered throughout, but it goes in order of healing items, consumables like spell books, weapons and armour, upgrade materials. I'm going off memory so this is probably a bit wonky and I'll have missed stuff, but if you have a scroll through you'll see what I mean and start to get a feel for it.

To keep weight limits under control, craft everything you can and sell the excess. If you have a mage with you healing potions aren't really worth carrying around, so I sell those too. Dump the rest into the stash at the inn, their inventories link up and are accessable from shops when enhancing gear so you don't need to carry upgrade materials around.

Target lock is for the weak, it's not needed in Monster Hunter and it's not needed here. What are you playing as by the way? I found the fighter to be gash and switched from it as soon as I'd unlocked the decent passive abilities. It's a great pick for your pawn though as they can attract all the aggro and let you fight one on one most of the time

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!