Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • Bob wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    Also. Can someone please help with what happened to Leia? Looks like she just stopped living after sending kylo a message.

I think the probably ran out of footage? also Maz Cateena or whatever her name is suggest that Leia knows what she has to do.. hinting at some kind of scarifice.. and then her body disappears cos that's what Jedi do iirc?

Lol. Sounds a bit like David Cameron's reaction to the Great Brexit Wars. I wonder what his force ghost is up to? Probably fucking a dead pig's mouth round the back of the butcher's.

Gosh, she was so annoying that max cantina, smirky know it all. Who the fuck is she, even. Didn't she dial into the last movie. Eugh.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • She seemed to own a pub (or canteen if you will) in the first movie so what the fuck she was doing advising the jedi high council by the end.. she knows stuff though.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It’s not just any old pub. It a pub with anakin Skywalkers light saber in the basement.
  • You can all stop squabbling - dick the birthday boy has uploaded his review

https://youtu.be/5pAsss_nTlk
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Watched five minutes and decided it needs to be done justice on the big telly.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great stuff. Andy, do yourself a favour and give it a swerve, you'll save on some unnecessary conniptions.

So much dumb shit that passed me by first time. Palps just straight up wills that massive fleet of turbo star destroyers into existence? My days.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's everyone's take on old Palps anyway? I thought he survived the second Death Star explosion. Can't understand why he'd be in a fucked up ancient form if he can just knock out clones to possess.
  • What's better than a Death Star?  

5000 Death Starz!!!
  • Great stuff. Andy, do yourself a favour and give it a swerve, you'll save on some unnecessary conniptions.

So much dumb shit that passed me by first time. Palps just straight up wills that massive fleet of turbo star destroyers into existence? My days.

I thought he said they'd been building then all this time...though quite why they then buried them and he had to raise then up like i dunno. There's a few too many things people do that only makes sense in the context of "this will look good in a movie " but that seems to be JJ's way
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Still it makes more sense to put it on a space ship.

How did the aim that death star? Or move it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Do the force star destroyers suggest the original ones were also force space ships?
  • half in the bag review is out:
  • half in the bag review is out:

This is fucking unacceptable, it's already been posted U SHOULD FEEL VERY BAD
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hope someone makes a gif of Jay doing the fuck sign while Rich grins. 55:10 for any fans of comedy out there.
  • Im not fully up to speed on the thread yet. But I thought this was excellent fun. The design, both creature and environment was stunning. Really blew TLJ out of the water in design stakes alone.
    So onto some specifics.

Rey healing -> In the tv show Rebels Ezra has a big talent for dealing with animals etc. So not at all surprising that Rey could sense injury (Through regular or force means). Also, she had the Jedi texts and so most likely picked up a few skills from that and was actively training. (Oh and in Mando  healing is a thing)

Rey is a Palps -> No issue with this. This trilogy was meant to wrap up the Skywalker Saga after all. Made sense why she would have been hidden and that Luke/Leia knew about her. Its fine.

Rose/Finn -> I thought that was quite well acted by Rose. Those looks from her to Finn really told the story without need of much dialogue. 

Force Finn -> I think Finn fancied the arse off Rey AND he was force sensitive. Both are what he wanted to tell her IMO.

Luke catching the saber -> Not sure if you guys know but I detested TLJ. :D  I LOVED the line when Luke catches the saber as Rey throws it into the fire: "the weapon of a Jedi is to be treated with more respect" or something like that. It was plain Mark Hamill loved saying that line.

Han visits Ben -> This one yeah was mostly pure cheese and fan service though it did show Ben's pain at what he had done. And it delivered another great Han "I know" line. That one drew the most eye leakage from me.

Rebels -> Anyone else spot The Ghost landing at the end of the movie? Also apparently Kanan and Ahsoka were two of the Jedi voices at the end.

Ben - Rey -> Really loved Ben's arc throughout and that smile when Rey kissed him felt really earned.

Chewie -> Disappointed/relived that Chewie didnt die in the trooper. Super cheap moment. But it did show that awesome force tug o war between Kylo and Rey.

Richard E Grant -> Shooting Hux was cool.

Zorii Bliss -> DAT AZZZZ THO!!!!!

Leia Jedi -> The de aging was shite on her but it was cool to confirm she was a Jedi.

Snap Wexley-> Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

There are issues but man I thoroughly enjoyed it. Id imagine JJ had a real struggle to deliver the final film after the shitbomb he was handed from TLJ. This film really does feel compacted as a result. Two movies worth in one.
    Looking at the three movies, my initial thoughts are TLJ could be left out and nothing be missed. It did not progress the story in any way. 

I didnt like that objects could be physically passed between Rey and Ben. Bit cheap that.

The biggest question I have though is where was the New Republic Navy? I think it was mentioned that it didnt exist. There not being a Navy would explain why the First Order was running rampant unchallenged.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Navy was destroyed along with the Hosnian system in TFA.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Force Finn -> I think Finn fancied the arse off Rey AND he was force sensitive. Both are what he wanted to tell her IMO.

Finn wanting a bit of forceplay but Rey snubs him before heading off to live on her own with a droid.
  • Fuck "the old men" (my ex's name for RLM)... They hated it and I gotta admit it sucked but now I'm in battol with reg I look like a weako if I admit it
  • tin_robot wrote:
    The desire to throw TLJ under the bus was utterly arbitrary- there are things that would have worked better if they’d kept them... (The cavalry at the end would have been infinitely more meaningful, if we had kept TLJs “anyone can be an awesome Jedi” message for instance... Whilst Poe’s struggle with leadership could have been more effective if allowed to reflect on his failures from before.). Though at least they had the sense to use Luke’s final moments from TLJ to inform Leia’s exit, and provide a decent ending for her. So, yeah, it did what was expected - nostalgia and restoration of the status quo - but made the whole Star Wars Universe much smaller as a result.
    100% disagree on this.

TLJs “anyone can be an awesome Jedi” message. That was nonsense. Its known in SW that randomers have different levels of force sensitivity and always has been the case. I still dont get why people think this is some new meaningful direction from Rian. As far as Im concerned,in the movies anyone can have awesome force powers. In Rise its even hinted that Finn has force sensitivity.

Regarding Poe, he did reflect on what happened in TLJ. He saw they were fucked and was about to pull out his forces before the cavalry showed up. He knew before that he wasnt ready making Finn a general alongside him.

Again totally disagree the whole Star Wars Universe was made smaller. Its wide open now. There are no real Jedi or Sith forces left and no Empire or rebels. Sure the story moved in some predictable ways but expanded the universe so much with beautiful new locations and designs.
    TLJ shrank the universe for me. It stripped away most of the mystery and added nothing of its own. It was like seeing the bald,moustachioed actor under the Bobba Fett helmet. Nobody wants to see that.
    Even if you take Rise as a cliche ridden dud, the inventive design and some cool set pieces were leagues ahead of TLJ.

Im on page 6 of the thread and most of the arguments are about the lore and backstory. Which is what it should be about IMO, not the physics of a meaningless space chase.

What I admire though is JJ did take elements he liked from TLJ. The tie fighters could clearly track the Falcon when Poe started lightspeed skipping for example. Whereas Rian Johnson just seemed to be on a tear down mission.

I do want to be clear. Im not having a go at you at all. Each to their own and all that.
  • I forgot about the young Leia scene. Would have preferred a nod to her EU Lady Vader title, and have her using a red saber.

• This is fucking unacceptable, it's already been posted U SHOULD FEEL VERY BAD

Soz marra...assume you mean RedDave post but i didn't get the reference or see embedded video, just a link.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The ENTIRE navy???? Wow lol.
  • Ya all missing the most important question. How did the emperor get thousands of troops trained and hired in the first place? Intergalactic sith monster jobs board? How did they get supplies to exobar if the only waybto get there is via the waypoint devices? How did they build the ships underground?

Cant wait for the robot chicken and family guy versions of this.
  • The Knights of ren were proper shit though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The ENTIRE navy???? Wow lol.

I checked Wookiepedia after posting this and it turns out the remnants were ordered to return to their home planets to protect them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There's lots of bobbins in Rise, but i put the blame for nearly all of it on TLJ. Perhaps if that hadn't killed the bad guy, destroyed the enemy fleet, killed Luke, had Rey already face off and reject kylo, and leave absolutely no story to carry on...then maybe Rise wouldn't have had to throw so much rubbish at you. As it is, it says "look, don't think about it, just trust me and we'll get out of this in a fun way " and it achieved it for me.
    I'm sure it will seem pretty hollow for repeat viewings, a bit like TFA, cos it's so shallow...but at least it's fun to watch unlike TLJ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Luke catching the saber -> Not sure if you guys know but I detested TLJ. :D  I LOVED the line when Luke catches the saber as Rey throws it into the fire: "the weapon of a Jedi is to be treated with more respect" or something like that. It was plain Mark Hamill loved saying that line.

Han visits Ben -> This one yeah was mostly pure cheese and fan service

Loving the juxtaposition there.
  • Why is snoke a desired baddie for the third one? Ren could easily have been reys main threat. Unless of course a second outing for darth Vader’s Exact story was considered a worthwhile time sink.
  • Also why is Luke going away in the middle one bad? It was either going to be him or Leia gone? He was always going to need a big redemption because he ballsed up Bens Olo.
  • Benz Olo was written out of the canon when Disney took over

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!