• n0face wrote:
    £8.50 for a brand newish pair of headphones
    PXL-20240418-193315008.jpg
    PXL-20240418-195348095.jpg
    PXL-20240418-200111717-MP.jpg

Thanks for the inspo Syph

This pleases me so much
  • Rev wrote:
    Any tips for ps5 dual sense drift? Tried the reset job, but don't want to try taking it apart to clean it.thanks in advance

Hi Rev. Getting inside DualSense isn’t for the faint hearted, but it’s possible with just one screwdriver and a pry tool. You can try cleaning the stick out with some IPA, but in my experience it’s a short-term solution, unless there’s something obvious in the stick like pet hair or food crumbs. The other alternative is stick replacement. I can help with that, if that’s a direction you’d like to go down.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Wonder how many fully functional pairs of headphones are in landfill because they look a bit ratty.

Yeah. There's a little side hustle right there if one was so inclined.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    There's a little side hustle right there if one was so inclined.

giphy.gif
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The left stick on my Xbox pad went yesterday whilst I was being stalked by a wolf in The Long Dark - not exactly ideal timing. I've opened it up today and it seems that the stick has actually snapped off and is firmly lodged in the thumbstick. 

Looks like I'm going to be doing some soldering.
  • Shout if you need any advice or help.
  • Good luck playing COD without a left stick.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Press F to pay respects to Dante's analogue stick.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • All been quiet on this thread for a while, as I’ve largely just been fixing PS5’s and the repairs haven’t been that interesting.

I did ‘fix’ a unit advertised as overheating. I paid a little less because it had been opened up before (a red flag in this game) and the seller had advised his friend had looked at it (second red flag).

When I got down to the mainboard I found that the ‘friend’ had used thermal paste on several components and half the Liquid Metal was missing. No wonder if was overheating then…

GOiK3bNWIAEm1wB?format=jpg

I also had a no display console that was a little more interesting than the HDMI port. I’d overpaid somewhat for this, thinking it would be a simple port swap. Turns out the retimer chip had gone bad (I found this through testing the resistance of components around it). Luckily I’ve got enough donor boards for replacement parts - as they’re around £60 otherwise and it would’ve killed any hope of making a return on it.

Coming up next I have a curious Pokemon themed Switch Lite with a Dpad issue, a Meta Quest 2 that won’t charge, and a Panic Playdate with an intermittent screen problem.
  • Oh and I did fix a Series S with basically no original wires on the HDMI port. It was a crazy repair, which I’m super proud of. However, if bizarrely only works on one monitor in my house and not any of the TV’s. Bringing it back to life is fun and it now my Xbox. Maybe one day I’ll get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I do have one more that has around half the wires missing, so should be a slightly easier task.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Oh and I did fix a Series S with basically no original wires on the HDMI port. It was a crazy repair, which I’m super proud of. However, if bizarrely only works on one monitor in my house and not any of the TV’s. Bringing it back to life is fun and it now my Xbox. Maybe one day I’ll get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I do have one more that has around half the wires missing, so should be a slightly easier task.

This is the console with all the replacement traces all in place and ready for the port to be applied. I’ve used solder mask to protect the wiring from the heat needed to get the port on the board.

GOl5KSzXkAEoNNF?format=jpg

The good news is, after a little fine tuning, we’re in business and the console is working as it should.

GOl5KS9XYAEPqyC?format=jpg

Had a few spare parts, so this is a Series S for £50. Nice.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Trace repair is where I would absolutely give up the ghost - I would enjoy following shorts around the board etc trying to find the issue, but as soon as anything got close to needing trace repair my manual dexterity would say HELL NO!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Solid work as ever, Syph
  • Questor wrote:
    Trace repair is where I would absolutely give up the ghost - I would enjoy following shorts around the board etc trying to find the issue, but as soon as anything got close to needing trace repair my manual dexterity would say HELL NO!

Says the guy stitching the equivalent of the Zelda Bayeaux tapestry!

It’s just practice and patience
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Oh and I did fix a Series S with basically no original wires on the HDMI port. It was a crazy repair, which I’m super proud of. However, if bizarrely only works on one monitor in my house and not any of the TV’s. Bringing it back to life is fun and it now my Xbox. Maybe one day I’ll get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I do have one more that has around half the wires missing, so should be a slightly easier task.

This is the console with all the replacement traces all in place and ready for the port to be applied. I’ve used solder mask to protect the wiring from the heat needed to get the port on the board.

The good news is, after a little fine tuning, we’re in business and the console is working as it should.

Hi
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think he's selling it for £50 you spraff
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:

Hi

Do you want a Series S, Reg?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!